GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Polish/Wax Starter Kit Recommendation Needed

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
I'm on Autopia-carcare and I'm an idiot.

I have a Porter Cable and need a polishing pad (stage 1 only) and wax application pad, but have NO idea which is the best pad (what the crap do the colors mean?) to get.

Also......any good polishing and wax recommendations different than Griots polish and Collonite 845?

I posted this separately because I'm not as detailed as riceburner or others.....this needs to be basic fo sho

TIA

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
I've been using my old 7424 Porter Cable off and on for almost 20 yrs now. Used a bunch of different product along the way but here's what I'm going with on my Golf R for my first ever go with ceramic coatings.
I have used both orange Lake Country orange CCS pads and Rupes yellow pads for one step correction in the past. I think either of those would be perfectly fine for what you are looking for.
This year after Decon w/ Carpro Iron-x & Claybar I'll be using Sonax Perfect Finish with a Rupes yellow pad.
Last year I used Jescar Micro Finishing Polish with the yellow Rupes pad before applying Sonax PNS.
For waxs or sealants I always have applied by hand using small pads like this one from Detailers Domain... https://www.detailersdomain.com/col...ators/products/uber-yellow-wax-applicator-pad

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
I've been using my old 7424 Porter Cable off and on for almost 20 yrs now. Used a bunch of different product along the way but here's what I'm going with on my Golf R for my first ever go with ceramic coatings.
I have used both orange Lake Country orange CCS pads and Rupes yellow pads for one step correction in the past. I think either of those would be perfectly fine for what you are looking for.
This year after Decon w/ Carpro Iron-x & Claybar I'll be using Sonax Perfect Finish with a Rupes yellow pad.
Last year I used Jescar Micro Finishing Polish with the yellow Rupes pad before applying Sonax PNS.
For waxs or sealants I always have applied by hand using small pads like this one from Detailers Domain... https://www.detailersdomain.com/col...ators/products/uber-yellow-wax-applicator-pad
Yeah that really helps actually…. Much appreciated. I’ll look those pads up specifically

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I'm on Autopia-carcare and I'm an idiot.

I have a Porter Cable and need a polishing pad (stage 1 only) and wax application pad, but have NO idea which is the best pad (what the crap do the colors mean?) to get.
Black is a finishing pad, orange is a medium cutting pad and white is a light-medium cutting pad. I did my whole car with orange and then finished it off with black and a differnt finishing polish (carpro essence).
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01J588UNG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Also......any good polishing and wax recommendations different than Griots polish and Collonite 845?
CarPro... love their stuff. I also like 845, but if I were doing all of the work to correct the paint, I'd DIY a ceramic coating rather than a synthetic wax. You could always put 845 on top of the ceramic once it cures if you really wanted to.

Trollin86

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Alltrack SE DSG
Here is my take as a hobbyist detailer:

For extreme cutting and all but wet sanding I go for Griots knitted wool pads. For moderate cutting I like Lake Country CCS pads, specifically their orange pad. For finishing, I have great results with Rupes Yellow & White Pads.
I personally have had great success with Griots Garage Fast Correcting Cream and their Perfecting Cream for a 2-step process, especially on recent VW & Audi paints.

Just my own .02c, but if I was going through the process of doing a full 2-step machine correction I'd finish it with a ceramic coating instead of a wax. I personally have coated 5 cars now with Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light & EXOv4. I'm likely going to re-coat my Alltrack, which has had CSL & EXO on the paint now for three years with Gyeon MOHS & SKIN (SYNCHRO)

I've used Collinite 845 in the past - it's great stuff. I really want to try out Koch Chemie new wax as well as Gyeon's Wax at some point.