GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Planning on 245/40 17 Hankook RS4. Better options???

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Planning on 245/40 17 Hankook RS4. Better options for tracking???

My goal is ease of fitment, low cost, good wear. 245/40 17 is one of the cheaper sizes in the 200tw world. They'll be on a 17 x 7.5 because that's the size wheel I have and I don't want to buy new ones because my wife will not be amused.

I have another set of 18 x 7.5, but I'd run 225/40 18 and they're more expensive than the 245/40 17.

Am I missing something? Would I be better on a 300tw or the RS4? If so, which one?

jmason

Go Kart Newbie

kch

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
19 R DSG; 15 BRZ s.b
Planning on 245/40 17 Hankook RS4. Better options for tracking???

My goal is ease of fitment, low cost, good wear. 245/40 17 is one of the cheaper sizes in the 200tw world. They'll be on a 17 x 7.5 because that's the size wheel I have and I don't want to buy new ones because my wife will not be amused.

I have another set of 18 x 7.5, but I'd run 225/40 18 and they're more expensive than the 245/40 17.

Am I missing something? Would I be better on a 300tw or the RS4? If so, which one?

Like already said, 245 is too wide for a 7.5. I would suggest 225/45/17 on that wheel.

As for tires, the RS4 is a good 200tw tire that wears well. But I prefer the Dunlop Z3, which is similar in terms of performance, but feels more responsive and gives better audio feedback when approaching the limit.

You can also look into Firestone Indy 500s, which have more grip than their treadwear rating would indicate. They're a good budget option, but are more similar to a PSS than a true 200tw tire.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
245/40 17 is optimal on a 7.5 when you also want to use it for autocross
though. :D

I was considering the Indy 500, but have been hearing it gets greasy when tracked. I live in Florida, so it's always hotter than the sun here. Does the Z3 wear as well as the RS4? I'm not worried about track lap times, more consistency and wear characteristics. If I was going to autocross next year regularly, I'd just do RE71R's, but I'm not sure that they fit my needs for tracking. RS4 seems like it's near RE71R pace but wear much better, but the comments have me curious about the Z3 now.

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Assuming proper alignment and pressure, yep

Cool, I'll have to look at prices. I'll like zero the front toe out, it currently has 1/16 in toe out. How are they will limited neg camber?

kch

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
19 R DSG; 15 BRZ s.b
Cool, I'll have to look at prices. I'll like zero the front toe out, it currently has 1/16 in toe out. How are they will limited neg camber?

Not sure on this platform. I ran them on my BRZ with -3.4f/-2.0r, with 0 toe front and a tiny bit of toe-in on the rear. But I understand this platform requires less front camber, so ymmv

aroundomaha

Ready to race!
245 is too wide for 7.5 if you are interested in optimum performance. Read this article:
https://motoiq.com/how-to-properly-select-and-size-tires-for-performance/

Thank you for sharing the article, I found it pretty enlightening. I had no idea that the tread width varied so much and am going back to the drawing board for my 2020 autocross tire planning.

Some of the 225/40/18 tires have nearly the tread width of the 245/40/17's i was originally considering. Fortunately (or unfortunately) Spring is a long way off so I have time to obsess and shop.