GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

PDC Retrofit Question

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
If you purchased the kit from AliExpress, then it's definitely made to be on the left side. Initially when I had it on the left side, I had my buddy block each sensor while I was looking at the screen. It did correspond, meaning the harness was made to be mounted from left to right.

The repinning process is going to be tough as I can't find my special repin VAS tool (I purchased one a while ago), and the Chinese "generic" ones don't do justice with the plastics. I have a friend who works at a VW workshop, I will borrow one from him after I figure out which pins I have to replace (unfortunately I haven't been able to find information about this).

Thank you for the pin numbers, I'll be sure to test it out. (Dumb question, but from where do you count the pin numbers? I know there are big pins at the ends - do they start from 1, or do you start from the smaller ones?)

Last edited:

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
So, the long awaited update has finally come!

I had time today to work on the rear again. I had to make 2 additional 18mm holes for the rear side sensors and connect back the rear sensors loom.

If you remember, I went on routing the loom on the right side of the vehicle, as per the OEM location. I then obviously had to re-pin the rear sensors loom so the sensors correspond to the change, as the AliExpress/aftemarket looms are made to be routed on the left side. But then I thought to myself - why not keep the bumper connection as it this, and just route the cable from right to left under the rear cargo carpeting?

So I did that, and it came out perfectly. The loom was long just enough for it to fit, so it feels 100% OEM. You can't see any cables and I'm feeling good about myself taking the OEM route!

Time for some pictures!

Here's me outside with everything taken off. Unfortunately I don't have a good parking spot in my house, so I had to work outside. Sucks, but what can you do!

1601637912379.png

As I mentioned, I had to cut the two additional rear side sensor holes which are 18mm. For that task, I purchased the OEM Skoda cutting tool (P/N BEA000001) which cost around 20$ shipped - not too bad. The tool is basically a punch with a long screw that you have to put through the bumper (for that you have to drill a premade 8mm holes), and then you screw the cap on the other side and you use an Allen key to screw it slowly until the cap punches through the bumper.

1601638017330.png
1601638028338.png

That was really quick and effective, and I was pretty happy with the results. The paint was damageless and the hole that was made looks OEM.

However, I had one issue. It seems @Cuzoe was right, and the extra .2mm are required. After punching the hole, I tried to put the sensor in without the bracket. It barely fit. I had to really push it through, and it still wasn't flush. Only then I realized the hole has to be 18.2mm for it to sit flush. I took a picture for you guys so you can see what I'm talking about.

This is when I pushed it all the way through and it was still not flush.

1601638117892.png

Nevertheless, I still managed to put them in eventually. The 3M double sided tape bracket that the kit came with are shit and worthless. I had to add a large amount of superglue for them to fit as they were just not sticking (and yes, I did clean the mounting area with APC and wiped it off). So, I suggest investing in the OEM sensor brackets or a good glue and to wait some minutes before mounting the sensors.

This is the final result. Not 100% perfect, I'd say probably 90%. If you want 100% - there's no way other than purchasing a genuine bumper with premade PDC holes (there's a PR for that).

1601638241665.png

And of course - a demonstration video for you guys:

So, what's next?
Unfortunately, with my work, I don't have a lot of time during the week so I leave the weekends to work on my car.

I plan to do the front sensors next week, but before that, I want to de-pin the harness and route the cables. Only then, I'll take off the front bumper, drill the holes and mount the front sesnrso.

I'll be back with more updates.
Stay safe everyone, cheers.

lijetta18t

Passed Driver's Ed
This is awesome! Seems like you are getting there! Are you going to order the 18.2mm cutting tool to clean up the side holes or just leave it as is?

Any desire to retrofit the rear camera along with the sensors? My previous 15 Golf had factory front/rear PDC but no camera. Once I retrofitted the rear camera (low line; no curving guide lines), it shows the camera and then shows the sensors off to the left side. I, personally, really liked that combo.

My new Golf Sportwagen (Variant) has the rear camera (as it is a requirement on all cars in the US as of 2016) but I do plan on adding in the front/rear PDC at some point in the future. Not sure if I am going with Kufatec or AiduAuto Ali kit yet.

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
This is awesome! Seems like you are getting there! Are you going to order the 18.2mm cutting tool to clean up the side holes or just leave it as is?

Any desire to retrofit the rear camera along with the sensors? My previous 15 Golf had factory front/rear PDC but no camera. Once I retrofitted the rear camera (low line; no curving guide lines), it shows the camera and then shows the sensors off to the left side. I, personally, really liked that combo.

My new Golf Sportwagen (Variant) has the rear camera (as it is a requirement on all cars in the US as of 2016) but I do plan on adding in the front/rear PDC at some point in the future. Not sure if I am going with Kufatec or AiduAuto Ali kit yet.

Unfortunately there’s no 18.2mm genuine tool for this, only aftermarket tools which seem to do the job. Why is the Skoda one 18mm but the sensor doesn’t fit is a good question. I might do it in the future, but it works for now. Anyways I guess it’s good information for future vehicles and for the internet!

The camera with the PDC overlay is definitely a great combo. I actually ordered a high line reversing camera which should arrive in about two weeks. I’m going to retrofit it and post a detailed retrofit guide, as I couldn’t find one and I like to share information.

I really like the wagon variant. I’m really glad to hear you’re enjoying your new car. As for your question - if I were you I’d order the parts separately, as they’re super cheap (sensors, buzzers, brackets, module) and I’d order the loom from Kufatec. The Ali kits are nice but they just don’t feel genuine. I had bad experience with “genuine Chinese” AliExpress parts and the PDC kit was definitely a result of less homework & more urge to purchase. I would’ve feel much better if I went on the route I suggested you go for.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
This is copy/paste from my post several pages back... but there are genuine VW tools for 18.2. I'm sure they are very expensive though.

A little more digging... the 2015 Erwin manual says to use VAS 6614B to install parking sensors. Same tool is called out for front and rear bumper.
According to the VW/Snap-on page, VAS 6614B = VAS 6614A plus supplementary 4 securing aids (VAS 6614/7)

VAS 6614A is comprised of the following:
1 screw hole punch ø 18.2mm
1 screw hole punch ø 26mm
1 centering drift ø 18.2mm
1 panel drill bit, cylindrical shaft
1 pin, red
4 attachment aids

I measured the AliExpress side sensors at 26.5mm though so this kit would include one (expensive) tool that is not useful for the Ali kit. My recommendation is just to buy one of the generic PDC punch kits. Cheaper and easy to find on eBay in the states but they're available on Amazon for around $100 USD. I bought this exact kit used on eBay for under $65 shipped and it has 10 sizes, including the 18.2mm and 26.7mm that worked for the Ali kit.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Secondary question so that I'm clear... you have the harness running down the right side of the car, but the bumper harness was installed with the connection on the left? But the harness was long enough to run across (right to left) and into the bumper on the left side? So you didn't re-pin anything?

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
Secondary question so that I'm clear... you have the harness running down the right side of the car, but the bumper harness was installed with the connection on the left? But the harness was long enough to run across (right to left) and into the bumper on the left side? So you didn't re-pin anything?

Cuzoe, I actually took a picture for you before wrapping everything up because I knew you'd ask!

The AliExpress kit was definitely to be mounted on the left side. I know that because the supply the same PDF instructions that carsystems.pl though, even though it's not theirs. The PDF states to route it on the left side, even though it's supposed to be on the right. You can also test it yourself. If you align the rear sensors loom (it can only be aligned in one way), and then you test the sensors by covering them, you'll see the corresponding sensors blocked on the screen. When I performed this test, the loom was on the left side and it was perfect.

So yes, the cable was just long enough to reach the left side, after routing it on the right side.

1601651759417.png

I marked the loom on the picture so it's easier to understand. In the picture it looks like the cable is just thrown over there, but I took it for you so you can understand what's going on. After taking the picture, I tucked the loom under the carpet.

I suggest you do the same!

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I'm going to have do some wiring checks... my bumper harness is "installed" and secured to the bumper already, and the connection is routed to the right. It's right by the connection for the rear plate lights.

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
I see. Mind you say how you mounted it to the bumper? Do you have pictures maybe?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I got lazy with the JB weld plastic epoxy... I was going to tape it off for clean lines but I figured no one would ever see it and the mosquitos were destroying me. I mixed the epoxy, got it on the mounts and got out of there, haha.

But I since my connection is on the right I guess I'll just run the harness on the right and plan to re-pin (after verifying with my multimeter). Of course, it would be easier to just cut the zip ties and reverse the bumper harness to install it the way you did. I haven't run the harness in the car yet, hopefully this weekend.

No one else with this retrofit able to chime-in about where they ran the harness and what side their bumper harness connection is on? I would expect not but do wonder if some Ali vendors have their harness wired differently.

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
@Cuzoe Do you have pictures of the front sensors? I think their orientation matters and I want to see how to do them before disassembling my front bumper.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Sure, the fender ones can only mount one way and the two center ones have to face the outside of the car because of the cutout in the crash bar foam. The two outer sensors (not fender) should face the inside of the car otherwise the connector will interfere with that plastic brace/fog light mount.
IMG_20201003_062747.jpg
IMG_20201003_062739.jpg

I trimmed a small piece of the connector which I will take a picture of later to make it fit, nothing structural or large but if I had faced the sensors the other way it wouldn't have been necessary. I didn't notice it needed to face the other way because you have to remove that entire plastic piece to install the fender sensor. The Erwin manual shows it oriented the way that I did but it's wrong.
IMG_20201003_062727__01.jpg

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
Thanks a lot.

I plan to take out the front bumper next week to assemble the sensors and a week after that I plan to route the wires.

Can you post a picture of the product you used to weld the sensor brackets? I assume it's by JBWeld?