GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Performance Brake Pads with the least dust?

Sportwagen SEL

Ready to race!
Not sure if maybe it's just my particular 2017 GTI's OEM pads that are like this, but I'm getting a ton of dust up front that builds up insanely quickly — I'm talking like cleaning my wheels at the carwash, driving 15 minutes home, and finding them all brown again. I'm looking for some pads like the:

Akebono EURO Ultra-Premium Ceramic Brake Pad Set
http://akebonobrakes.com/euro

that supposedly have little to no dust but also still bite just as well if not better than the OEM pads. Is anyone familiar with these, as well as know which models fit PP brakes? Are there any other options I could consider that are also fairly sticky? (really like the "grabbiness" of EBC red stuff but they are too dusty)

tripleS

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
15 GTI PP \ 16 GT4
Those Akebono ones could definitely fit the bill. It indeed sound like you're looking for some type of ceramic pads as you're concerned about dust.

Also maybe take a look at the Centric Posi Quiet Ceramic pads -- TireRack has them. If anything they're not expensive at all so, if they don't fit the bill, it's not very much $$ down the drain.

Norsk982

Ready to race!
I am in the same shoes as you are. My wheels get dirty after 3 days of driving, and very BLACK/BROWN! I will be needing new pads once it goes out.

Not sure which pads I want to get for the GTI. It has APR STG 1 HO,it has lot of commute miles and mostly backroad fun drivings!

Sportwagen SEL

Ready to race!
Those Akebono ones could definitely fit the bill. It indeed sound like you're looking for some type of ceramic pads as you're concerned about dust.

Also maybe take a look at the Centric Posi Quiet Ceramic pads -- TireRack has them. If anything they're not expensive at all so, if they don't fit the bill, it's not very much $$ down the drain.

I just spoke with a friend who used them and apparently while they indeed produce very little dust, they are also less sticky as a result...not sure if that's what I'm going for.

Geomets

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf mk7 GTI

This is how one of my front wheels were after 1500Km of a recent road trip. Keep in mind that this picture was taken with the sun in front of me.

This is how the same wheel got after cleaning my car. Notice that this picture was taken with the sun behind me.

The roads I drove were ~50% highway and the rest in hilly twisty roads and really twisty mountain roads. I must say I'm pretty impressed, not only about the little dust and no noise at all, but mainly of the performance and controllability of these pads.
Endless MX72. Highly recommended, the best I've ever used (and I've used from plain OEM ATE to Ferodo Racing and Carbone Lorraine in different vehicles). I would (and will) NEVER put dangerously cheapo ...stuffs in my car though.

Last edited:

ExcelerateRep1

Go Kart Champion
I just spoke with a friend who used them and apparently while they indeed produce very little dust, they are also less sticky as a result...not sure if that's what I'm going for.

That is what you're going to get from any ceramic pad. With brake pads, you will not ever get your cake and eat it too. You want to retain performance you will get more dust and possibly noise.

We use the posi quiets in big brake kits driven on the street because they don't dust as much,and are much quieter. We use the posi quiets and Akebono's in a lot of applications, ill use a platform like the B8 S4 as an exacmple because the OE textar pads are metallic and sqeak and dust A LOT. Similar pad that comes on the GTI/R. We use the ceramic pads because the customer typically wants less dust. You will always experience less bite with the ceramic pad, its nature of the beast.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Stopping Power
Low Dust
Quiet

Rank the above in whatever order matters to you, then pick some pads based off of the top 2. If you pick the same order as me above, be prepared to listen to nails on a chalkboard ALL DRIVE LONG.

IMO, the stock pads are pretty solidly balanced in all three for a road car. Depending on how you clean your wheels you can avoid some of the dust. There are some products specifically designed to reduce dust adherence to the wheel, but I haven't tried those. I use some chemical guys m-sealer on all parts of the wheel (except where the tire makes contact), then once a month when washing the car, I use a well soaked microfiber towel to wipe everything off that I can reach easily. Then just wipe it down with more m-sealer and it's good for another month.

Track days = gunmetal wheels and pads that don't care about dust

Banned
Got the Akebono's for my 337 and the decrease in dust was great, can't speak for the stopping power as I was too low to go fast back then :)

rmchung1

I have the pads from Tirerack and they work well for daily driving; don't necessarily notice them being less sticky than stock. If you're into spirited, then maybe try EBC's? Since I rarely do any spirited driving and pretty much a daily commuter, the Posi Quiet pads are a godsend especially for the low price. I've gone a month without washing the car and the rims still look decent...unlike the stock pads.

Sportwagen SEL

Ready to race!
That is what you're going to get from any ceramic pad. With brake pads, you will not ever get your cake and eat it too. You want to retain performance you will get more dust and possibly noise.

Stopping Power
Low Dust
Quiet

Rank the above in whatever order matters to you, then pick some pads based off of the top 2. If you pick the same order as me above, be prepared to listen to nails on a chalkboard ALL DRIVE LONG.

Shoot that's what I was afraid of. Guess I'll just have to deal with dusty wheels...

Sportwagen SEL

Ready to race!
I have the pads from Tirerack and they work well for daily driving; don't necessarily notice them being less sticky than stock. If you're into spirited, then maybe try EBC's? Since I rarely do any spirited driving and pretty much a daily commuter, the Posi Quiet pads are a godsend especially for the low price. I've gone a month without washing the car and the rims still look decent...unlike the stock pads.

Yes actually I tried EBC Redstuff on my GSW and loved them, the issue was even more brake dust than stock!