GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Performance Package?

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
P.S. What are people paying these days to buy a proper LSD and have it installed into non-PP models? (DSG). Looks like the unit is ~$1000-1300. What's install typically run?
I'd guess like 1k. I'm getting mine installed just because my trans is already coming out.

TheJokker

Go Kart Newbie
It is going to perform similar to a mechanical differential and is an OEM solution so if there are any issues it can be resolved under warranty. A professional racing team would almost certainly choose an aftermarket solution but for your average driver the PP differential is very, very nice...

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Sorry to burst your bubble but you don't have a "LSD" with the performance pack......you get a Haldex unit bolted to the passenger side (NAR) driveshaft after the gearbox...

The term LSD refers to a limited slip differential...which is something the PP doesn't have as it still has a basic "open" differential in the gearbox case...

I did a write up here....

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/how-the-vw-golf-gti-performance-pack-pp-“front-differential-lock”-vaq-works.351185/

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
OEM, is cool at stock power… but with bigger turbo and hybrid power it quickly becomes notably ineffective and actually feeling the programming in the E. diff getting confused on how to behave with the extra power it’s fed and trying to control.

That’s based on first hand experience, in lieu of just typing words to justify not spending the money and time on getting a real mech diff.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Sorry to burst your bubble but you don't have a "LSD" with the performance pack......you get a Haldex unit bolted to the passenger side (NAR) driveshaft after the gearbox...

The term LSD refers to a limited slip differential...which is something the PP doesn't have as it still has a basic "open" differential in the gearbox case...

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/how-the-vw-golf-gti-performance-pack-pp-“front-differential-lock”-vaq-works.351185/
Its advertised as an LSD

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I don’t think you’re bursting anyone’s bubble by calling it something else. The practical effect is very similar.

“The amount of pressure on the clutch pack affects the transfer of torque from the spinning inner wheel to the driven outer wheel. Thus, torque acting on the spinning inner wheel is reduced & applied to the driven outer wheel, thus reducing or eliminating understeer & providing better cornering & control.”

The mechanical term "LSD" has been around for decades & refers only (in mechanics) to a Limited Slip Differential...this item fits inside the gearbox case, & is purely mechanical..

The VAQ unit is outside the gearbox case on the passenger side driveshaft & is electrical..pull the fuse & it won't work.....The VAQ units job is to cause the existing "open" type diff in the gearbox case to lock up by locking the driveshafts....& it relies on the ABS systems & uses the brakes to get around the "preload" situation & requires additional special oils at service time........go read the how it works guide that I wrote...

An LSD is 100% mechanical, fits inside the gearbox case as it replaces the basic "open" type diff.....& doesn't rely on the ABS or the brakes & has no electrics....also it runs only on the gearbox oil...do additional "special oils" come service time

Its advertised as an LSD

Thats the thick sh1t marketing dept....

.....The people that make the unit, & the VAG engineers don't call it a LSD as the terminology is incorrect..again see my pervious post or my how it works guide...

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG

No bubble has been burst. I know its not an actual LSD but the end result when driving feels just as good to me, so as I said it was well worth it. Whatever magic they are doing down there is doing its job.

mississippi_mk7.5

Car(s)
2019 VW GTI

Sounds like somebody didn’t get the PP

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
The mechanical term "LSD" has been around for decades & refers only (in mechanics) to a Limited Slip Differential...this item fits inside the gearbox case, & is purely mechanical..

The VAQ unit is outside the gearbox case on the passenger side driveshaft & is electrical..pull the fuse & it won't work.....The VAQ units job is to cause the existing "open" type diff in the gearbox case to lock up by locking the driveshafts....& it relies on the ABS systems & uses the brakes to get around the "preload" situation & requires additional special oils at service time........go read the how it works guide that I wrote...

An LSD is 100% mechanical, fits inside the gearbox case as it replaces the basic "open" type diff.....& doesn't rely on the ABS or the brakes & has no electrics....also it runs only on the gearbox oil...do additional "special oils" come service time
I read what you wrote. I even quoted your write-up in my reply....

I'm not saying VAQ and LSD aren't different. I'm just saying you're not bursting anyone's bubble because the net effect is very similar.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Sounds like somebody didn’t get the PP
Wouldn't want it anyway...

Pay more for heavier single piston sliding fist brakes & an expensive to repair electro/hydraulic clutch pack to lock the driveshafts, & which the dealers can't remember to service properly...no thanks...

I'd prefer a base GTI, fit a Wavetrack & the lightweight 4pot Audi TT-S brakes...car will be lighter & have slightly better power to weight & slightly better handling (& thats before you discuss the advantage of the proper LSD) than the PP, as you will have removed more unsprung weight by fitting the Audi aluminium calipers.