GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Picking up a beater/daily driver.

mesaboogie18

Ready to race!
I kept my MKIV mainly to drive in the winter. After driving it in snow for 3 years, it got pretty beat up. I don't want my new car getting dinged, sideswiped, etc...so it's going to stay parked when it snows, and the MKIV is going to be my DD. Plus it's paid off, so why not? :D

Baldilocks73

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
I'm a pretty big advocate of daily driving your mk7. Just food for thought:

It's going to depreciate nearly the same at 5k miles a year as 30k.

It's not rare. So if it's totaled they'll just replace it.

Gets the same or better mileage than your beater options.

You'd spend $2500-5000 on the beater, plus maintenance and insurance...far more than even 60,000 mile per year depreciation on the R would add up to

Won't be as fun as the R

Won't have any of the comforts or safety features

The list goes on and on. I could see if the R were an M2, a 1969 Hemi cuda, or a Ducati...but it's just a mk7. While it's the best of the mk7, it's still a daily driver in its purest forum. A practical, refined, hatchback

Insurance won't replace the nearly 15 grand in mods I have done to the R. ;) And, with the deer around here, I just don't want to chance it in the wee hours of the morning or late at night.

SpeedieGTI

Go Kart Champion
Always good to have a beater but an old VW is not what I'd go with... A beater should be something Japanese with very minimal maint. requirement and bulletproof reliability. Who wants to worry about a beater? A cheap used euro car is never cheap. Also...to each their own but if I'm spending $15k on mods I'm probably just going to buy a $55k car. Mods are fun but damn that is a ton of money. That is late model pre-owned Porsche money.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Found this during my weekly craigslist browsing if anyone still looking. (No affiliation whatsoever)
Only 200k miles, but looks good.

https://killeen.craigslist.org/ctd/5878143271.html

Baldilocks73

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
Actually, I am STILL searching. Tomorrow I am going to look at a Mk5 Rabbit. Judging by the high def pics, the thing has pretty much perfect interior -- my only pet peeve with used VWs.

Baldilocks73

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
Well, just picked up the 2006 2.5 as my daily driver. Probably won't do TOO many mods to it because the R gets most of the attention. ;)

100K miles. New timing chain and CV joints before I bought it. And since I didn't have a riding partner, they are going to deliver it Tuesday.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

Baldilocks73

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Golf R

mesaboogie18

Ready to race!
Well, just picked up the 2006 2.5 as my daily driver. Probably won't do TOO many mods to it because the R gets most of the attention. ;)

100K miles. New timing chain and CV joints before I bought it. And since I didn't have a riding partner, they are going to deliver it Tuesday.

Congrats! Good choice on the reflex silver. :cool:

Baldilocks73

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Golf R

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner

Nice, congrats! Stick or auto?

Not trying to be too nosy, but how much was it?

Baldilocks73

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Golf R