GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Peeling chrome trim around shifter!

silkblue

Passed Driver's Ed
Happened to me a few weeks ago (or even before then) when I cut myself BAD when reaching in the cubby.

I'm just out of warranty - so dealer cut a deal so I'm looking at $75 to get it replaced. Will try to keep the old assembly, as I'd like to have an extra shift boot and shifter, but VW want might the part returned. Let's see what happens.

Dr.Ed

Passed Driver's Ed
You can also buy a complete imitation shifter @AliExpress for around $10-20. Remove the chrome part (its easy) and swap with your existing chipped trim. Problem solved at a fair budget. And a new shifter on stock:p....

$320??? Insane:confused:

zimmie2652

Ready to race!
Call VW directly or chat to them on customer chat. They paid for my diagnosis visit and are covering the repair. Out of warranty by 8k miles and fully covered by VW. They are calling it a “One time goodwill gesture.”

I believe they are starting to see this blowing up online per my conversation with their rep and my dealer who has had over 30 of these incidents reported.

Last edited:

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Had that happen in my '12 Mk6 at 19k, which used the same shift knob. Dealer quoted me at the time $450, but luckily it was replaced under warranty.

Didn't like that VW reused the shift knob for the Mk7. Wanted the golf ball knob.

Yeah, it's especially weird considering the 2010 MK6s came with golfball DSG shifters. but then they switched over to the same one we get on the mk7. but then they did golfball manual shifters for the mk7s. VW is so weird

tihoiho

Car(s)
VW
I have two 2016 golfs TSI, and both had the same problems I ciut my fingers and my son did too.
I think this could turn into a settlement since it is obvious and VW does not want to do much to it.

Fretman

Ready to race!
I got the recall letter today for my 2018 Golf. I haven't noticed any issue with the chrome peeling but will take a closer look now that I have the recall letter and read the posts in this thread.

Codeca

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 GoRf DSG
Hello everyone, be on the lookout for the chrome trim around the shifter peeling! This looks to be one hundred percent a factory defect but the local dealership is trying to say it's wear and tear(On a one year old car? Hah!). If anyone wants to, please take a photo of the front of this trim (point a phone backwards from inside the little box in front of the shifter) and we can see if you have the same issue. I've seen some posts where people have cut themselves on this sharp metal, but mine isn't so bad, could easily do it though if I wasn't careful.

While you're at it, take a look at the start button, these peel too apparently.

Click here to see the photo!
Same issue on mine....so I paid a whopping $8 off aliexpress for a replacement that took all of 10 seconds to install with a pry of the fingernail. Can post pictures later also if you're curious, but it's an perfect match in terms of finish.

quailallstar

WOB DJ496
Car(s)
MY19 MK7.5 GTI Bunny
My 2019 GTI trim is also pealing in this same area (cut the shit out of my finger recently). In addition, the top chrome trim on the steering wheel (around the twelve-o-clock mark) trim is bubbling up.

I'm at 48K miles and still under warranty. Taking the car in tomorrow in hopes they order replacement parts for both items.