GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Plastic oil pan took a hit

vt_GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 GTI Autobahn PP
I just busted my oil pan this past weekend - literally watched a huge fart can fall off of a clapped-out A5 as it pulled in front of me on the highway and I couldn't avoid running it over. To pull over safely, I needed to drive maybe 3-5 minutes to a gas station parking lot (got off the first hwy exit but that was onto another highway, unknowingly...). As I was parking, my revs were bouncing all over the place and I could hear some faint noises that sounded a bit like a rattling heat shield... not a good sound. I'd guess that perhaps 2-3 more quarts of oil dropped into the parking lot once I parked.

I actually have started an insurance claim and have been consulting with two shops - my local VW dealer, and my local indie shop which I love. VW wants to put a new oil pan on and "listen" for damage - indie wants to inspect main bearings, cam journals, etc. Obviously I like the indie shop's approach but due to some logistically challenges with the towing company, the car has been at the VW dealer so far. No work has begun.

If this was your car, what would you want inspected and repaired to feel confident in it again?

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Besides replacing the oil pan, check the sensor the mounts into the pan itself, along with the wire harness that connects to it for any damage. The engine-side mounting surface for the oil-pan-checked for any damage. I would also want checked axle-boots, radiator area, intercooler charge pipes and couples. Basically anything low on the car that could have come in contact with the debris from the A5.

vt_GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 GTI Autobahn PP
Besides replacing the oil pan, check the sensor the mounts into the pan itself, along with the wire harness that connects to it for any damage. The engine-side mounting surface for the oil-pan-checked for any damage. I would also want checked axle-boots, radiator area, intercooler charge pipes and couples. Basically anything low on the car that could have come in contact with the debris from the A5.
You don't seem concerned with the internals being affected by oil starvation... do you think that is a realistic fear or am I overthinking?

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
20004F08-ECB0-45BC-BD70-C254BC0D9856.jpeg

790904B9-49C0-41E1-A13A-D7B59B6D854C.jpeg
836589D3-C1D5-46E2-9C50-97D10194007F.jpeg

ECS reinforced skid plate installed!
No clash with the Aerofabb splitter. Reinforcing brackets and bar sturdy and aluminum plate a nice thickness. Only thing missing is an oil drain plug access hole like the one I have on my Mini made by Rennline.
For this ECS plate, oil change requires removing the plate for draining or suctioning from the top.

backcountry

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI
The OEM metal skid plate is similar to the ECS one but it extends futher towards the rear of the car. Also have to use an oil extractor to change the oil if you don't want to remove it.