GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Portable tire inflators

Dr.Ed

Passed Driver's Ed
My Euro spec MK7 already has one..Spare tire is an option:mad:

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Thank you to everyone for the input. Odd how much fun I have obsessing over small details like which $80 tire inflator to buy. I stuck with a local store and picked up SuperFlow HV40A2 from O'Reilly Auto Parts for $70.

Basically I wanted to have a local place to return it to if I didn't like it, or if the 12V outlet wasn't happy with the 15 amp draw. I also liked that this unit has a 12-foot cord and 16-foot air hose. Added several pounds to my Alltrack tires quick and easy last night.

Next up;
  • obsessing about which power washer to buy and switch from bucket washing to foaming next year.
  • Deciding whether to go with stock 225/40/18's, 240/40/17's, or perhaps 225/45/17's for 2020 autocrossing.
The good news is I have three months of Nebraska Winter to decide.

I got the lower end model of what you got at O'Reilly's as well...I think it was 40$ and it's the red one instead of the black. I had the same thought you did about returning locally. It has been about 7 years now of about 12 uses per year, and it's still faster and quieter than any of the ones my friends use. I especially like that it threads on rather than press on, so I can do other things when inflating larger amounts.

As far as tire goes, if you're competing in GS (and I assume you are) you've got the FoST to fight with, and they have an 8" wheel. The successful drivers in that group are throwing 265 RE71Rs on the car. You can probably squeeze on a 255/40/17 if you really try. You can step down to a +44-46 offset to help fit the tire on the inside clearance and still stay legal.

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
My Euro spec MK7 already has one..Spare tire is an option:mad:
The Golf R comes with this and a can of fix a flat instead of a spare. Many of us have purchased spares (and I've made use of mine, too).

It's usable but the cord management sucks, so I'm considering getting one that's easier to use.

It all comes out for autox tho :)

bfury5

Autocross Champion
Kobalt was one of the last ones i was considering, for me it must have both 12v and 120v outlet option.

Just to add for anyone else reading this - I also use the Kobalt 12v/120v inflator. I really like the fact that I can use it at the track and in the garage. Definitely get the warranty though (I think it's $10). My first one failed in about 3 months, and was replaced without question. Second one has worked flawlessly for almost 2 years!

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
I had a cheap little slime pump that never failed me. I used it for 2-3 years in my mk6 gti. It was slow as hell and the manual said not to use it for more than 10 minutes but with a flat enough tire it'd take more than 10 minutes. I was having problems with leaks and running over nails for a bit and every time I'd pull into a gas station their damn air pump would be broken. Got fed up with it and ordered a small inflator and the thing saved my ass so many times.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
a like for Chad's just cause home made....

I have a L Ion jump pack/compressor combo. Used it today to get friends ATV running. No idea on how long it'll last but size/weight is amazing

Mud

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
I have a Viair 70p that sits on the back shelf in the garage. Haven’t used it since I brought home my 450p. It was okay but overheats pretty quickly. My 450p will fill a set of 32’s from 10->40psi. Little overkill for the GTI, but I’ll never have to replace it.

glitronic

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 GTI AutobahnDSG
Someone else mentioned Ryobi. I saw someone with one of these a couple years ago at a race and have been LOVING mine ever since:
https://www.amazon.com/Ryobi-P737-Portable-Cordless-Inflator/dp/B017JIWT9U
It's so much better not having to deal with cigarette lighter sockets, cords, blowing fuses in the car if the pump draws too much power (like my Harbor Freight inflator did), and just the portability and ease of use for bikes, etc.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
I also have a ryobi 18v and I find that I use it by far the most, over my big air compressor or portable viair one.... no cords to mess with just makes it the go to for me. And if I'm going to the track I'm bringing my ryobi 18v light, impact and whatever else, so I'm already bringing a few batts so not a big deal. Mine is the bigger one that can also inflate low pressure stuff like mattresses, but the combo of battery power and auto shutoff at desired pressure makes it my go to.