GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Pistons?

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
I guess you can call it that. Not uncommon by any means.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
They just rebrand parts and pretend to be experts. It's all a marketing facade.

neogeo

Go Kart Newbie
They just rebrand parts and pretend to be experts. It's all a marketing facade.
I just picked up a set of Tuscan rods. Who’s the actual OEM of those?

I contacted pag parts about their products but I think they were a little too busy to get back to me.
I know a few people running IEs stuff and their cars have been running well for years, so i figured why not.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
I just picked up a set of Tuscan rods. Who’s the actual OEM of those?

I contacted pag parts about their products but I think they were a little too busy to get back to me.
I know a few people running IEs stuff and their cars have been running well for years, so i figured why not.

No clue, my engine has IE stuff in it because it was available at the time. No issues, but I know I overpaid for the name and availability.

neogeo

Go Kart Newbie
No clue, my engine has IE stuff in it because it was available at the time. No issues, but I know I overpaid for the name and availability.

I guess that’s business, and I’m not bitter about it. I don’t have an issue with someone commanding a premium for carrying inventory; after all, they had to outlay capital to hold it. There is an opportunity cost to holding inventory.

If I’m willing to pay a premium for availability then IE are welcome to make it. If Pag parts, for example, was cheaper but they didn’t have the inventory when I needed it, the cost savings does me no good.

Square1

Go Kart Champion
I ordered the CP-Carrillo pistons because they're made in the USA even though I'm a Canadian lol. We'll see how they turn out.
So guys I really dropped the ball here. I accidentally ordered the IE rods and the CP parts. So now in my infinite wisdom I am going to have the Tuscan I beam rods and je pistons because I ordered the 22mm wrist pins. Oh well. My buddy now has the CP-Carrillo stuff and it's pretty.

Square1

Go Kart Champion
Okay guys my next and hopefully my last dilemma.

I picked up a set of pistons that are 83mm (needs to be bored 0.5mm) to replace the ones in my 34,000 mile GTI. I figured a fresh start and this is where it gets tricky. I was worried about my car being in pieces for so I looked for another engine to build and I found one; a 3,500 mile GOLF R engine and it's stupid clean. So on to the dilemma .... do I buy 82.5mm pistons and sell the 83mm set or just bore it? This was supposed to be easy.

I know what Jersey Drew is saying lol

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition

I picked up a set of pistons that are 83mm (needs to be bored 0.5mm) to replace the ones in my 34,000 mile GTI. I figured a fresh start and this is where it gets tricky. I was worried about my car being in pieces for so I looked for another engine to build and I found one; a 3,500 mile GOLF R engine and it's stupid clean. So on to the dilemma .... do I buy 82.5mm pistons and sell the 83mm set or just bore it? This was supposed to be easy.

Screen Shot 2021-02-16 at 11.22.35 PM.png

Just one data point here, but pretty respected builder list (AP Tuning(Tom D), A2B (Billy A) ,and Pagparts(Arnold) on this thread on Facebook Big turbo page all stating 83mm is what they go with on builds.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
View attachment 203520

Just one data point here, but pretty respected builder list (AP Tuning(Tom D), A2B (Billy A) ,and Pagparts(Arnold) on this thread on Facebook Big turbo page all stating 83mm is what they go with on builds.

They do that for consistency, not because it's better.

I'd much rather have 82.5mm, but if I were building engines for a business I'd only do 83mm.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT

Lol... Yep, and my opinion still stands the same.

Square1

Go Kart Champion
And with a lead time of over a month for 82.5 pistons my 3500 mile golf R engine got dropped of at the machine shop today. Seems like kind of a waste but I made a torque plate to go with it. I really want to drive this thing in the spring.

Next time I'll listen .....