GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Participated in my first Autocross today

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
Just a few months ago I purchased this GTI to get back into a fun car and performance driving events (something I did with frequency between ‘05 and ‘09).

Just a few weeks ago I revisited track days (something I hadn’t done in ten years!) at Sebring.

Today I participated in my first autocross- A client of mine who frequents this event in his prepared Miata told me about the venue and he encouraged me to try it out!

I went ahead and enrolled in the Novice School and was very glad to do so with an open mind- ready to deprogram my road course state of mind. My immediate thoughts once we got started;
A) I have to imagine the “course” while deciphering what the cones are indicating.
B) Brake zones and turn in points are done so with a different approach. And
C) The advanced drivers are very smooth whilst the vehicle dynamics are violent compared to the road course!!

I was running on a set of 17” Kumho V720 and they did just fine.
IAT’s jumped to the mid 150’s after a few back to back runs (they never passed 115 at Sebring a few weeks ago thanks to the consistent air flow at higher speeds).

Later in the day I got to jump out of the GTi and go a bit in the prepared Miata on Hoosiers- now that was fun! That car is definitely in its element on the autocross course.

My biggest takeaway from today was the ability to explore the GTi’s limits without having to worry about going two or four off or hitting a wall!

Some pics.

Attachments

• DEF60B24-30A9-4E62-8A5D-B1ECA557A348.jpeg
    DEF60B24-30A9-4E62-8A5D-B1ECA557A348.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 152
  • 127AC8E3-BC06-489F-A621-61B946BCD6AA.jpeg
    127AC8E3-BC06-489F-A621-61B946BCD6AA.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 150

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
That's awesome, what did you do with the ESC?
I have not programmed anything out using the OBD connection. Just had S engaged with ASR button pushed once for OFF, transmission lever pushed to the side used in manual mode on the DSG. Whatever’s left for nannies is what it is and I’m not 100% clear as to what is still engaged.
I think the MK7.5 has different settings with greater ability to turn things off with the press of the button on the center console which used to need OBD connection programming.
I don’t feel too much intervention going on other than the lsd doing its job and the DSG overriding my inputs on occasion.

Edit: I just figured out that pushing and holding the ASR TC button down engages ESC Sport with limited intervention. Learned something new. Cars have too many nanny modes these days!

Last edited:

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
Got a Video of my first run up. That's how I started the day. Got smoother and quicker as the day went on but that was my baseline run!