GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Pendulum mount needed with upgraded motor mounts?

AceHammer

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 A3
Car is at 65K with a hybrid is38 and pretty sure my trans mount is torched, so I've settled on doing the 034 density mounts for both the engine and trans.

Question is will this affect the dogbone mount, I've heard horror stories of people having stock ones snap. Though I can't tell if this due to upgrading motor mounts or not.

I'd much rather pay 200 to put in an aftermarket one rather than f**k up other stuff, but would prefer to stay stock to keep nvh down if its not going to make much of a difference.

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
The dogbone mount is very important. It's what stops the driveline from rotating front to back. All of the dogbone upgrades will produce more NVH, some more than others.

AceHammer

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 A3
Would I be better off with a whole new dogbone such as the 034 one, or just an upgraded puck like the powerflex one

Last edited:

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
Last edited:

AceHammer

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 A3
Damn so many options now, thinking about just doing the full revo or ecs kit. Anyone have any experience with the ecs kit. Both seem to be the same price but ecs comes with a whole new dogbone.

edit - Also looking at the BFI kit but I don't like how their insert only seems to be a lower compared the full revo or ecs

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
so I've settled on doing the 034 density mounts for both the engine and trans.
As someone that has had the 034 engine and trans mounts and now the BFI eng/trans mounts I just want to suggest that you save yourself the time and money and just go with BFI mounts from the get go. There is a thread where I and quite a few others has issues with our 034 mounts, you can check it out below.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/engine-mount-is-it-done.365482/

AceHammer

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 A3
Yea that's not the only thread I've seen about 034 failures now...
As far as I can tell they're using cheap factory cast frames and just replacing the bushing.

Also from an engineering standpoint that I can 100% see how that roc euro arms cracked a transcase. Solid arm with no bushings/bearings + compliant eng/trans mounts = a ton of stress on the housing

I'm now down to either BFI trans/motor with Revo insert, or full Revo

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
I had the old version of the Revo set on my old '16 GTI. That version had the black rubber instead of the revised red rubber/poly that they have now. They wore out quickly, wouldn't recommend. Plus their customer service is unresponsive at best.

BFI mounts are great, I have a set of the Stage 2 on my '19 GTI. Also have the 034 dogbone arm with both the upper and lower inserts. Tons of NVH with this setup, but drivetrain movement is very limited.

If NVH is a concern, get the BFI Stage 1 mounts with either both 034 inserts, or a poly insert.

AceHammer

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 A3
Yea went with a BFI stage 1 motor and tranny mount, and a powerflex hybrid insert. IMO I didn't like how the revo mount didn't have that ear that bolts to the side, while oem and every other aftermarket one did.

I'll report back when they come in on how this setup feels on nvh and engine movement.

Rajas31

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 MK7 Golf R
Installed both BFI stage 1 motor and trans mounts after christmas. Worth every penny. I also have the apr pendulum mount. Like others have stated, NVH is noticeable when taking off from first and in reverse.

AceHammer

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 A3
Well for about the past 10k miles I've had issues with the downpipe rubbing against the chassis while wot, took me a while to put two and two together. Any nvh has to be better than that lol

AquaTone61

Car(s)
2015 GTI SE DSG
My OEM engine/trans mount were pretty much done at 45k. I "upgraded" my OEM mounts to the 034 street density mounts. I haven't had any issues but we shall see. I put in a Spulen dogbone insert well before I changed out the mounts. Once I put in the 034 mounts, the washer on the Spulen insert started to contact the subframe under medium to full throttle, partially because the Spulen insert had completely disintegrated. I got a Neuspeed insert because they had the smallest washer of any insert that I could find. Eventually I may look at getting a more solid dogbone bushing from a different model but for now the Neuspeed insert works well. I'm not "modded" per say, a drop in VWR filter and a turbo inlet pipe don't really count when comparing to an IS38 upgrade. The OEM mounts really can't stand up to stock power for very long, let alone an extra 100 hp. I don't plan on replacing the stock dogbone arm as the design seems to be fine for my needs.