GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Possibility of EA888 style intake system retrofit on 1.4T EA211?

morningglory125

Hey guys,

Not saying I’m regretting buying MK7.5 1.4T R-line as my first car (but geeeez EA888 is so nice)
MEME.jpg

But every time this angle just makes me speechless....
微信图片_20200429194721.jpg

Anyway, trying to remedy the poor 110KW engine, considering starting with stage I ECU tune & easy intake mods.

Here comes the fun part:

When I browsing ECS for parts that should fit EA211, this 2019 north America Jetta (1.4T EA211) caught my eyes on:
500_ChcCSF5geXqAAvzfAAHLETHLME4815.jpg

How come this engine bay so similar but so different from mine?
微信图片_20200429200157.jpg

Of course, I know it’s much cleaner and full of carbon cases yes…. But what’s this part coming from?!
Capture.JPG

holy ***! EA888 air box in wrong engin bay? Wait… Something must be wrong with my eye… let me search the USA Jetta again…

Boom!
usa jetta.JPG

okey... let me triple check…
1588162563870.png

Capture.JPG

Seems worth a further look right?

Unfortunately, I have very limited access to ETKA, here is the next best thing I got:
I assume the most conclusive part of the entire retrofit idea will be: if the item 9/10/11 on the 2019 1.4T Jetta would fit my Chinese 1.4T turbo intake.
parts.JPG

I really wish someone with good soal (and just happens to have ETKA/erWin access LOL) could kindly help me check if this concept would work out or not… Searched for a while in china, no luck for any VW parts from the US…

Last but not least, stay healthy and stay gold!
1588164100275.png

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
The air filter will sit on the ball end points on the battery tray...might also need to change the thin hose that runs along the side of the black plastic turbo to throttle body pipe...

The limiting factor in the engine is the clutch..circa 280Nm max.....if you can find a stronger clutch then the manual MQ250 gearbox will go not much later...

IF you have a DSG DQ200/250 the clutch pack is rated for 280NM.....the gearbox itself for over 400NM......

people have done the GTI IS20 turbo swap, removed the built in intercooler & fitted a big FMC & custom software...

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Probably the best post I've ever seen on this forum. Bravo.

Sorry I don't have any information for you.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Also need a new PCV pipe..the top one coming out the camcover to vent the crankcase.....& some of the other pipes in the back area there might not move out of the way.....

The only thing would be to buy the rear turbo pipe & see if it fits!

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Just had a look at my 1.4lt in detail.

It is possible, but you will have to drain the coolant system to remove some of the exiting coolant pipes & replace with the pipes from the Jetta to move them out of the way of the Jetta air box etc.

Most obvious is the coolant pipe which runs across the top of the air take between the air box & the slam panel. On the Golf it runs underneath the air inlet pipe, on the Jetta it runs above the pipe like the 2lt Golf engines.

Then there are the coolant pipes around the turbo inlet which ned to be removed & new ones fitted etc.

The Jetta looks like it uses the whole 2lt engine air box & slam panel intake (the mounting points are in existence on your battery tray), & its only the pipe between the intake & turbo which is unique to the Jetta, along with the above mentioned coolant pipes.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Right to do this mod I found the ETKA for the 2019 Jetta 1.4lt here:-

https://parts.vw.com/a/Volkswagen_2...442/ENGINE--TRANSAXLE-AIR-INTAKE/9273338.html

https://www.ilcats.ru/vw/?function=...ubgroup=129&part=129020&pid=49159&language=en

Item 1, 5QM-129-607-C = Air filter housing
Item 5, 5QM-129-637-C Air filter housing plug/drain
Item 6, 5QM-129-684 = intake hose from air box to turbo connector
Item 8, 04E-129-654-R = intake hose on turbo
Item 9, 04E-103-560-L = PCV air hose
Item 14, 5QA-129-621 = slam panel duct back piece
Item 15, 5QM-129-618-C = duct from slam panel to air box

The part that concerns me the most is the back coupling onto the turbo itself..which you require...it appears that this engine has a secondary "air pump" as this part as two other air take off hoses on it...ours does not..

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/hose/04e129654r/

Plus there are coolant hoses to move out of the way!!

From an engineering point of view, it makes sense to move the air box to this new position..but for us to do this at what £££...

Mare

Car(s)
Seat Leon 5f 1.4
Hey guys,

Not saying I’m regretting buying MK7.5 1.4T R-line as my first car (but geeeez EA888 is so nice)View attachment 171610

But every time this angle just makes me speechless....
View attachment 171611
Anyway, trying to remedy the poor 110KW engine, considering starting with stage I ECU tune & easy intake mods.

Here comes the fun part:

When I browsing ECS for parts that should fit EA211, this 2019 north America Jetta (1.4T EA211) caught my eyes on:
View attachment 171612
How come this engine bay so similar but so different from mine?
View attachment 171613
Of course, I know it’s much cleaner and full of carbon cases yes…. But what’s this part coming from?!
View attachment 171614
holy ***! EA888 air box in wrong engin bay? Wait… Something must be wrong with my eye… let me search the USA Jetta again…

Boom!
View attachment 171615
okey... let me triple check…
View attachment 171616
View attachment 171617
Seems worth a further look right?

Unfortunately, I have very limited access to ETKA, here is the next best thing I got:
I assume the most conclusive part of the entire retrofit idea will be: if the item 9/10/11 on the 2019 1.4T Jetta would fit my Chinese 1.4T turbo intake.
View attachment 171618
I really wish someone with good soal (and just happens to have ETKA/erWin access LOL) could kindly help me check if this concept would work out or not… Searched for a while in china, no luck for any VW parts from the US…

Last but not least, stay healthy and stay gold!
View attachment 171619

Hey morningglory125,

first of all, great post! I love your meme-game. It's just epic. :D
I myself drive a Seat Leon 5f (MK3) with a 1.4 TSI 140PS engine. So same motor and same base as the Golf MK7 and I went through the exact same emotions as you did. I still enjoy my vehicle, but the EA888 is just a way better base for tuning.
While searching the internet for a new charge pipe/compressor hose, the one you've marked in the white dotted line, I've stumbled across this thread.

Right now I am just doing, what you are intending to do. Moving the airbox from above the motor to the side of it. I do not like the way it is installed in the 1.4 engine. The air gets heaten up, and there are a lot of 90° and smaller angles. Also the intake adapter from the red silicone hose to the turbo has some vents to create sound dampening but this is also causing air turbulances. The adapter from the Jetta (Item 8, 04E-129-654-R) has the same vents. This is why I am avoiding that intake adapter too. These factors are all pretty bad for the air flow.
So I bought the air filter box from the Golf MK7 GTI and will install it in the next few days. Right now I am waiting for the air filter to arrive. Next thing is to get the piping from the air filter box to the turbo. This is a little bit troubling, since all vendors are closed here in Germany and I have to order it online and hope it will fit - instead of walking to the next tuning shop and test fit everything.

As golfdave said, the placement of the other air filter box is easy, since the ball points are already in all engine bays prepared. Thank you, Volkswagen-MQB.
Below you can see my current engine bay. I marked the ball points in red circles.

IMG_20190510_163156.jpg

For me the most troublesome part till now was a way to figure out how to attach the future new silicone hoses to the turbo. I found after decades of searching the 1.2 and 1.4 turbo inlet adapter from RTMG. I do not know if it is allowed to post a link here, so I will not do this, but you can either google it or PM me. Nevertheless for a simple adapter I found it quite expensive and I designed one myself and test printed it with a 3D printer. Below you can see a litte side by side comparision between my CAD design and 3D print.

Vergleich CAD 3D Druck.png

When I was ready to look for a manufacturer I found a german tuning company, which is selling complete carbon air intake systems and they had an adapter too. So I asked them so sell me the adapter seperately and they did. This was HG-Motorsport. So I went the "easy" way in the end, even though I like my design more. But I am OK with it so far. Following the said adapter.

WhatsApp Image 2021-01-12 at 00.17.51.jpeg

For the future I am looking to replace the before mentioned charge pipe. Here I am also looking for the turbo and intercooler adapter. There are kits out there, which are imho way too overpriced.
I am trying to do this all for a reasonable price, since the EA211 is not the best base to start with the tuning. You end up, where other cars start. Furthermore this car is our daily usage car and I want it to still be reliable. This is why I am also planing to by a project car in the feature, which has a better base to start with.

So far from my side.

Stay healthy,

Mare

morningglory125

Right to do this mod I found the ETKA for the 2019 Jetta 1.4lt here:-

https://parts.vw.com/a/Volkswagen_2...442/ENGINE--TRANSAXLE-AIR-INTAKE/9273338.html

https://www.ilcats.ru/vw/?function=...ubgroup=129&part=129020&pid=49159&language=en

Item 1, 5QM-129-607-C = Air filter housing
Item 5, 5QM-129-637-C Air filter housing plug/drain
Item 6, 5QM-129-684 = intake hose from air box to turbo connector
Item 8, 04E-129-654-R = intake hose on turbo
Item 9, 04E-103-560-L = PCV air hose
Item 14, 5QA-129-621 = slam panel duct back piece
Item 15, 5QM-129-618-C = duct from slam panel to air box

The part that concerns me the most is the back coupling onto the turbo itself..which you require...it appears that this engine has a secondary "air pump" as this part as two other air take off hoses on it...ours does not..

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/hose/04e129654r/

Plus there are coolant hoses to move out of the way!!

From an engineering point of view, it makes sense to move the air box to this new position..but for us to do this at what £££...
i own you a BIGBIG thank you Dave!
how can i being so rude not feedback with anything not even a thank you...:eek: totally forgot this post
Its been a while! incredible how 2020 flys by to quickly...
Loads of stuff happend last year i will start a bulid up/memo thread, i crashed my golf on the track:cry: and bring it back to life:D, epidemic hits aviation industry pretty hard almost lost the job but i survivedo_O but CEO of my company still stuck in Ireland lock down...:ROFLMAO: But good things out there as well! i decided to start a family.... ;)

And seems more for me to catch up here as well!
Seems the intake airbox fit mod is not a dead end but more tend to an economical option. The bits and pieces Dave provided is more than detailed, really clearified my mind.
There is some advantage on the price of VW parts in china, as long its fabricated domestic.
Most of the parts can be found from my source, but the coolant pipes is hard to obtain i may have to consider route it myself, and maybe one vacum line towards the brake booster is also in the way.
Let me do more research on the part availabilitys to see if this worth a shot.
Chinese Spring Festival is coming, shold got more time for some wrenching! LOL

Sincerely hope the world we know comes back in 2021.
Stay safe and healthy Dave!

Justin
1611716219654.png

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
i own you a BIGBIG thank you Dave!
how can i being so rude not feedback with anything not even a thank you...:eek: totally forgot this post
Its been a while! incredible how 2020 flys by to quickly...

Justin

Thanks mate!...:cool:..& yeah the past year has gone by so fast!!

I've still got a few write ups to do...but I can confirm that my car runs fine with the heat shielding that I did to my air box & with the revo stage 1-B (98RON) remap!!...so that's 190+bhp & 312Nm...!!!

I have some more heat shielding to do, & I still keep looking at moving the whole air box over (as per 1.8lt/2lt engines & the newer 1.5lt)...BUT I've got loads of other jobs around the house to do!!....:oops:

EarlieBirdie

Car(s)
VW Golf MK7.5 1.4TSI
Hi, I’ve wanted to do the same thing for ages! I initially looked at using the CTS Turbo CAI that goes over the engine block, but the thermal soaking is of concern. I’d love to ideally use the NA style air box & intake manifold/inlet pipe… so has anyone done it yet? What does it look like? Any links you can share?

Guto

Car(s)
Golf Wagon MK7

Haydo

Car(s)
Golf MK7.5 R-Line
Hi,

I do really love the OEM look, well done!!!

Any chance you could share what was the process to convert it? I was just about to pull the trigger and get a new turbo inlet and intake pipe but I definitely would go this way.

Thanks!

Hello,

Just looking to bump this up in the event someone that has completed this mod can share more details on how they achieved it? From my understanding does seem to largely hinge on the application to the turbo inlet.

Thanks