GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Petrol flap issue

Yooni7

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf R MK7
Mk7 2014 Golf R owner.

So whenever I go to the petrol station I get out of the car, usually press the unlock button on the driver door, but when I go to the fuel flap and press it, it doesn't open.

I go back to the drivers door, press the unlock button again and try the fuel flap again and this still doesn't work. The only way for my to actually unlock it is by pressing the key fob and then it springs open.

Is there a fault or am I just doing something wrong?

Thanks

Yooni7

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf R MK7
Surely someone else has had this issue.
Iv identified it to the following.
The key fob works fine and unlocks all doors and fuel flap.

When I use the keyless system and don't press the fob, it doesn't unlock the fuel cap.

Jacobmk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI S 4dr DSG
My actuator went bad but it didn’t work with the door buttons or the fob. Weird how yours only works with the fob?

LukeS99

Car(s)
Golf Mk7 Estate GTD
Just read this thread - had this problem about a year ago, after about a week of trying loads of permutations of unlocking, pressing the flap in, using the fob etc ... nothing seamed to fix it - had to resort to the solenoid/lock/catch being replaced by my mechanic. All fixed !

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
There was a TSB for the petrol flap...its the bit where the actuator locks the flap gets stuck...some filing of plastic is required....

Yooni7

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf R MK7
Just read this thread - had this problem about a year ago, after about a week of trying loads of permutations of unlocking, pressing the flap in, using the fob etc ... nothing seamed to fix it - had to resort to the solenoid/lock/catch being replaced by my mechanic. All fixed !

Do you mind me asking the cost for the part and the cost for labour?

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
I had this problem not long before I sold the car, VW carried out a TSB which involved shaving off a small amount of plastic on the inner part of the flap, to all intents and purposes it was as if the actuator had failed, but it was the the fuel flap issue, i too could eventually open it if I kept trying the fob button which of course made me think it was a faulty actuator, fixed under warranty.

ACTIMMS

Hi,
I had my Fuel Flap Actuator fail in 2019 & ordered a new ‘Fuel Cap Actuator Locking Opener’, 5C6.810.773.H, the part No has been changed at the end to an H.

I asked the parts man, if the actuator was ‘coded’ & he advised that it was NOT, it takes a bit of time to get to its Plug & socket in the boot, so I managed to do a modification.

There was just enough cable to put the socket, back through the cable Grommet hole, so that the socket is now outside the boot, so that you can plug the actuator in, from behind the fuel flap.
I took off the old grommet & then cut it halfway to the centre, so that it will go over the new cable, on the actuator assembly.
It was easier doing this, than trying to cut the new grommet off the new cable.

This gives you access to the plug & socket in under 3 minutes for any maintenance or testing.

I took my time, because I did not want to brake any of the clips in the boot, it took me well over 3 hours, but now with this modification, I can change the actuator at the side of the road in under 5 minutes, as you only have to undo one screw.

I did not use the two special tools required, instead I used 6 inch & 12 inch rulers, so that I could find where the clips were & then lifted the clips vertically, with a small nail remover.

Hope this helps you all,

Allen UK

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Hi,
I had my Fuel Flap Actuator fail in 2019 & ordered a new ‘Fuel Cap Actuator Locking Opener’, 5C6.810.773.H, the part No has been changed at the end to an H.

I asked the parts man, if the actuator was ‘coded’ & he advised that it was NOT, it takes a bit of time to get to its Plug & socket in the boot, so I managed to do a modification.

There was just enough cable to put the socket, back through the cable Grommet hole, so that the socket is now outside the boot, so that you can plug the actuator in, from behind the fuel flap.
I took off the old grommet & then cut it halfway to the centre, so that it will go over the new cable, on the actuator assembly.
It was easier doing this, than trying to cut the new grommet off the new cable.

This gives you access to the plug & socket in under 3 minutes for any maintenance or testing.

I took my time, because I did not want to brake any of the clips in the boot, it took me well over 3 hours, but now with this modification, I can change the actuator at the side of the road in under 5 minutes, as you only have to undo one screw.

I did not use the two special tools required, instead I used 6 inch & 12 inch rulers, so that I could find where the clips were & then lifted the clips vertically, with a small nail remover.

Hope this helps you all,

Allen UK
Welcome to the forum.