GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

People recommended to put premium gas only for 2017 vw golf 1.8T BUT WHY?

Mk7GolfDisease

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf 1.8T TSI
Hey guys so I was recently told that I should only put premium gas grade for my 2017 1.8t golf?

I am at 82500 km something mileage and STOCK no tune up nothing added to my car.

I personally do not have any issues thus far as I been told it clogs engine or loses power or loses horsepower or something by not using premium grade gas?

On my fuel tank door it literally says put REGULAR UNLEADED only.

Also, people told me it could add more speed/extra horsepower? I personally do not believe any of that to be honest.

As I know from previous knowledge you only put premium grade gas if you have a luxury car, sport car or bigger engine like 2.0 or higher mark.

I never heard anyone putting premium grade gas in engine size like mine even if its turbo.

So if anyone knows more about further info on any of this let me know.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
The engine size is irrelevant. Premium grade gas is a higher quality fuel and is better for the engine. You get what you pay for.

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
So does it have anything to do with giving me extra horsepower so i been told from other people if choosing premium grade?
Premium grades burn more cleanly, leave less deposits, and are more resistant to knock.

More power can be made on premium grades, as it's safer to do so. Whether your engine will make more power is another matter. The factory ECU tuning can take advantage of the additional octane to a small extent. Modified ECU's are tuned for a specific grade of fuel and need that grade or higher.

Does your ECU have an aftermarket tune?

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
They are more than likely telling you to use premium based on older information regarding turbos and/or knock. They may also be recommending it because they believe it'll help with deposits, but that tends to be more brand/additive based than octane.

You'll see less potential knock, and with that engine timing changes with higher octane when pushing the engine to the limits. This tends to be more relevant in high performance vehicles or if your car is tuned. If stock, use whatever the minimum recommended octane is - which in this case is 87 in the US on the 1.8T.

Using a quality fuel (Any Top Tier gas company is recommended in the owners manual I believe) will help keep the engine clean, but since we have direct injection you'll always need a carbon cleaning for the valves at some point; regardless of fuel or additives you attempt to use.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
The engine size is irrelevant. Premium grade gas is a higher quality fuel and is better for the engine. You get what you pay for.

That's bullshit. Octane rating doesn't have anything to do with the quality of fuel.

OP, I was running regular 87 in my 1.8T till I got a JB4, at which point I got premium. If I remember, sometimes I'll switch the JB4 to map 0 and run 87 on long trips to save money as well. There's no need to run anything higher than what the manufacturer recommends.

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
That's bullshit. Octane rating doesn't have anything to do with the quality of fuel.

OP, I was running regular 87 in my 1.8T till I got a JB4, at which point I got premium. If I remember, sometimes I'll switch the JB4 to map 0 and run 87 on long trips to save money as well. There's no need to run anything higher than what the manufacturer recommends.
If you read carefully, you'll notice that I never said anything about octane rating being tied to quality. Octane and quality are independent. Premium is a higher grade with additional additives. It's measurably better than regular grade.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
If you read carefully, you'll notice that I never said anything about octane rating being tied to quality. Octane and quality are independent. Premium is a higher grade with additional additives. It's measurably better than regular grade.

Premium = 91/93, Regular = 85/87, Mid grade is 89 if it's even offered.

"Premium" gas is tied to octane.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
I don't buy into the better additives in most mfrs premium. OP run Top Tier regular or at least that's what I recommend as does the mfr of the car who know more than we do.

Mk7GolfDisease

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf 1.8T TSI
Premium grades burn more cleanly, leave less deposits, and are more resistant to knock.

More power can be made on premium grades, as it's safer to do so. Whether your engine will make more power is another matter. The factory ECU tuning can take advantage of the additional octane to a small extent. Modified ECU's are tuned for a specific grade of fuel and need that grade or higher.

Does your ECU have an aftermarket tune?
No my car is stock just led converted headlights and interior nothing else so only if its tuned you would see additional horse and all of that stuff but generally just a matter of cleaner engine i guess to why ppl suggest premium or second grade up from regular?

Mk7GolfDisease

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf 1.8T TSI
They are more than likely telling you to use premium based on older information regarding turbos and/or knock. They may also be recommending it because they believe it'll help with deposits, but that tends to be more brand/additive based than octane.

You'll see less potential knock, and with that engine timing changes with higher octane when pushing the engine to the limits. This tends to be more relevant in high performance vehicles or if your car is tuned. If stock, use whatever the minimum recommended octane is - which in this case is 87 in the US on the 1.8T.

Using a quality fuel (Any Top Tier gas company is recommended in the owners manual I believe) will help keep the engine clean, but since we have direct injection you'll always need a carbon cleaning for the valves at some point; regardless of fuel or additives you attempt to use.
Yeah my car is stock no tune up or anything added and those people who told me this info all have their civics/acuras tuned to the max to whatever they did but im not them i touched nothing on my car other then oil changes twice a year, tranny fluid changed at 70k mileage and full led conversion of headlights/interior nothing else. As in Canada thats like between 1.8 to 2.00 dollars Canadian a litre way too expensive... for my car at least you know what i mean?

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
No my car is stock just led converted headlights and interior nothing else so only if its tuned you would see additional horse and all of that stuff but generally just a matter of cleaner engine i guess to why ppl suggest premium or second grade up from regular?
The higher octane fuels are more resistant to knock and pre-ignition. More power can be made safely on a higher octane fuel.

On a stock engine, you can run Regular and it won't cause any issues. There are laws that require all new production vehicles be able to safely run Regular. There's some benefits to be had by using Premium, but it's up to you to decide if it's worth the extra cost.

Once tuned, it's required to use a Premium grade

Mk7GolfDisease

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf 1.8T TSI
Ye
The higher octane fuels are more resistant to knock and pre-ignition. More power can be made safely on a higher octane fuel.

On a stock engine, you can run Regular and it won't cause any issues. There are laws that require all new production vehicles be able to safely run Regular. There's some benefits to be had by using Premium, but it's up to you to decide if it's worth the extra cost.

Once tuned, it's required to use a Premium grade

Yeah ur correct those idiots who told me that have their hondas and acuras tuned to the max so i think it applies to them only and their under 6k worth car mine is 32k worth dollars when i purchased it 4 years ago still stock... Here in Canada its between 1.7 to 2.00 dollars a litre for premium anything other then regular highly expensive thanks to covid.