GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

PDC Retrofit Question

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
Dunno then!

Easy enough to swap the brackets over if you'd like to. I find the flat ones actually end up looking better hahaha.

Found a proof& finally!!!

a 2015 MK7 GTI in Israel with PLA from factory.

73636F38-E1BB-4683-8ACA-B42B4DC809FC.png

Last edited:

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
Hey guys! It's been such a long time, however, I do have a small update.

I found an AliExpress seller that sells OEM PDC brackets that come without any double-sided tape! I took out the bumper this weekend, took out the old brackets, sanded each area down, used JBWeld PlasticWeld and also re-painted the sensors.

1615129002734.png

1615129018007.png

1615129032071.png

And here's the final result:
1615129053356.png

1615128986182.png

The sensors now properly match the color of the car and they're glued perfectly and sit 98% flush!

Gonna redo the front when I get the second set from the seller.

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
hey, it looks great! nice work

Thank you! Gonna post more progress when I redo the front sensors.

I do recommend to anyone ordering any kits to paint them yourselves. The painted ones that came from AliExpress were really off the original color of my car.

o_a_ravi

Go Kart Newbie
Thank you! Gonna post more progress when I redo the front sensors.

I do recommend to anyone ordering any kits to paint them yourselves. The painted ones that came from AliExpress were really off the original color of my car.
Yes i have seen some sellers even offering a paint service when the sensor/parts are purchased from them.

Like you said, its best to just get the primed sensors (primer only applied). Order a small spray can paint matching your color code from dealer or reliable paint shop and have them painted yourself or a local body shop. With a coat of clear.

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
Funny you mentioned Kufatec harnesses being short. That is certainly not the case with the footwell light harness I used as I had at least 2-3ft left over near the BCM with plenty of slack on each side and wiring was run with the factory wiring harness. I had to wrap it up and tesa tape it so it didn't rattle.
I had a problem with the Kufatec webasto heater harness. Was a good 4 feet short.

joka23

Car(s)
golf mk7 1.4 TSI
Hi I am going to be carrying out a similar retrofit on my RHD car (from UK). I am still confused on which way the cable should be routed from the rear to the front of the car. Would I route it to the right (without repinning) as I have a RHD vehicle and the module sits under the steering column?

Thank you for all your help documenting this process, I have learnt alot.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Hi I am going to be carrying out a similar retrofit on my RHD car (from UK). I am still confused on which way the cable should be routed from the rear to the front of the car. Would I route it to the right (without repinning) as I have a RHD vehicle and the module sits under the steering column?

Thank you for all your help documenting this process, I have learnt alot.
Yes.

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
I routed the wires up what would be your driver's side, and crossed over to in the front.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I routed mine down the right side of the car (your driver side, my passenger side, but doesn't matter) and I had to re-pin because the harness was pinned for left side routing. Best bet is to check it when you get it, don't want to get the bumper on and then find out it's backwards, haha.

joka23

Car(s)
golf mk7 1.4 TSI
I routed mine down the right side of the car (your driver side, my passenger side, but doesn't matter) and I had to re-pin because the harness was pinned for left side routing. Best bet is to check it when you get it, don't want to get the bumper on and then find out it's backwards, haha.
Thank you! I did read that you repinned! I think I will just run it down the right side and if they're flipped I will then follow your comment to repin. Mind me asking, long term, how have they held up? Do you enjoy them?

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
Thank you! I did read that you repinned! I think I will just run it down the right side and if they're flipped I will then follow your comment to repin. Mind me asking, long term, how have they held up? Do you enjoy them?

I regret going the AliExpress route to be honest. The sensors sometimes have false positives and they can beep randomly. The cables are in pretty low quality. One of the pins in my front harness slipped out so I had to take off the bumper and redo it.

joka23

Car(s)
golf mk7 1.4 TSI
I regret going the AliExpress route to be honest. The sensors sometimes have false positives and they can beep randomly. The cables are in pretty low quality. One of the pins in my front harness slipped out so I had to take off the bumper and redo it.
Interesting! Thank you for being honest. Did you ever go down the route of buying OEM sensors?
The time the pin came off the front harness, was this the one that you mentioned in the thread or did it happen again?

I would like to say again. Thank you for documenting this so well, I'm excited to get them fitted and have sensors as the previous owner installed aftermarket ones which are full of false positives and a beeping noise that doesn't correspond to distance

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
Interesting! Thank you for being honest. Did you ever go down the route of buying OEM sensors?
The time the pin came off the front harness, was this the one that you mentioned in the thread or did it happen again?

I would like to say again. Thank you for documenting this so well, I'm excited to get them fitted and have sensors as the previous owner installed aftermarket ones which are full of false positives and a beeping noise that doesn't correspond to distance

I never got OEM sensors because I’m not sure if I’m selling the car or not. Also I don’t wanna take off the bumpers again. It happened again, the harnesses are in pretty bad quality so that’s why.

I’m happy to see my journey helped someone else! Good for you my man. It’s a really awesome retrofit.