GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Portable tire inflators

aroundomaha

Ready to race!
This may be a dumb question (disclaimer) but I'm shopping portable tire inflators and wondered what other autocrossers have had success with.

90% of the use is at home, but I would like a unit that can be used at 6-10 autocross races also. I was using my old Craftsman electric drill with an add on but it was slow and the inflator unit died.

Current shopping list
- Viair 88P ($65)
- Viair 90P ($75)
- Sunjoe AIRJ24C (~$100)
- Harbor Freight Bauer Cordless (~$100 with battery, charger + sales tax)

Two of these require hooking up to the battery, two can use batteries. I wasn't sure my GTI 12V outlet would run the 15 Amp units.

-Dave "Aroundomaha" in ... well... Omaha!

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
I have a Viair 85p that plugs into the cig lighter. Lots of power, best portable air comp I've ever owned. I also have the big ryobi 18v one since I have those batteries too. The Viair is definitely quieter and pumps up faster, but I find that I use the ryobi more around the garage just because the batteries are convenient.

I take the Viair to track events because its more compact and works faster

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
My Porter Cable has run flawlessly for over 10 years without fail

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
I actually faored pretty well with a 20 dollar one from autozone for a while. My worktruck had a tire that wouldnt hold air and used it for like a week straight at one point. Used to top off my car tires regularly. Finally died after like 2 years. Id say it was worth it

gti330ex

Go Kart Newbie
I've shopped for one of these and have yet to pull a trigger. I've been pumping my triceps and tires for almost a decade now using my bicycle pump. Lol

Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
I need one for track duty. I like the dewalt over Milwaukee but the Milwaukee is smaller. Probably pick up the Milwaukee with an impact this holiday season.

hooville

Go Kart Newbie
I have a Viair 87P: has a storage case & clips to battery terminals so no worries about blowing fuses (IIRC the fuse for MK7 aux power ports is 15amp, same that the Viair pulls). It's MUCH quieter and faster than any of the cheap portable compressors I've owned. It would certainly top off a set of tires trackside, but might be too small to fully inflate a set.

aroundomaha

Ready to race!
Thank you to everyone for the input. Odd how much fun I have obsessing over small details like which $80 tire inflator to buy. I stuck with a local store and picked up SuperFlow HV40A2 from O'Reilly Auto Parts for $70.

Basically I wanted to have a local place to return it to if I didn't like it, or if the 12V outlet wasn't happy with the 15 amp draw. I also liked that this unit has a 12-foot cord and 16-foot air hose. Added several pounds to my Alltrack tires quick and easy last night.

Next up;
  • obsessing about which power washer to buy and switch from bucket washing to foaming next year.
  • Deciding whether to go with stock 225/40/18's, 240/40/17's, or perhaps 225/45/17's for 2020 autocrossing.
The good news is I have three months of Nebraska Winter to decide.

Chad13762

Go Kart Champion
Looks like you already bought one, but here's my setup anyway.

A bunch of people want me to build them one, but I don't have the time. A HF compressor, stuffed in a ammo can, with a motorcycle battery. It's super handy to adjust pressures in grid, without fumbling with a cigarette lighter plug. There's a push button at the air chuck that makes a quick +2 psi really easy. It cost about $120 for parts, plus an hour or two to build.

bdelaney4000

Ready to race!

Mike-E

Go Kart Newbie
I have a ~$40 one from Wal Mart. But, for the track, I just fill my "handy tank" at the gas station on my way out. It holds far more air than I use at the track and I don't have to worry about batteries or cords.