GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Porsche boxster 4 piston brakes (NQSBBK) fitted on MK7 GTi.

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm seriously considering going this route on my Alltrack and just wondering how this has worked for everyone in the long term.

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
these are great brakes. If you want then, get them lol

I'm certainly leaning toward it. Just wanted to get some long term feedback.

Are the Boxster calipers much larger than the stock Alltrack calipers?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I'm certainly leaning toward it. Just wanted to get some long term feedback.

Are the Boxster calipers much larger than the stock Alltrack calipers?

Stock Alltrack is 312mm disc with a 57mm diameter single piston sliding fist caliper....basically standard GTI..

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
Stock Alltrack is 312mm disc with a 57mm diameter single piston sliding fist caliper....basically standard GTI..

Are the Boxster calipers themselves larger than the Alltrack calipers?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Are the Boxster calipers themselves larger than the Alltrack calipers?

overall not much..but because they are 4 pot they have more on the side facing the wheel face....so some alloys might need spacers...plenty of info in this thread...

7umberjackZac

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Gti
2+ years and they are great. Super easy to service. But I also put on residual pressure valves as mentioned elsewhere, 10psi. definitely needed them

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
2+ years and they are great. Super easy to service. But I also put on residual pressure valves as mentioned elsewhere, 10psi. definitely needed them

Can you please give me more info on the valves? I thought they were only if you had the Macan calipers..??..

Sc629

Go Kart Newbie
Don’t know if it’s been mentioned yet but source pads from FCP Euro and you can get replacements for free (just cost of return shipping the old ones) whenever or as frequently as you want

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
Don’t know if it’s been mentioned yet but source pads from FCP Euro and you can get replacements for free (just cost of return shipping the old ones) whenever or as frequently as you want

Not a bad idea. Buy two sets up front so you have replacements handy and send back the worn out one's..

Now to find a used set of calipers at a decent price..

7umberjackZac

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Gti

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
TLDR: I noticed my rear brakes were not being used (unusual increase in front-biased braking) after installing these brakes (possibly due to piston size difference?) and i corrected it through OBDeleven.

to anybody else that has done this, I had noticed something interesting on my base golf. The rear rotor always had a strange, worn-looking pattern on it. I had come to realize recently it was because my rear brake was not engaging as much as it should (thus the 986 brakes doing most of the work). I was able to correct this with Obdeleven/vcds coding. Under brake adaptions is "hydraulic brake boost" which was set to an offset of 8 stock. I had first tried setting it to 7 and had already noticed more balanced braking. my rear rotor also started to look more normal (the normal silver instead of a rusty and coated look). I tried 6 and this time with some hard stops on an empty road (to test safety under hard braking). 6 seems to favor the rear just slightly but overall i think its where im currently satisfied and the rear rotor looks exactly as i would expect it should.

To add a disclaimer, I can't 100% guarantee that what i noticed is true and adding too much rear bias could pose a lot of safety issues ( too much rear bias is much more difficult to recover from under hard braking and stock cars usually have some front bias).
Which OBD11 adaption changes bias?