GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Passenger rattle solved!

KzooGerti

Passed Driver's Ed
IMG_20200204_190509718.jpg

I finally found the passenger side rattle that's been driving me crazy. I noticed the noise seemed less with someone in the passenger seat so I went under the seat with a flashlight. I was able to duplicate the sound by lightly banging around down there. There's a little black control box right in the middle of the seat. A bit of scrap rubber between the top of the box and the seat completely removed the sound! Even if it falls out or something I at least know where the noise is coming from now!

I'm also in the process of putting Gummi Pflege on the sunroof and door seals to get rid of the squeak. The first application didn't take care of it. If it doesn't work I'll have to try the Velcro pieces.

I had trouble articulating the passenger side problem when searching, so hopefully this will help others.

SuperDuper

Go Kart Newbie
Where is the scrap rubber in your photo? I’m curious if this is the same rattle I’m getting in my seat.

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
Where is the scrap rubber in your photo? I’m curious if this is the same rattle I’m getting in my seat.

I would assume the puck above the mounting hole towards the top left.

Had the same rattle and I just taped it up with Tesa tape and put a bit between as well.

KzooGerti

Passed Driver's Ed
I would assume the puck above the mounting hole towards the top left.

Had the same rattle and I just taped it up with Tesa tape and put a bit between as well.
Correct. Tape would work too, but in my noise reduction quests in the past I've found foam and rubber pieces work great since a lot of other things like tape are affected more by heat and cold, etc.

GTI230

Car(s)
Golf Mk7 GTI PP 2016
I cannot thank you enough for this!

I too have the same rattle and kinda cracked it by shoving a rag in between the seat bolster and the armrest but it was finicky and unsightly. It also prohibited my gf from moving the seat so as to not disturb the rag😄
I didn’t place the microfibre cloth exactly where you have the rubber as I have the stowage drawer underneath the seat( let me know if you do as well) but after one or two attempts I finally found a spot where the rattle stops. This is such a relief it’s hard to put into words really.

Sidebrowns

Passed Driver's Ed
Man, I wish I had the ambition to hunt down rattles. Got a nasty buzz on decel coming from the glovebox or passenger door but I just live with it lol.

Sidebrowns

Passed Driver's Ed
Don't give in, it'll consume you haha!
Amen, gotta draw the line somewhere. Already have my obsessions that make it harder to enjoy the car (never touching the paintwork with anything other than a mic, never getting into the throttle until oil is 180⁰ F, never shutting the car down immediately after hooning, never letting a week go by without de-sooting the exhaust, never rubbing against the bolster when I get in/out of the car...) fuck I think it already consumed me lol. 😂

GTI230

Car(s)
Golf Mk7 GTI PP 2016
I can relate to most, if not all, but I gotta say you're really lacking in mechanical sympathy there. Getting into the throttle when the oil is 180? Are you mad?! 212 for me and even then I think to myself 'but would the gearbox be up to temp by now?' In a world without petrolheads we really would be certifiably insane.

Sidebrowns

Passed Driver's Ed
Haha, got dammit Bobby! Now you put another no-no in my idiot goldfish head. But nah, I'm not that worried about the trans; never killed one in all my time beating on cars. Hell, I even double clutch my blipped downshifts even though I know it in all likelihood has no effect on anything. Trust me: mechanical sympathy is my middle name. Or is it Thaddeus?

Oh, and tbf in any world we're certifiably insane.

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
Man, I wish I had the ambition to hunt down rattles. Got a nasty buzz on decel coming from the glovebox or passenger door but I just live with it lol.
I could be totally wrong but this sounds a lot like the “fuel line buzzing” problem. I didn’t used to have it but ever since I messed with the lines a couple months ago now I do. It’s somewhere between 1500-2000 rpm on deceleration for me.

Sidebrowns

Passed Driver's Ed
I could be totally wrong but this sounds a lot like the “fuel line buzzing” problem. I didn’t used to have it but ever since I messed with the lines a couple months ago now I do. It’s somewhere between 1500-2000 rpm on deceleration for me.
Oh shit waddup yeah I think you may be right. I remember this from the mk5 days as well. The buzzing is super loud so I assumed it was in cabin but maybe if it's hitting the right frequency on the chassis it would resonate into the cabin. Dammit I didn't want to chase this one but now I'm intrigued lol.

Nickmk7

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
mk7 TDI SEL M/T
Don't give in, it'll consume you haha Man, I wish I had the ambition to hunt down rattles. Got a nasty buzz on decel coming from the glovebox or passenger door but I just live with it lol.
The little black plastic piece on the underside of the armrest when it’s extended, that’s probably your rattle. Easy fix just push it out

Sidebrowns

Passed Driver's Ed
The little black plastic piece on the underside of the armrest when it’s extended, that’s probably your rattle. Easy fix just push it out
Hmm, I'll check this out as well. Thanks for the tip!

Sorry @KzooGerti I didn't mean to jack your thread. 😬 Thank you for sharing a solution with the community!!