GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Plex!!!

nkresho

suck, squish, bang, blow
Car(s)
2022 Q3
Hey all, just a heads up if you use plex media server (like on a HTPC).

I've been on a plex pass for about a year, since I dropped cable and went Roku. Cable was like 150 a month and now we're paying $20 for sling, plus $60 for internet. I use plex to stream my mkv collection to all devices on the network, and friends, and family. I can grab wifi anywhere and stream my library to it. It's what I've needed since my first HTPC back in the early 2000s. The rokus grab the video and audio from the plex server. Server does all the video and audio decompression, so there's no lag or latency. Low cost rokus can play 1080p video with 6 channel audio to my TVs with no problem and little heat. HTPCs used to need a dedicated card for that, back in the day.

Back to the car talk...

I went to change Pandora on my android auto and I saw it...

Plex was an option for streaming audio in my GTI :eek:

This is really good news for me. No more Pandora commercials, and exactly the playlists I want. Pandora has a very limited library if you like a particular artist or genre. It's decent on the fly, but after a few hours you get repeats.

So I played with it (on my home server) for about an hour worth of driving today. Works like a charm. While driving, you can use the mic icon, in plex, and say the artist name, or, if you create playlists in plex you can play them directly (pick the playlist you want and it plays). I made a handful of playlists today and they all work flawlessly. It did lag a second leaving the house, as it hopped from my wifi to 4g on my phone.

This is a game changer if you have a mp3 collection at home. I got most of mine through OG napster and the like. Stream it directly to your car. After this finding, I think I downloaded a few gigs today making my libraries up-to-date.

For all the google-lazy: https://www.plex.tv

Last edited:

treybyday

Passed Driver's Ed
Welp, time to upgrade to MIB2. Thanks for the heads up!

nkresho

suck, squish, bang, blow
Car(s)
2022 Q3
I went to grab a shot of it running and realized my phone was streaming it. :eek: Nope.

The UI looks very similar to Pandora, album art in the background and controls. There is a 3 dot icon at the far right, when playing. It lets you random sort the playlist if you want.

I am so excited about this new finding. You have no idea. I was thinking about it a few months ago, and how cool it'd be if it worked this way, but had no idea it was in the works and would be out so soon.

Not sure what level of plex you need to stream to yourself, pretty sure plex pass access (what I have) is for streaming to other people, so the free may do it for you in your car. But, I might be mistaken, it might be for streaming remotely (to your phone).

YMMV

VDUB725

Ready to race!
Plex Pass Subscriber here. I have a massive FLAC collection and was excited to see Plex supported by Android Auto but unfortunately the metadata (album art) doesn't always work when you sync the music from your server to your phone. Until that is fixed, I'm just using a 128 GB Sandisk Ultra 3.0 USB with nothing but FLAC on it.

nkresho

suck, squish, bang, blow
Car(s)
2022 Q3
Plex Pass Subscriber here. I have a massive FLAC collection and was excited to see Plex supported by Android Auto but unfortunately the metadata (album art) doesn't always work when you sync the music from your server to your phone. Until that is fixed, I'm just using a 128 GB Sandisk Ultra 3.0 USB with nothing but FLAC on it.
I never really paid a lot of attention to the aa. Sorry i didn't mention it. My only gripe is that it doesn't remember the last playlist when you close and reopen. Always have to pick it from the list.

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

beardedGTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport 6mt
Seems like a rather complex setup to use in the days of streaming services (Spotify, google music, etc..). And this is from someone who has been a plex pass subscriber for years.

treybyday

Passed Driver's Ed
Seems like a rather complex setup to use in the days of streaming services (Spotify, google music, etc..). And this is from someone who has been a plex pass subscriber for years.
I don't consider Plex to be complex. The most challenging part is probably setting up port forwarding. It's worth it to me to be able to completely control my music library, stream for free, and share with friends.

italynstylion

Ready to race!
Plex is pretty brainless. Even the port forwarding is automated unless you have some manual stuff done on your existing router (but if that's the case, you're educated on the matter).

I am a Plex Pass user too. I have two Plex servers at the house. Syncing content to your phone certainly fixes the data usage issue.

Be that as it may, I still use Spotify for my in-car music needs. It's easier for me to manage a single playlist on Spotify so when I add a song to a playlist it hits every device that has Spotify. Less content management for me.
Yes, it's true that Spotify is not lossless quality but it's pretty much 320kbps which is typically more than enough while the car is in motion. Hoping Spotify adds a lossless feature in the future!

VDUB725

Ready to race!

It's for people who listen to lossless audio and dislike the lossy streaming audio quality (usually 192kbs to 320kbs). 320 is only if you pay extra on some services which is laughable. It's CD quality or bust for me, especially if you have a good sound system in your car.

VDUB725

Ready to race!
I wouldn't hold your breath for Google Play, Amazon Music, Tidal, Spotify, Pandora etc. to add lossless audio streaming. Not for a very very long time if ever. You can do it with Plex for free...