GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Passenger-side airbag

ggerousis

I noticed that the passenger-side air bag in my mk7 is concealed but with no trim covering. How is the airbag released? Is it supposed to rip thru the soft-touch plastic of the dashboard? If yes, does it mean that the entire dashboard has to be replaced?

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
Most cars are like that now, let the insurance worry about the cost, they get enough of us.

Fanis1

Ready to race!
Agree... Furthermore, if you have a crash hard enough for the airbags to deploy, you probably have more important things and more expensive things to take care of... I believe it looks so good with the airbag hidden like this

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Passenger airbags in the Mk5 and Mk6 Golf are the same.

ggerousis

Agree... Furthermore, if you have a crash hard enough for the airbags to deploy, you probably have more important things and more expensive things to take care of... I believe it looks so good with the airbag hidden like this

I agree with you. But they could have easily tucked away the airbag behind the plastic/aluminum trim strip right above the glove box. This way, the insurance will only have to pay for the new airbag with no additional cost pertaining to replacing expensive dashboard parts.

vwman

Go Kart Champion
This will cost mk7 owners a hefty sum of money. I expected better engineering design from those VW German engineers.

The Mk7 is generally costing less in insurance premiums (lower insurance groupings) because of all the new safety technology built into this model so i don't why you think it 'will cost mk7 owners a hefty sum of money'

The dash construction is also new to this model so I'm sure the design engineers would have reviewed the passenger air bag deployment as part of ongoing development anyway.

Golfing1

Passed Driver's Ed
The seat stitching rips when the side airbags deploy too...most, if not all cars do this.