GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Pendulum Mount with Dogbone Insert -- Yay or Nay?

Handguns4heaRTs

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
For robustness sake, should dogbone inserts be paired with an upgraded pendulum arms?
Depends on power levels/how hard/often you launch it. A lot of guys with a lot of power have broken stock and aftermarket pendulum arms. I have the APR insert and pendulum, but honestly doubt I need the pendulum arm

Visceral

Go Kart Newbie
Agreed. I had the APR pendulum arm and took it off and went back to stock so that I could install the Powerflex Hybrid Puck. Haven't felt a need to put anything else in its place...

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
Yes, the oem pendulum arms break. I see it happen all the time. This one recently that I worked on had stock power, no tune.
IMG_2345.jpg

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
The reason the stock pendulum art breaks is excessive flex, causing unintended stresses on the arm (off-axis). The reason OEM pendulum arms break on stock power is because the driver is trying to launch, or it happens much later in life when the rubber from the stock pendulum mount has degraded and lost stiffness.
You can either go with an upgraded pendulum arm and dogbone mount, or you can keep the OEM pendulum arm and invest in an excellent dogbone mount (not a poly insert). Either setup with drastically reduce the unintended stresses on the arm.
By having only a pendulum arm, you'll still be introducing undesired flex since the puck will be just as soft.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Thanks for the input, guys.
Is it possible for a worn out puck to cause chassis/body vibrations under semi-hard braking? Brake problems having been ruled out.

Sumfuncomet

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Mercedes E63 S
I did both APR insert and pendulum mount along with BFI stage one mount. It did make a difference in the lurching sensation of the engine on the stock mounts. There is more noise and vibration at all times, but not bad. With over 300 horse and a six speed I wanted the stability.