GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Performance mufflers for the MK7

SashaMarkovic

Car(s)
Golf MK7.5 TSI RLine
Hi.

I own a leased 2019 Golf TSI R-Line and would like to swap out the stock rear muffler which is ultra-quiet, to something with a more moderate exterior sound while keeping the interior sound mild. Any tips for brands/mufflers? Note that I´m only interested in swapping out the rear muffler while keeping every thing else stock.

Thanks!

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
Cut it off and run a y-pipe with tips. Aka, muffler delete. That way you can put the oem one back when your lease is over.

SashaMarkovic

Car(s)
Golf MK7.5 TSI RLine
Cut it off and run a y-pipe with tips. Aka, muffler delete. That way you can put the oem one back when your lease is over.

That sounds like a very good idea. My only problem is that I have the diffusor with fake exhaust tips, which means the muffler is hidden underneath and behind the whole bumper. (I'll attach some photos).

This makes me question if I can even do a Y-pipe and still hide everything behind the bumper?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 177
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 208

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
Just cut the muffler off. Don't need to run piping if you can't see it I suppose.

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
That sounds like a very good idea. My only problem is that I have the diffusor with fake exhaust tips, which means the muffler is hidden underneath and behind the whole bumper. (I'll attach some photos).

This makes me question if I can even do a Y-pipe and still hide everything behind the bumper?

Don't need a Y-pipe, unless you get a GTI valence. delete the muffler and point the tip down like stock.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
@impulsive.ca's suggestion, if you have the outlet of the un-muffled exhaust still under the car, it will be much louder inside the car than exit out the back. I don't recommend that for a daily.

danbfree

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf 1.8 TSI
Bump this thread back to life, I have a '17 1.8 and would like to replace just the muffler for a bit more sound but also don't want to convert to dual exhaust and there is little to no talk on what simple muffler replacements you can do on these... The problem is the stock muffler has that side entrance and while there is room for a 14" muffler and I don't want to run no muffler at all but also don't want bad angle pipe bends to just put something there... I wonder if anyone has maybe has the giant stock muffler swapped out for maybe a small res or something? That would of course need a bit of custom piping done, I just wonder what the cleanest possible setup would be to fit something in there without bad bends from the end of the long straight section to out the back. So maybe a set of 2 small 2.5" exhaust bend sections and a small res that can fit between?

Last edited:

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
Have a muffler shop replace the stock unit with a Borla or Magnaflow and then make it exit through the fake tip in the bumper.

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
If you were responding to the OP, that was from months ago, but I'm trying to figure out specifics for a non-fake single out the left back side of a MK7 1.8 if you had any specific suggestions?
Pretty much what I said before. Route the pipe through the "decorative" (fake) tip. Lots of stainless tip options on Ebay and Amazon. It's likely that your muffler guy already has what you need.