GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

PDC Retrofit Question

o_a_ravi

Go Kart Newbie
The AliXpress kit came with 3M doublesided tapes. I dont think they will do a good job., initially used the tapes., but within 2 weeks of install, 2 of my sensors popped in. I had to then use 2 part epoxy (JB Weld Black) on the brackets., its been 2 years now and is still holding good.

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
Hmm, interesting.

I was in the VW/Audi dealership the other day and all the newer cars have the angled sensors at the rear side as well.

Anyways, any answer to my MMI question? How do you have 6 sensors but the display only shows 4?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
... Anyways, any answer to my MMI question? How do you have 6 sensors but the display only shows 4?
Aren't the fender sensors only used for parallel parking assist? If so, that behavior makes sense to me. Four sensors front and back are shown on the MMI to warn as you get close to obstacles in front of or behind you. The car can't really move in the direction that the fender sensors face, not without also moving forward or reverse.

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
Aren't the fender sensors only used for parallel parking assist? If so, that behavior makes sense to me. Four sensors front and back are shown on the MMI to warn as you get close to obstacles in front of or behind you. The car can't really move in the direction that the fender sensors face, not without also moving forward or reverse.

In the MMI screen I can see 4 sides: front, back, and two sides.

The rear sensors have 4 lines, even though there are 6 sensors. The side sensors are showing on the screen as the outer lines, so that doesn't make sense to me.

A quick update: I received the PDC bracket yesterday (P/N 5Q0937503A). Took some pictures for reference if anyone needs it:

1600240248360.png

1600240259828.png

And this is how the PDC module sits inside it:

1600240276504.png

1600240283239.png

It seems this bracket isn't specifically made for PDC, but for other electronics devices as this looks to be pretty generic and has more holes.

It should clip to the PDC location under the steering wheel without any screws, but I've yet to try as I don't know the exact location for this.

o_a_ravi

Go Kart Newbie
I ordered the same bracket as well, but never installed it., getting under the steering wheel area is a pain in the butt., so just used a double sided velcro and stuck the PDC module in there. Will install it someday. I think it clips on somewhere in there...

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
Received the 27mm punch from AliExpress yesterday, the 18mm is still on the way. For the 18mm I used the Skoda genuine part (BEA0000001) as the price was the same.

In this weekend I will install the PDC module with the bracket and route the cables correctly this time and document my process here in this thread.

Hopefully my documentation is helping someone :).

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I'm in work on this too, I'll post what I have found regarding the orientation of each sensor this weekend... it does matter, haha.
IMG_20200912_204934.jpgIMG_20200913_171902.jpgIMG_20200912_204920.jpgIMG_20200912_204925.jpgIMG_20200913_123546.jpgIMG_20200912_164311.jpgIMG_20200912_163554.jpg

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
Interesting.
Orientation is indeed something we never discussed. Please do your best to include this if you can. I already made my rear sensors wrong, I don’t wanna get the front wrong too.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
First note that I can only discuss the bumper of a Golf... I don't know if the inside of the inside of the GTI/R bumper is different.

As you can see in the second thumbnail from my last post, the front fender sensors can only go on one way, and the bracket for those is angled appropriately.

The two outboard front bumper sensors should have the connectors facing inboard. There is large frame/bracket in the bumper (holds the fogs, or covers if you don't have fogs) and if the connectors face outboard they will interfere with this bracket. I initially had these connectors facing outboard (based on a general system picture in the Erwin manual) but I realized it was wrong when I put that frame back in. The frame has to come off in order to install the fender sensors.

The two inner front bumper sensors should have their connectors facing outboard. The foam on the front crash bar has a molded recess to allow for the sensors and the harness. The connectors must face outboard to fit in that recess, assuming the foam to bumper clearance is tight.

I will take some pictures and add them to this post later this evening.

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
So, an update on today's progress.

I started with the PDC module bracket. Using a YouTube video, I found the exact location of it. It's supposed to clip into the side of the BCM plastic holder. However, I had an issue - the bracket was too big to fit as there was a huge black/red cable around there that I didn't wanna temper with. I ended up cutting the excess plastic around the actual BCM holder, so I was left with something like this (notice I marked the two tabs that needs to slide in):

1600536519198.png

Unfortunately, even after cutting it, I wasn't able to slide it in the designated place. It seems the holes are smaller than the tabs on the BCM module bracket, which doesn't make sense to me. I ended up using double sided tape for now until I figure out how it works. I took a picture - you can see the marked tabs where the bracket should slide in, they're perfectly aligned with the bracket tabs:

1600536577100.png

I then moved to disconnecting the rear sensors loom from the left side of the vehicle and routing it on the right side this time. Routing the cables from the left side of the vehicle behind the center console plastics is not an easy task. I had to improvise. I ended up doing an okay job, but definitely not what I was expecting.

I also found the proper location for the speaker this time.
I took a picture so you guys can see. The speaker fits right there as the holes align with the holes on the metal. I used one rivet I found laying around there to hold one side which works for now, but I'm sure the original one uses two OEM rivets specific for this.

1600536359448.png

So:
- Cable routed.
- Module mounted.
- Speaker connected.

I left the wiring loom for the rear sensors disconnected as I need to drill another 2 18mm holes for the side sensors and my cutting device still hasn't arrived.

If anyone knows the location of the front buzzer, that'd be awesome.

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
So both the Spanish guide and the polish carsystemS PDF say to route the loom in the left side?! It doesn’t make sense to me as the erwin portraits show the speaker on the right.
Can anyone confirm this once and for all?!

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
The problem is the AliExpress harness is made for the left side, so I might need to replace the pins to make it work for the other direction.