GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Polk Audio DB6502 Component Install with Crossover - Front Door and Tweeter

elterrible

Passed Driver's Ed

:ROFLMAO:

Which model Kappas? That seems really strange, but I guess at some frequency the resistance/response is just so low it doesn't matter. I guess they just wanted to make them look more high end.

I have the Kappa 60.11cs

For the GTI that has stock tweeters and woofers, then the dual outputs isnt necessary but it would be helpful if you were installing in a car with stock coaxials.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I have the Kappa 60.11cs

For the GTI that has stock tweeters and woofers, then the dual outputs isnt necessary but it would be helpful if you were installing in a car with stock coaxials.
Same setup as mine then. Well that's too bad I went through all of that for nothing. It was a learning experience at least haha. I'm not sure how you got your tweeters mounted but I ended up using the +3 dB bump only on the driver side to improve imaging. I think the tweeter was a little off-center or shrouded when I glued it down so I wasn't getting as much from that side.

After putting the car back together with all the sound deadening, either the sub has less power going to it because of the speakers or all the deadening tightened up the whole space. Definitely a different beast now.

pointerDixie214

Car(s)
2019 GTI; 1971 MGB
Same setup as mine then. Well that's too bad I went through all of that for nothing. It was a learning experience at least haha. I'm not sure how you got your tweeters mounted but I ended up using the +3 dB bump only on the driver side to improve imaging. I think the tweeter was a little off-center or shrouded when I glued it down so I wasn't getting as much from that side.

After putting the car back together with all the sound deadening, either the sub has less power going to it because of the speakers or all the deadening tightened up the whole space. Definitely a different beast now.
Interesting - I ended up going back into the door to adjust my tweeters to +3 dB as well.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Stupid question guys. I've drilled out the rivets, made sure my JL C1's fit with a 1/2" spacer through the full range of the windows travel, but the screws I orders are way too small diameter wise. What did you guys use? I'm thinking rivet nuts, but the hole is 7/32 and I can only find 1/4. I'd rather just hit the hardware store and grab some screws, but those holes are big. Maybe just drill new holes?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I used the little c clamps with screw holes that slide over the stock holes supplied with the speakers. C1-650 fit well with 1/2 in spacers. Sound amazing too. Time for a spare tire sub. I'm thinking Cerwin Vegas' 12 inch amplified setup.

Attachments

• 20200516_154602.jpg
    20200516_154602.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 113

NKK

Car(s)
2018 Golf GTI S
I mounted the front crossovers in the top shelf of the glove box and in the driver's side coin compartment (or whatever it is). Wired the woofers to factory wire for now, as I did not want to mess with all the struggle with running wire to the doors. Doing the A pillar tweeter wiring was hard enough! Putting in an amp next weekend, and when I have the head unit pulled, I'm going to splice into factory front woofer wire and run it to the crossovers. Even without that, it is a HUGE upgrade in sound.

By comparison, the rear is easy, since the tweeter and woofer are both in the door.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I used the db6502 2 cars ago with a nice kenwood nav hu. They were fine, just not blown away. I decided on JL C1 650's with my current car and they sound amazing, even driven by the base hu.

The last time I was this happy with a set of speaker, replaced my Corrado's speakers with Alpine speakers driven by an Alpine hu.

I didn't dislike the db6502's, I just think there are better speakers in the same class.