GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Pedal tuners- Anyone have one, And can log output on VCDS or OBD11

FooDogg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S 6MT
I am seeking to improve MT experience in 2017 AT S 6mt in a couple ways: CDV delete, and better throttle response

Been advised to look into
1. a pedal tuner for more linear throttle response than the slow ramp-up of ECS setting,
2. that some opine is changed by "direct throttle" in OBD11 and Carista.

TiGeo here has logged output on "direct throttle" as 'not doing anything'

His data is convincing, showing perceived gains are placebo effect by butt dyno,
Based on a belief (from mistranslation from steering coding, affecting only that, to UI) in OBD-11 and Carista, as applying to throttle. (See his posts at vortex, fb, and his youtube channel)

So, now the questiin is:
3. do pedal tuners actually work,
how and why, and
is it proveable by data logging...

4. anyone have one installed, and OBd11 or access, can log and output proof?

Forge sells a pedal tuner:
https://www.forgemotorsport.com/Sprint_Booster_Universal--product--1917.htmlGood explanatiin for how its claimed to work.

Any others?

I'd go ahead and invest in the pedal tuner and OBD11 myself but lack skillz, confidence I'd get it right,
and dont want to pay additional labor at a tuner for credible proof, so thought I'd check if any cognoscenti here could share if they have already done so or has the means and interest, to get MOAR data...

thanks!
-Skeej, aka Foodogg at vortex, a noob struggling to learn more and get this AT tweaked to run as it should, not nannified...

Last edited:

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I am seeking to improve MT experience in 2017 AT S 6mt in a couple ways: CDV delete, and better throttle response

Been advised to look into
1. a pedal tuner for more linear throttle response than the slow ramp-up of ECS setting,
2. that some opine is changed by "direct throttle" in OBD11 and Carista.

TiGeo here (Adam Karst, aka Karst at vortex and FB pages VW Alltrack Owners, and others) has logged output on "direct throttle" as 'not doing anything'

His data is convincing, showing perceived gains are placebo effect by butt dyno,
Based on a belief (from mistranslation from steering coding, affecting only that, to UI) in OBD-11 and Carista, as applying to throttle. (See his posts at vortex, fb, and his youtube channel)

So, now the questiin is:
3. do pedal tuners actually work,
how and why, and
is it proveable by data logging...

4. anyone have one installed, and OBd11 or access, can log and output proof?

Forge sells a pedal tuner:
https://www.forgemotorsport.com/Sprint_Booster_Universal--product--1917.htmlGood explanatiin for how its claimed to work.

Any others?

I'd go ahead and invest in the pedal tuner and OBD11 myself but lack skillz, confidence I'd get it right,
and dont want to pay additional labor at a tuner for credible proof, so thought I'd check if any cognoscenti here could share if they have already done so or has the means and interest, to get MOAR data...

thanks!
-Skeej, aka Foodogg at vortex, a noob struggling to learn more and get this AT tweaked to run as it should, not nannified...

I have the BMS Pedal Tuner and the throttle response is terrific at the highest setting. I don't know if that can be logged but it sure can be felt. Don't know why you would want to log it anyway. It doesn't help with faster 1/4 mile times only throttle response. Anyone who has driven my car expresses the same thing. Whoa that throttle is sensitive. And the BMS one is less expensive than the Forge one.

https://burgertuning.com/products/bms-pedal-tuner

FooDogg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S 6MT
I have the BMS Pedal Tuner and the throttle response is terrific at the highest setting. I don't know if that can be logged but it sure can be felt. Don't know why you would want to log it anyway. It doesn't help with faster 1/4 mile times only throttle response. Anyone who has driven my car expresses the same thing. Whoa that throttle is sensitive. And the BMS one is less expensive than the Forge one.

https://burgertuning.com/products/bms-pedal-tuner
Thanks Jim, the video there and reviews under it are very helpful.
I see by your profile you drive a DSG, and I would imagine that helps with the late or otherwise frustrating shift points some have described.
I wonder if there is anyone else who has installed a pedal tuner in a 6MT?
Am I overthinking this- or is there a definite delay in the ECS to pedal on a manual model- that combined with the slowed by CDV clutch, is what contributes to what some call "herky jerky" and hard to predict clutch engagement in the GSW/AT 1.8tsi models.

That "odd" shifting behavior
(a feeling of delayed engagement, and a weird feedback loop that I first attributed to haldex clutch, plus too easy to stall out in first, especially if going uphill)
has always frustrated me, and my otherwise great dealership had no info other than- "thats how its supposed to work".

I spent a lot of time trying to refine my shifting timing, and get smooth, and finally got it, but not with a feeling of confidence, just irritation that it was so un-certain...

And I think that also contributed to my having a clutch replaced at 29K...
(too much of my alternatively feathering it, jamming it, trying different tricks to up and down shift in a predictable way)
and which VWOA refused to consider as anything but a wear item, naturally....

So, this has bugged me ever since- and I want to get to the bottom of it, and make this car work like it should
(or definitively accept that I am a plumber, gone around the bend...:)

NOTE: full disclosure- I am NOT a racer, or rally or trying launches- just a DD guy who would like to tow a bit, AFTER getting a bit more grunt from an APR1,
and need to be sure I am getting good engagement in future- NOT just half-assing it, and end up replacing a clutch again, early.

I just dont want to put up with having a hell of a time getting to where I can shift smoothly...
I am pretty sure I am not dreaming- compared to 45 years of driving other MT, in all sorts of other German vehicles, including 70's VW Beetle, Porsche 914, SteyerPuch Pinzgauer, 96TdiWagon, and now this 2017 GolfAlltrack S 6mt.

Last edited:

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
I've got the BMS one as well, and I love it. You get used to it pretty quickly to the point that you notice it more when it's set to stock.

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion

FooDogg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S 6MT
Last edited:

tigeo

Autocross Champion
The logging wasn't as a proof the pedal boxes work (that's a given) I was curious if it changed the %accelerator to %throttle ratio. I've done a bunch of logging on the "driving profile switchover" mod so many do that they claim improves throttle response I figured if someone with OBDEleven and a pedal tuner could log the same thing/same conditions it would help me explain this.

FooDogg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S 6MT
The logging wasn't as a proof the pedal boxes work (that's a given) I was curious if it changed the %accelerator to %throttle ratio. I've done a bunch of logging on the "driving profile switchover" mod so many do that they claim improves throttle response I figured if someone with OBDEleven and a pedal tuner could log the same thing/same conditions it would help me explain this.
Thanks for the clarification, Tigeo.

Last edited:

FooDogg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S 6MT
Update...still researching.
Now considering JB4 vs APR1, looking for most TQ at lowest RPM the APR1 dyno looks best,
But reflecting on one opinion about JB4 options that it helped with better throttle response, so a pedal box would be unnecessary...
Amiright?

TIA!
-skeej

tigeo

Autocross Champion
A tune by default will change the throttle feel of the car for sure.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Update...still researching.
Now considering JB4 vs APR1, looking for most TQ at lowest RPM the APR1 dyno looks best,
But reflecting on one opinion about JB4 options that it helped with better throttle response, so a pedal box would be unnecessary...
Amiright?

TIA!
-skeej

A pedal tuner will still give you better response. A tune will make it feel like it has better response just because it improves on the OEM tune. A pedal tuner will make any tune feel more responsive. It doesn't improve power just the initial response when you step on the throttle. People who I let drive my car always say that the throttle feels jumpy.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Here's what a pedal tuner does when you log it if anyone is interested. Yes, per the post above, it's still going to work, but at some point I would think this would be somewhat annoying as you add power.

pedal_tuner_comparo.JPG