GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Porsche to VW??

ourlee

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 TT 17 GTI S
I drive son 2s GTI almost everyday (he’s here til his office opens back up) and I love it. Often I consider getting a pre owned golf R cause I hate putting Simple Cub in the TT. But then I spend a little time in the TT and that all goes away. The TT still feels more special to me than the mk7 dubs.
Simple Cub:

Last edited:

ourlee

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 TT 17 GTI S
Simple cub is a Cane Corso mix?
We never checked the dna but we’re guessing pit/lab boxer. If your avatar is your pooch, bad ass.

Jargon

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
I can speak to this with some experience as someone who went from a Porsche to an R. I previously owned a 01 986 so much older (and slower) than your Cayman. I guess I'm a little confused by your priorities. 0-60 time? neither the Cayman or the R is a drag car and probably not the best choice of vehicle if your biggest concern is straight line speed. Does it feel like a sports car? I think the differences you will feel between a 15 year old porsche and a newish R will have more to do with the age of the vehicle and less to do with the car. I love the feel of the R and yes it feels like a sports car but its much less visceral than the Boxster. I attribute that more to modern technology than the differences between the cars themself.

also wtf you doing going 150 on the highway?

Rtarded

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 APR S2 DSG R
I read OP's original post and thought I read Cayenne, and I was like what the hell is this guy talking about? ignore me I'm just here for the likes.

Get an R my man, get a rear sway, I would highly recommend APR Stage 1 ECU & TCU, It's a little animal and it eats corners up. It's certainly not a Cayman much like few things are, but with a little work its an absolute beast.
To answer your 0-60 question, I'm APR S2, Downpipe, software, sway bar, and with the suspension in comfort mode and my summer tires I'm hitting 60 in 3.5s. At least that's what my buddies draggy says. it definitely feels like it. on the street the only thing pulling that hard off the line (in my experience) is a 100k+ Tesla and a 2012+ 911. These cars are absolutely hilarious bc you can cruise around in comfort mode and its an entirely sensible, comfortable, well equipped car with a well pointed interior, and then you can throw it in race and get real f*%$in silly, real f*%$in fast.

Or trade me for the Cayman so long as its not yellow. yknow, just sayin

RudyH

Go Kart Champion
For sheer handling, an 8S TTS is probably the best MQB option. Bigger tire options, wider trackwidth, better seating pos. but without the extra weight of the 2.5TFSI from the RS.
Ya this is true, I forgot about the other MQB option. I have gone back and forth with it in the mix with the Cayman - mostly because of the AWD and I feel like it would be more forgiving for the winter / daily driver / grocery getter. The TT S gets you all the R, plus more handling fun. Again maybe the MK8 R is going to change that.

I think too ones forget the 986 Boxster weren't very good 'track cars' at all. A lot of hype, because it was an affordable Porsche. The 987's were better, but realistically it's the 981 where I would consider a Golf R replacement.

Last edited:

Half fast

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I think too ones forget the 986 Boxster weren't very good 'track cars' at all. A lot of hype, because it was an affordable Porsche. The 987's were better, but realistically it's the 981 where I would consider a Golf R replacement.
This is the first time I've heard someone say that the 986 isn't a good track car.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Previous 930, 986 and 987 owner.

Only Porsches that temps me at this point are a 2012 Base Cayman, which I can afford, and any GT3, which I could afford if I didn't want to retire in the next 5 years.

The MPI base 9A1 engine is going to last forever. The GT3, we'll, it's a GT3.

The thing I like about the GTI is that it was cheap, cheap on consumables, and pretty quick with just a few tweaks.

A base Cayman with similar prep will destroy the GTI, but the GTI is cheap to maintain and I will still be able to retire, even if I wreck it on track, provided I don't die.

RudyH

Go Kart Champion
This is the first time I've heard someone say that the 986 isn't a good track car.
Throwback, as this always stuck out in my head when I think about the 986:
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/hyundai/tiburon/2003/2003-hyundai-tiburon-gt-v6-2/

Forget the race prep'd Hyundai, and sure the stock 170 hp Hyundai was behind the 250hp 986 S...but there is a whole list of more worthy cars out there ahead of that Tiburon in its class that would narrow that gap even more that are also FWD. That was before diffs were as common as they seem to be now, and had a lot more experience building a better all around car then Hyundai did back then. Can the 986 make it around a race track? Yes! Would it be the weapon of choice, well...was it terrible? No. Was it great? No. Was it good or more in the middle?

Brings up a point, if the OP wants power, and track fun...M2 Comp would likely check all the boxes, and still give you a decent daily drive over a Cayman. Hard to find one though right now at a decent price, but a regular M2 could still do the trick pretty easy.

Last edited:

Half fast

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Throwback, as this always stuck out in my head when I think about the 986:
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/hyundai/tiburon/2003/2003-hyundai-tiburon-gt-v6-2/

Forget the race prep'd Hyundai, and sure the stock 170 hp Hyundai was behind the 250hp 986 S...but there is a whole list of more worthy cars out there ahead of that Tiburon in its class that would narrow that gap even more that are also FWD. That was before diffs were as common as they seem to be now, and had a lot more experience building a better all around car then Hyundai did back then. Can the 986 make it around a race track? Yes! Would it be the weapon of choice, well...was it terrible? No. Was it great? No. Was it good or more in the middle?

I feel like we're getting pretty off topic, but the fact that you can modify a cheaper FWD car to take on a stock 986 doesn't strike me as a reason that the 986 wasn't a good track car. By that measure, all but the most heavily modified Miatas aren't good track cars because, for all their positive attributes, they're still pretty slow cars.

Side note: I had a Mk3 VR6—made around 170hp like the Hyundai—with quite a bit of suspension/brake work; modifying a late 90s early 00s GTI, Civic, Focus, etc. to keep up with a Boxster was not so simple, especially if you still wanted to drive the thing on the street regularly.

Side note 2: My current GTI is much faster than my (relatively stock) 987 was on the track. But, the 987 was an entirely different driving experience that, while slower, was still a ton of fun. What makes a car "good" is pretty subjective, but aside from straight line speed, I've heard very few complaints from people with Boxsters/Caymans at the track. If straight line speed is what you're after though, then it's just not the right car for you. I don't think I'd say that means it's not "good." To that point, the ZL1 Camaro, despite being a rocket, plenty capable on the track and definitely at least a "good" track car, doesn't appeal to me.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
The main issue with a 986 is that an engine replacement cost more than the car is worth.

Getting close to same issue with 987s.

I wouldn't buy anything with an M96/97 in it at this point. Why would you unless you like gambling or someone gives you the car.

Just buy a 2012+ with the 9A1.