GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

PO302 Cylinder 2 Misfire

jojid

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7GTI
I was doing my 50K maintenance and figured the red coil pack from ECS would be better.

don’t get me wrong car is more responsive
I don’t think there is gain in HP but response in 2nd and 3rd gear is noticeable.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I was doing my 50K maintenance and figured the red coil pack from ECS would be better.

don’t get me wrong car is more responsive
I don’t think there is gain in HP but response in 2nd and 3rd gear is noticeable.
[/QUOTE

If you changed spark plugs at the same time that explains it otherwise it's just the placebo effect.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Butt dyno at its best.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
Ever track this down?

mbmb

Passed Driver's Ed
Do this:
Pull #1-3 coils.
Pull #1-2 plugs.
Photograph #1-2 plugs and post the pics here (we may be able to read them and see the problem).
Put #2 plug back in #1 hole.
Put #1 plug back in #2 hole.
Put #1 coil back on #1 cylinder.
Put #3 coil on #2 cylinder.
Put #2 plug on #3 cylinder.

Drive.

If you get P0301, the plug (which you moved from 2 to 1) is bad.
If you get P0303, the coil (which you moved from 2 to 3) is bad.
If you get P0302, something else is wrong.
If you get no code, you've fixed, by disconnecting and reconnecting, the loose electrical connection that was the problem all along.

jojid

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7GTI
Do this:
Pull #1-3 coils.
Pull #1-2 plugs.
Photograph #1-2 plugs and post the pics here (we may be able to read them and see the problem).
Put #2 plug back in #1 hole.
Put #1 plug back in #2 hole.
Put #1 coil back on #1 cylinder.
Put #3 coil on #2 cylinder.
Put #2 plug on #3 cylinder.

Drive.

If you get P0301, the plug (which you moved from 2 to 1) is bad.
If you get P0303, the coil (which you moved from 2 to 3) is bad.
If you get P0302, something else is wrong.
If you get no code, you've fixed, by disconnecting and reconnecting, the loose electrical connection that was the problem all along.
Wow!!!! Thanks. I will do as you said this Saturday....

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
I tried that with my code and I was still reading misfires on obdeleven, but not enough to throw codes. How many miles on the car?

staying_tuned

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 Mark 7 Golf R
I don't see any mention of you clearing them post install or during your troubleshooting. Per the UI on your scanner those are stored codes. You cleared them post install right?

jojid

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7GTI
So you're getting soft codes, or logging misfires?
1604003260045.png

1604003243916.png

I don't feel any misfires. car runs great

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Have you cleared your DTCs?

I use Vagcom/VCDS, so not sure how to do it with your ODBII reader. Though the misfire codes are stored and will remain even after the issue is resolved. Normally I'd clear DTCs, test drive, rescan and see what you get.

jojid

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7GTI
I borrowed the reader from O'Riely's auto store.
the next day after the first reading, I reinstalled the original coil and spark plug.
Drove it and went back to O'Riely's and got back the same message

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
I borrowed the reader from O'Riely's auto store.
the next day after the first reading, I reinstalled the original coil and spark plug.
Drove it and went back to O'Riely's and got back the same message
Don't know if auto stores are allowed to clear codes anymore, I recall there being some legal issues over that.

I'm in Long beach and would be happy to scan/clear/rescan with Vagcom for you if you'd like. I've got unlimited VINs and would be happy to help.

If they didn't clear the DTCs with the reader, if swapping to original coil/plug fixed your issue, you'd still see the DTC for the misfire. My first autoscan on my GSW I had a 5 second freak out where I kicked myself for not scanning the car before I got it due to all the stored Codes that are not throwing CELs - Though upon closer inspection, these were stored and recorded 20k some miles earlier. Once I cleared them, I haven't seen them since.