GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Plugged RS4 , 265 RS4, or RE71R for track day

tripleS

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
15 GTI PP \ 16 GT4
I'd consider putting the repaired tire in the rear if you're going to run with it. Less abuse and load on the rear tires on these cars I figure. Definitely both patch and plug for the best repair.

FWIW I tracked several days with a plugged 300tw sumitimo in the rear, then at least several days with a plugged RS4, and 8 days on pretty new but freshly plugged MPSC2 on the front of the GT4 (couldn't be rotated). Know of some folks who have done a weekend of sprint races with a plugged tire. All that to say you probably don't want it on your mind if it's going to bother you or if you don't feel good about it, overall it's your car and comfort level. Good luck!

Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
I’d just use the RE71R for piece of mind, last thing I want is worrying about equipment while on track.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Just swapped on the RS4's. Taking the other set with me.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Well, car did great with just plugged tire. Didn't have time to patch.

145 on the back straight with no issues, no vibration.

Gotta say the RS4s hold up great.

The RE71R get greasy after a couple of Autocross runs, but RS4 stay grippy with no deterioration in what I would think is a much more brutal and demanding role. Never tried them in the other role to see the difference. May have to do AutoX with the RS4. Don't think I'd want to do track day with the RE71R although a lot of people running the RT660 today which is comparable as far a wear

Obligatory photos

Do ya'lls track days have cars like this.
20211219_174603.jpg

And this Datsun.. 😍. Inboard shocks you can see in the back window

20211219_174647.jpg

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Cool looking Datsun!

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Dammit. Sorry. Those are literally the only 2 pics I took today. There's usually photographers there that take pics of all the cars. Not sure if they're public, but I'll post

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Got the pics back. You can look there for the Datsun. Think it's red group

https://photomotiononline.com/groupSessionSelection.php?mode=start&eventID=39

You can see how soft my suspension is here. Under damped too as torn 1, get some hop.
img20211222_115336.jpg

Halfway through my 2nd event, my instructor approved me to go Solo, which was cool as normally they do that after 6 events

Had the most fun last session running against an Alfa 4C. He stuck with me for a good lap, but then dropped off.

img20211222_115209.jpg

img20211222_121607.jpg

Attachments

• 2021-12-18_EA_COTA_RP_11802.jpg
    10.6 MB · Views: 47
  • 2021-12-18_EA_COTA_RP_11884.jpg
    7.7 MB · Views: 34
  • 2021-12-18_EA_COTA_RP_10638.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 39
Last edited:

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
During my last couple years of track days I would buy a 5th wheel/tire for the set that I was running.

This way, if I had to drive to Sebring for example, I’d just throw in the 5th wheel/tire in the trunk and have peace of mind in terms of getting a puncture.

During the track day, I’d rotate the tire in to keep the wear even with the other four.

This limited my tire selection in terms of tread/direction (the tread pattern had to work either way)… But sure was easier than lugging around a complete set for swapping on at the track.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
During my last couple years of track days I would buy a 5th wheel/tire for the set that I was running.

This way, if I had to drive to Sebring for example, I’d just throw in the 5th wheel/tire in the trunk and have peace of mind in terms of getting a puncture.

During the track day, I’d rotate the tire in to keep the wear even with the other four.

This limited my tire selection in terms of tread/direction (the tread pattern had to work either way)… But sure was easier than lugging around a complete set for swapping on at the track.
Not a bad or cheap idea.

Won't directional tires work either way, just not well in the wet