GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

PDC Retrofit Question

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
So, going to try to install the rest of the stuff this Friday.

I already have aftermarket sensors on my car for the rear, unfortunately. However, the job looks clean and I think they used the original holes for this. If not, I'd have to get a new bumper but I think they did use the right holes and the right size (they look really genuine).

I'm gonna do the rear only and route the cables properly, as well as install the speaker.

Does the speaker need any holes to be mounted? Where exactly do you mount it?

o_a_ravi

Go Kart Newbie
Do you have pictures so I know which plugs you're referring to? Which tool to use or which backup stuff to order?

PDC Connector.jpg
PDC Connector.jpg

In regards to the connector, this is the one i am referring to., you wont need it. But just in case you break it during the removal/re-pinning process.

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
Oh, I understand what you mean now.

So, an update:

I'm planning to take out the rear bumper tomorrow to mount the rear sensors to the existing aftermarket sensor holes.

However, today I tried to connect all 6 sensors to the rear sensors loom just to make it's working. And indeed, I could see the rear sensors as functioning on my MMI (the front/side had a "!" but the rear sensors didn't). However, I faced two issues:

1. The sensors were really random. Like, I put them in my hand and tried to cover them and the visual didn't really change. Only a bit and it was super random and not relative to the actual sensor.
2. The sound didn't work, even though the speaker IS connected and I made sure the speaker volume is up through the settings.

Any idea why that happens? Note that I didn't connect the front/side sensors yet, only the rear.

Another side question - how many sensors should the PLA have? The rear loom seems to have 6 sensors and I could only connect the "flat" regular ones. The special ones (the ones that go on the side) didn't connect to it. So the back has 6 regular sensors and the front has 4 regular sensors and the front side has 2 side sensors? Or what?

o_a_ravi

Go Kart Newbie
I did the same testing those out prior to final installation. Distancing will not accurate until you install it on the bumpers. All I did was to double check on the connection of each position sensors all the way back to the contoller plugs and the grounding.

You should not have ! symbol on MMI even while test fitting. That could indicate a problem with the coding and/or connection issue. Did you scan the module using VCDS and double check on the coding ?

Speakers usually will not beep until all the errors are resolved. However it sometimes do a siren type of a tone for coding/connection errors. For a speaker test, you could run the Test function under the Park Module in VCDS.

For the PLA Sensors., Except the 2 front wheel fender sensors, all the remaining 10 are regular black colored sensors.

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
So today I finally had time and went to start phase 1 of my installation.

This time I actually completed a lot!
  • Routed the PDC buttons loom from the PDC module to the center console.
  • Connected the PDC buttons loom to the center console, as well as the light blue wire to pin 10 of the rotary light switch - Woot! It worked!
  • Took apart a lot of plastics in order to route the loom from the PDC module to the back. I'm pretty sure I broke one plastic but the rest were merely clips.
  • Mounted the rear speaker (see question below).
So, I still haven't mounted the actual sensors as it was getting dark and I didn't have time, but for some reason they finally beeped!

The second time they didn't work. I assume the module will work 20% of the times when not all the sensors are connected.

1. Pretty dumb question - but how do you know which connector on the loom is connected to which sensor? I thought about it today.

2.Now, about the rear buzzer. I couldn't find info on where to mount it exactly.
This is where I currently put it (this plastic screw thing was there without anything).
1599244856917.png

However there's another used hole (which doesn't align with the speaker holes):
1599244889463.png

So my question is - where is the correct position for the speaker and what do you use to mount it?

Thanks!

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
The locations for the speakers are in the instructions that o_a_ravi posted on page 2.

I looked at them but still can’t figure out the exact location from those tiny pics or what screws or fasteners to use.

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
I just looked at it again and I noticed it’s showing the speaker on the right side of the vehicle?

That doesn’t make sense as the module is on the left side and that’s where the wires are going.

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
Anyone?

Also something else with the speaker that doesn’t make sense is that the trim piece on the back covers it, so the volume is much lower even when set to maximum because it’s blocked by that piece.

Is it normal?

lijetta18t

Passed Driver's Ed
Fraysa,

Actually, I think the main rear wiring harness is supposed to be run along the right side of the vehicle. On my late Mk7 Golf with factory PDC, the connector from the bumper to body was actually on the right side along with the speaker. Maybe switch the sides on where this wiring is run?

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
Wow, that kinda sucks as I already took apart a lot of parts in order to run it from the left side.

Are you LHD or RHD?

Is there a picture to show the speaker exact location?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Measurements of the AliExpress sensors with my (uncalibrated) caliper, and the two dies I'll be using to punch my holes. The small sensor has a rubber surround so the exact size hole should be fine. The larger side sensor does not have a rubber surround so the .2mm clearance is good.
IMG_20200912_161433.jpg

IMG_20200912_161454.jpg

IMG_20200912_161613.jpg

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
Are you guys sure the side rear sensors shouldn’t be the large sensor as well?

On every VAG car I see both the front and the rear side sensors have the curved bracket and only the 4 other ones are flat. On the AliExpress you get 6 flat for the rear which doesn’t make sense.

Another question: on the MMI display there are 4 indicators for each sensor even though there are 6. Anyone thought of that?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Had a look at this, since I am in progress with this but have not punched the holes in the rear bumper yet. Took a snap from this page...
https://www.ilcats.ru/vw/?function=...&group=9&subgroup=919&part=919000&language=en

Noted the following part numbers:
Index 7 - 5Q0 919 275 B - 4 ea, rear bumper
Index 13 - 5Q0 919 275 B - 2 ea, rear fender
Index 17 - 5Q0 919 275 B - 4 ea, front bumper
Index 22 - 5Q0 919 297 B - 2 ea, front fender

The only different ones are for the front fenders. I actually didn't have a close look at the part numbers on the sensors from Ali (and they may not match these) but this does match up with regard to 10 sensors being the same. By that same token, every sensor bracket (except the 2 in the center of the front bumper) has a different part number. To my eyes all the brackets in the Ali kit are same, except the front fenders of course.

I didn't have any issue with fitting any of the brackets to the front bumper, as those area where basically flat. VW manual does use these plastic "staples" though, similar to what's being used in this video I suspect. Some other videos I watched show removal of factory sensor brackets held with 3M adhesive pads that look similar to what came on the Ali brackets. I used some wood working clamps to hold the brackets on for a few hours. And I'm thinking about going around the edges with some two part epoxy. They feel very secure now though and won't be subject to anything besides air pushing on them.

For those that have done this retrofit with the Ali kit, what did you use to hold the brackets?

Sensors.JPG