GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Possible (?) MIB2 DIY retrofit (including CP bypass and Fec's enabling)

vag.flashdaten

Car(s)
A4
What is required for you to help?
Hi.
Send me PM with unit details (manufacturer, part number, or SW version) for activation requirements

siyaonline

Car(s)
Golf 7 GTI DSG
These are really great news.
I had my maps locked on my retrofitted Discover Pro MIB1 since 2015. CP was removed by local VW agent in South Africa but were unable to activate maps. I bought the Map Update SD Card with hopes that it would activate the maps but instead it was unreadable.
@vag.flashdaten, can you also please assist me as well and let me know what tools are required for remote assistance.

Attachments

• Maps locked.jpg
    Maps locked.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 344
  • Maps working on reserve fuel.jpg
    Maps working on reserve fuel.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 424
  • Unreadable SD Card - Maps.jpg
    Unreadable SD Card - Maps.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 346

21tesla

Car(s)
Audi TT
If I could add a related question to this thread...

I have an 2016 Audi TT that has CarPlay enabled. My software version is 1389. This particular software version and the one higher than it (1448) on the TTRS suffers from the random screen blanking issue. This issue was only fixed in the new software update 1462 with VAG part number 4M0906961EK.

I no longer have the original FecContainer file on my car -- only the modified one with the CarPlay extensions. If I purchased the new SD card and installed it, I imagine that all of my FEC's would be deemed illegal since it isn't signed correctly ? How badly functioning would the car be in that case? Completely innoperable?

In this messed up state, would there be a path forward to log into the car and flash a patched version of either the entire ifs-root file system or possibly just stage2-ifs where the MIBroot file is found thereby making the illegal Fec file, legal again? Using the 1389 software as a test case, I have practiced decompressing the file system on the SD card, dissassembling MIBroot, patching it, and recompressing the file system. I wrote a small script to pull the existing FEC's from a container file and package them as input to the Fec generator script. One thing I have not done is flash my own car mainly because on the slim chance that I messed it up, I would need to be even more confident that I could restore the software from a crazy state.

If the root password changed on this newly released version 1462 software, even with hashcat and good GPU, I imagine it might take a while to determine the password from /etc/shadow_rcc by brute force.

Any insights to solving this problem are greatly appreciated. I have never come across a description of someone re-modifying an already modified MIB2.

simaservis1108

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Seat Leon 5F FR
After you update,FEC will be rejected yes.

I can reactivate them after update.
Using older ifs will brick the unit...

simaservis1108

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Seat Leon 5F FR
Nothing new.But it doesnt work on US units.
Most US units are with 1 SD card slot,and the ones with 2 slots will be stuck after applying solution found floating online for free as it is incomplete.

Sc629

Go Kart Newbie
Aw that’s disappointing. Still haven’t come around to pay $200 for CarPlay activation

Dr.Ed

Passed Driver's Ed
After some time spend on self-study on this subject, I managed to remove Component Protection on my Harman 9.2" Mib 2.5. Next step was downloading and modifying FecContainer.fec (add VIN of my own car and VCRN, and add all supported fec's) and than back uploading to the device. Crossed my fingers, and rebooted the device. All options are working.....Phewwwwww.
groter.jpegmibcarplay.jpegpowerhmi.jpegmqbcoding.jpeg
Always, always start with a backup of the working system!!!!

Sc629

Go Kart Newbie
After some time spend on self-study on this subject, I managed to remove Component Protection on my Harman 9.2" Mib 2.5. Next step was downloading and modifying FecContainer.fec (add VIN of my own car and VCRN, and add all supported fec's) and than back uploading to the device. Crossed my fingers, and rebooted the device. All options are working.....Phewwwwww.
View attachment 191727View attachment 191728View attachment 191730View attachment 191731
Wow how did you do this and what do you need to do it? Does it only work on MIB2.5 Harman?

simaservis1108

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Seat Leon 5F FR
View attachment 191727View attachment 191728View attachment 191730View attachment 191731

Yes,solution is floating around for EU units.
I think not self study,but download already made solution.
Why would you back up Variant if only adding FEC? :)

Dr.Ed

Passed Driver's Ed
In my case it's a Mib2.5 Harman. Other devices are not on my list, but certainly are do able. It's all about hardware and firmware and basic knowledge of the QNX system software on MIB systems. Use common sense when flashing/reprogramming this equipment!

The basic document: here

Good topic about getting Carplay activated on a MIB2 on the AudiTT forum: here

Dr.Ed

Passed Driver's Ed
Yes,solution is floating around for EU units.
I think not self study,but download already made solution.
Why would you back up Variant if only adding FEC? :)

Agreed, if you know your way you can buy complete software solution for Harman and Delphi. But hey i'm the IT guy, so I can decompress a file, change 3 bits in a ifs-root.ifs file, compress it and upload it. It's not a money thing...... it's education!