GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Phone storage?

Schocker65

Does anyone have any recommendations for a setup that allows for a cell phone to be connected to the USB and have the entire phone/cable enclosed in the cubby with the door closed?

Jovian

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI
I can do that with my iPhone7 but it eventually overheats if its a hot day and on GPS duty. I wouldnt recomend closing the door on a phone.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
I regularly do this with my iPhone XR using the genuine VW cable (short one with a right angle plug on one end) and it doesn’t get hot, it is reasonably tight but the door does close ok, my iPhone 7 use to get hot while charging wherever it was plugged in!

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
No problem getting an iPhone 11 Pro in there, but it's a PITA to get it situated.. anything bigger and I'd think would be a problem.

Amazon has various shorty right-angle cables, one of those might help unless your phone is totally unable to fit.

Schocker65

I've experienced the difficulty in opening the cubby when it was closed tightly on the cord/phone. I think with the right angle plug I will have enough space to avoid the jammed door phenomenon. I've had phone mounts like the Proclip and they worked great, but with Carplay I don't feel the need to have access to the phone screen and would like to have the phone hidden.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
wish there was a d dock that could sit further in , even if had to cut the back of the cubby out to make it fit. Love the ddock, just wish could close the door....

I feel you. I got over the fact that I cannot close it pretty fast, though. The only thing the D-Dock does not help with is crazy road bumps: the phone jumps up and disconnects, so I have to reconnect it. There are lots of such bumps in Southern California.

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Hello,

wish there was a d dock that could sit further in , even if had to cut the back of the cubby out to make it fit. Love the ddock, just wish could close the door....

I considered cutting the back, too. However, the back of the cubby has a nub of sorts that inserts into a support behind the console:

Cutting away the back of the cubby will probably result in it never fitting quite right since the rear would no longer be supported. Plus, as you can see, you'd have to cut away that support bracket, too, since it's immediately behind the cubby and would be an additional obstruction to sliding the D-Dock deeper into the cubby.

The only thing the D-Dock does not help with is crazy road bumps: the phone jumps up and disconnects, so I have to reconnect it. There are lots of such bumps in Southern California.

If you'll be in the car long enough to make it worthwhile, a small piece of foam stuffed on top of the phone will wedge it in place and keep it from bouncing. My area has bumpy roads, too.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
If you'll be in the car long enough to make it worthwhile, a small piece of foam stuffed on top of the phone will wedge it in place and keep it from bouncing. My area has bumpy roads, too.

I've given it thought. Sometimes when I put my wallet on top, it helps the phone stay in place. But I don't want to put something on top of the phone that I would have to keep removing every time I connect/pull the phone.

The Butcher

Autocross Champion
90 Degree USB C Cable, SUNGUY【3Pack, 1ft x3】Right Angle 3A Type C to 45 Degree USB A Braided Cord Quick Charge & Data Sync for Samsung Galaxy A20 A30, Moto G7 Plus G6 Plus, OnePlus 6T 5T (Black) https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07MPZZNN3/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_GTpCEbVDZT9D7

I use this, granted I have a GLI with an actual functional spot for my phone. But I've had GTI loaners from the dealership and my Note 9 fits just fine in a GTI with the console closed.

It's only 9 inches (ladies, you know the procedures) so the length and the right angle on the plugs work a treat.