GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Porsche to VW??

RudyH

Go Kart Champion
Eh not sure about that. I have close to 100k into my gti and still think a cayman handles better. Granted it's a mk6 but the suspension and handling characteristics aren't drastically different between the two generations.
Not saying it's a night and day better, but the R with suspension and chassis will give it a run for its money. I still think that if I can get the rear sorted out a bit, the front end is nearly perfect which I wasn't expecting but that mostly came with the Wavetrac and deactivating the sloppy XDS+ system. The Haldex system I think needs to be more active (tune). As for having a sports car feel for driving (lower seating position, etc) the R will never have that.

I'm pretty sure the chassis alone is different between the MK6 and MK7, and the MQB was said to being a major improvement over it's predecessor (beyond just being modular and making accountants happy) - so that already would be a start of differences.

I would love to try out a stiffer rear sway bar, endlinks, Wavetrac front in the new MK8 R /w its new rear sports diff. The white papers make it so interesting, including how it is almost proactive when compared to the Haldex system the MK7 has.

***edit just adding again to this. I would still consider getting a Cayman GTS (4.0 or really even the I4), and tune / have fun with it over the R. Being a daily driver, with minimal mileage being put on it. Again, my circumstance is winters - if I lived in warmer climates I would go Porsche pretty quick

Last edited:

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
Eh not sure about that. I have close to 100k into my gti and still think a cayman handles better. Granted it's a mk6 but the suspension and handling characteristics aren't drastically different between the two generations.

You spent $100k on your GTI?

OP - a Miata or any other sports car will always feel more fun than an R through corners and for general driving.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
You spent $100k on your GTI?

OP - a Miata or any other sports car will always feel more fun than an R through corners and for general driving.
Yeah just about. It's a very fun and well sorted track car. Shoulda started with a cayman though

Cytokine

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 LSG 6MT Golf R
2. Most importantly.... Do you guys feel like you're driving a "sports car"? By that I mean, do you feel like you are driving a hatchback that goes fast and handles well, or do you get the same enjoyment you do when you drive a dedicated sports car?
I like my R, but rarely get that sports car feeling, just doesn't do it for me.
Don't get me wrong, it handles and goes like a sports car, but is missing that low slung sporty feel. Seating position is too high, pedals are too close, console too low.

Only reason I have a constant low-grade need to trade it in for something sportier, A4, or 340i Performance etc., still need 4 doors with a manual.

virpacalis

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'17 R DSG
My two cents: I think the R is a great value for stealthy, utilitarian speed. However, in the twisties or over ordinary road imperfections, it feels a good bit more nose-heavy and crude than even an entry-level Porsche or BMW.

Got Boost

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Driven quite a few sports cars. Had a E46 M3, which handled so well it seemed boring. An SS Camaro that was brutally fast with so so handling. And a few others. Just made the switch from a MK6 GTI to a MK7 Golf R and could not be happier. Man in reason I bought the R is that even at stage 1, the GTI had significant traction problems which are not an issue with the R. However AWD hardware adds weight to a vehicle, and you can definitely feel it in the R. My GTI simply felt lighter and attacked corners better than the R. Is it a sports car? Yes. Does is feel like your driving one? Maybe. Depends on how you define “sports car”. My Stock R will run mid 12s at a moments notice and handle well enough to hold its own agains most cars. Bottom line. Almost anyone picking a fight with an R will end up loosing their lunch money, which is a sports car by almost any definition. The fact that I can put the suspension in comfort mode and take it on a date night with the wife is just icing on the cake.

ssaylor

Passed Driver's Ed
sorry about your knee & medical situation. I'm in the same boat with my knee (and now early Parkinson's) and have corralled a Boxster S, Cayman S 914/6 as well as a 4.2L Audi R8 MT6. I just did a APR Stage I low torque tune on my 17 DSG because I wanted to run regular old premium gasoline and not have to worry about finding high octane fuel - or doing a DSG tune. APR specs the HP AT 357 with 0-60 time at 3.869 sec. for the Hi Torque Stage I but I think the low torque runs very close to this. And, this is without doing anything else to the car like intake, exhaust, etc. These would add another 10-15% to your power and blow a Cayman out of the park.

Driving the Boxster, Cayman & R8 might be more rewarding as its a true mid-engined car but the AWD R equals the handling and excels in performance, IMO. You won't you won't miss your Cayman S unless you enjoy the status of owning a Porsche and having people ogling at your ride (buy an R8 - you have to beat the crowd off to even get in your car). When I sold the R8, I made a pact with myself to only buy something that's faster and provides more performance than the previous car. Clearly, since I've had the R for 5 years, it's been difficult to find something else that checks all the R's boxes without moving back into $$$$$ Supercar territory.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
These would add another 10-15% to your power and blow a Cayman out of the park.

Driving the Boxster, Cayman & R8 might be more rewarding as its a true mid-engined car but the AWD R equals the handling and excels in performance, IMO. You won't you won't miss your Cayman S unless you enjoy the status of owning a Porsche and having people ogling at your ride (buy an R8 - you have to beat the crowd off to even get in your car). When I sold the R8, I made a pact with myself to only buy something that's faster and provides more performance than the previous car. Clearly, since I've had the R for 5 years, it's been difficult to find something else that checks all the R's boxes without moving back into $$$$$ Supercar territory.
You've certainly owned some sweet cars! I'm honestly surprised that you'd equate the handling on a stock R with a double-wishboned mid-engine car.
How are you gauging handling? Confidence in turns? Modern traction control and tire tech have come a long way even since the Type 42 and 987.1 which would certainly help, but most guys like you I've talked to hate the numbness of the EPS on a newer Golf compared to, say, an old M3.

ssaylor

Passed Driver's Ed
I’ve never tracked any of my cars but have run them all on some world rebound roads. Living in Monterey, CA for over 30 years, I had immediate access to roads like Highway 1 down to Big Bur, Carmel Valley Road and Laureles Grade. The scariest and fastest car over the grade was my mid-engined 70 914/6. Only found the limits in rain. I actually had two of these (one with each wife). A literal go kart in automobile clothing. Also ran my E30 325is Mullholland & Stunt Road in So Cal a buddy of mine’s 318is for a Bimmer Mag article, The “is” Mystique.

I think there is a sense of numbness with powered steering. Driving the R8 was exciting moving through the gated shifter but boring otherwise. I had an E36 M3 steering rack in my 325is and liked it so much I put one on my E30 M3. There’s really is nothing like the old rack & pinion and all manufacturers try to dial down the power to make it “feel” like rack & pinion. Porsche does a pretty good job though. Sharing some of the OP’s physical limitations and reasons for change, I’m more accepting of PDK, DSG and assisted steering. I’m still alive and want my cars to feel the same!

clarence35

Passed Driver's Ed
I suspect the answer to this question is going to be pretty personal to how and where you enjoy your performance cars. Do you spend more time in the car commuting or driving for pleasure? An MK7 R and even the Cayman make at least a few compromises in both areas.

I have an MK7 GTI and S2000 (and used to have an '03 Boxster S until I sold it a few months back). The MK7 GTI is by far the best choice to me for commuting and it's still no slouch in the canyons, but I personally would not pick any MK7 (GTI or R) over an S2000 or Boxster for driving pleasure -- the tactile feedback/controls, chassis balance, engine sound, and ability to play with the car's rotation in a stock sports car can't usually be matched by any reasonable amount of money in modifications to any MK7 (or without sacrificing the things that make the MK7 a great commuter car). I think you calling it a "fast hatchback" is correct.

That said, it's perfectly valid to prefer the enjoyment of driving primarily for the sense of power, speed, or outright grip and secondarily for the things I listed. If that's you, the MK7 Golf R should be incredibly satisfying (even moreso when tuned) and quite possibly a better car for you than a Cayman.

Half fast

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I had a 987 Cayman, then went to an S3, now have a GTI.

I miss the Cayman all of the time, never really miss the S3, and have no regrets about trading "down" to get the GTI. I've since bolted all kinds of nonsense on the GTI and made it faster than the S3 was, but it's just always been far more fun to drive at safe street speeds than the S3 was. The S3 was fast, but it felt kind of numb to me. Also, on the track, the GTI handles better than the S3 did. (As an aside, the DSG overheated on the S3 during a midsummer track day which really ruined the car for me in a way.) It doesn't seem like it should be the case, since the two cars are so similar, but the GTI just seems to feel more connected. It's not the Cayman, but the GTI is more fun in that sense. Of course, if that's what you're after a Miata would be more similar to your Cayman than either VW. If you're looking for more speed, then the R will probably suit you just fine.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
The S3 was fast, but it felt kind of numb to me. Also, on the track, the GTI handles better than the S3 did.
Getting kinda OT but I got to drive a hybrid is38 + WMI DQ250 S3 back to back with my R and the S3 is very comfy, has a cool boost gauge on the dash, but is otherwise boring and slow in comparison.

ourlee

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 TT 17 GTI S
I daily drove a NC2 MIATA for 7 years. When it was time for something new, I shopped new R, new GTI and certified TT. I bought the TT because of the driving position. I know my car is not a sports car (more a GT) but I like the seating position. In 5 years or so I’ll look at the mk8 R. My guess is VW will give us our buttons back and at 62, the seating position will be more comfy for my oldness. Check a TTS, late models are sub $40k.

Half fast

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Getting kinda OT but I got to drive a hybrid is38 + WMI DQ250 S3 back to back with my R and the S3 is very comfy, has a cool boost gauge on the dash, but is otherwise boring and slow in comparison.
Agreed. Only time I really miss the S3 is driving on the turnpike from Cleveland to Chicago. The S3 ate up those miles better than the GTI. But, if that's the kind of driving you're going for, there are far comfier cars than the S3. It's weird, because the GTI to me is the best car when you can't have every car, but my feeling is that the S3 is cool, but never the "right" choice. No matter what you're looking for, there's a better option. Probably has something to do with it being a $50k car; opens up a lot of options.

My father has an R and I still actually prefer the GTI though. So, what do I know.
I daily drove a NC2 MIATA for 7 years. When it was time for something new, I shopped new R, new GTI and certified TT. I bought the TT because of the driving position. I know my car is not a sports car (more a GT) but I like the seating position. In 5 years or so I’ll look at the mk8 R. My guess is VW will give us our buttons back and at 62, the seating position will be more comfy for my oldness. Check a TTS, late models are sub $40k.
TTS is an underrated answer here, especially if you're coming from a Cayman. I worked at an Audi dealer and I still forget they exist.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
For sheer handling, an 8S TTS is probably the best MQB option. Bigger tire options, wider trackwidth, better seating pos. but without the extra weight of the 2.5TFSI from the RS.