GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Porsche boxster 4 piston brakes (NQSBBK) fitted on MK7 GTi.

Sc629

Go Kart Newbie
Anyone have good pictures on how well the pad in the Boxster caliper fits on the 312mm rotor? Like how much of the rotor is unswept by the pad?

Attachments

• 0CD0222A-C4FF-490B-8631-E3D5C4340A40.jpeg
    0CD0222A-C4FF-490B-8631-E3D5C4340A40.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2,837

cagansevinc

Ready to race!
This thread was very helpful but I have a few questions that I didn't see them be asked. I am looking to get Cayenne Touareg Audi Q7 Front Brake Caliper Pair Set Brembo 18ZL 18ZR Model: 5g2313

In order to run these for front calipers, what else would I need? Please list all the things I'd need.

PS I have mk7 gti with no PP.

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
This thread was very helpful but I have a few questions that I didn't see them be asked. I am looking to get Cayenne Touareg Audi Q7 Front Brake Caliper Pair Set Brembo 18ZL 18ZR Model: 5g2313

In order to run these for front calipers, what else would I need? Please list all the things I'd need.

PS I have mk7 gti with no PP.

The calipers that you're looking at are called the 18z calipers. To use them on a GTI, you would need to either mill your aluminum knuckes down at the mounting point for the caliper or get the cast iron knuckes from a base Golf and get the 50mm struts to go with them. You would also need to get larger rotors and the appropriate caliper bolts, pads, brake lines etc. Not worth it at all. For the 312x25 rotors on a non-PP GTI, the cheapest option is to get the set of 986 Boxster calipers that this thread is about.

I've got a set of the 986 calipers that are powdercoated for sale if you're interested and I'm not far from the Pitt area.

cagansevinc

Ready to race!
The calipers that you're looking at are called the 18z calipers. To use them on a GTI, you would need to either mill your aluminum knuckes down at the mounting point for the caliper or get the cast iron knuckes from a base Golf and get the 50mm struts to go with them. You would also need to get larger rotors and the appropriate caliper bolts, pads, brake lines etc. Not worth it at all. For the 312x25 rotors on a non-PP GTI, the cheapest option is to get the set of 986 Boxster calipers that this thread is about.

I've got a set of the 986 calipers that are powdercoated for sale if you're interested and I'm not far from the Pitt area.
Thank you very much for the info that was helpful now I know what I am looking for and what to do. Also check your pm :)

Sc629

Go Kart Newbie
TLDR: I noticed my rear brakes were not being used (unusual increase in front-biased braking) after installing these brakes (possibly due to piston size difference?) and i corrected it through OBDeleven.

to anybody else that has done this, I had noticed something interesting on my base golf. The rear rotor always had a strange, worn-looking pattern on it. I had come to realize recently it was because my rear brake was not engaging as much as it should (thus the 986 brakes doing most of the work). I was able to correct this with Obdeleven/vcds coding. Under brake adaptions is "hydraulic brake boost" which was set to an offset of 8 stock. I had first tried setting it to 7 and had already noticed more balanced braking. my rear rotor also started to look more normal (the normal silver instead of a rusty and coated look). I tried 6 and this time with some hard stops on an empty road (to test safety under hard braking). 6 seems to favor the rear just slightly but overall i think its where im currently satisfied and the rear rotor looks exactly as i would expect it should.

To add a disclaimer, I can't 100% guarantee that what i noticed is true and adding too much rear bias could pose a lot of safety issues ( too much rear bias is much more difficult to recover from under hard braking and stock cars usually have some front bias).

bfury5

Autocross Champion
Wanted to follow-up with my completed setup. Used calipers were stripped, recoated, rebuilt with new seals, and installed with new pads, rotors, and stainless lines.

IMG_20200801_183847.jpg

bfury5

Autocross Champion
TLDR: I noticed my rear brakes were not being used (unusual increase in front-biased braking) after installing these brakes (possibly due to piston size difference?) and i corrected it through OBDeleven.
I also noticed this, but I'm planning to mitigate it with more aggressive rear pads instead of ODB11. I have pretty aggressive front pads and still OEM with the rear. My car doesn't weight transfer as much on coils, so I think I can get away with more rear pad

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Well, just bought the parts for this setup from a forum member here at a good price. Really hoping it will fit under my Neuspeed RSE05s without a spacer. Was initially interested on going Macan calipers on 340mm rotors (which are confirmed to fit under my wheels) but then got interested in further reducing unsprung weight. It's not like my Golf TDI is fast, haha. Anybody running these under RSE05's (or other BBK friendly smaller wheels, Motegi MR131's or similar)? My concern is that with smaller 312mm rotors it might bring the caliper in close enough to the hub that the spokes won't quite clear, which isn't a problem with the 340's being pushed out towards the barrel.

Currently running 17z with 330mm rotors. Big, heavy, unnecessary... but they sure do look good completely filling a 17" wheel. Anyway, they required 10mm spacers (or 8, can't recall) to clear and the added caster from new LCA's (plus being lowered) means occasional rubbing. Car will be raised back up somewhere between Golf and GTI factory height so I don't expect any rub if I can bring the wheels back into the fender.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
I run a 10mm spacer with these on my OEM rotary wheels (18x7.5 ET51) and they fit without a spacer on my Motegi MR146 (17x8.5 ET42).

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I didn't mount these to be 100% sure but a close look with all parts in hand suggests my wheels won't clear without spacers. I'm running added caster which makes rubbing an issue for me with spacers so I now have this kit (which I just bought) for sale, haha...
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/brembo-nqsbbk.379229/

Also, did you guys re-use your stock caliper bolts to mount the Apikol brackets? The bolts I received were too short but I'm thinking they are the bolts for Mk6 and Mk7 Standard Golf steel knuckles which have thinner mounting tabs.

Last edited:

Sc629

Go Kart Newbie
I didn't mount these to be 100% sure but a close look with all parts in hand suggests my wheels won't clear without spacers. I'm running added caster which makes rubbing an issue for me with spacers so I now have this kit (which I just bought) for sale, haha...
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/brembo-nqsbbk.379229/

Also, did you guys re-use your stock caliper bolts to mount the Apikol brackets? The bolts I received were too short but I'm thinking they are the bolts for Mk6 and Mk7 Standard Golf steel knuckles which have thinner mounting tabs.
Late reply, but yes I reused stock bolts

Sc629

Go Kart Newbie
In the same boat and would like to know if anyone can confirm if it fits with 18x8.5 et43 Hypergrams without soacers, or if with spacers, what size? Thanks!
99% sure it will. Fit with 18x7.5 et51 with 10mm spacers and with room to spare