GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Part number breakdown inquiry

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
So hopefully someone here can help me with something regarding part numbers. When looking at suffixes, what does "U" mean? In the example below the "X" means remanufactured, according to some places online.

5Q1 423 055 K - Steering rack
5Q1 423 055 KX - Same steering rack, remanufactured, purchased from VW

I'm specifically looking at MIB 2.5 main units, base part number 5NA 035 026... which has PR codes ER8 (edit, ER3) - Regional Code NAR Radio, and QU8 - Satellite Radio USA (SiriusXM)
5NA 035 026 - no suffix, currently the only thing showing on parts.vw.com
5NA 035 026 D - used to show on parts.vw.com (maybe a year ago)
5NA 035 026 E - also used to show on parts.vw.com (maybe 6-7 months ago, based on some scans the E the software number, Hardware showed 5NA 035 026 with no suffix

Now, there are several units with various suffixes (A, B, C, D, E) which I assume to be the progression of software. But there are are also suffixes AU, AX, BU and BX. If this is like the steering rack, the X means remanufactured. So then what does the U mean?

The X's are cheaper than their base suffix part number, but the U's are crazy cheap...
5NA 035 026 A - $2,172.05
5NA 035 026 AX - 1,275.01
5NA 035 026 AU - $350

Does VW sell as-is parts, to be used for parts?

Last edited:

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
So hopefully someone here can help me with something regarding part numbers. When looking at suffixes, what does "U" mean? In the example below the "X" means remanufactured, according to some places online.

5Q1 423 055 K - Steering rack
5Q1 423 055 KX - Same steering rack, remanufactured, purchased from VW

I'm specifically looking at MIB 2.5 main units, base part number 5NA 035 026... which has PR codes ER8 - Regional Code NAR Radio, and QU8 - Satellite Radio USA (SiriusXM)
5NA 035 026 - no suffix, currently the only thing showing on parts.vw.com
5NA 035 026 D - used to show on parts.vw.com (maybe a year ago)
5NA 035 026 E - also used to show on parts.vw.com (maybe 6-7 months ago, based on some scans the E the software number, Hardware showed 5NA 035 026 with no suffix

Now, there are several units with various suffixes (A, B, C, D, E) which I assume to be the progression of software. But there are are also suffixes AU, AX, BU and BX. If this is like the steering rack, the X means remanufactured. So then what does the U mean?

The X's are cheaper than their base suffix part number, but the U's are crazy cheap...
5NA 035 026 A - $2,172.05
5NA 035 026 AX - 1,275.01
5NA 035 026 AU - $350

Does VW sell as-is parts, to be used for parts?
Buy it and find out.

Real answer: it doesn't seem to exist within ETKA. Are you sure it's a real part?

X suffix usually means it's an exchange part btw.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I'm not sure... I just see it listed for real cheap, haha. @Nuje found a place that's discounting that $350 MSRP so I'm tempted to order one just to see what shows up. I reached out to a few places listing it to inquire on what the "U" means, and also to find out if the "X" means remanufactured (or maybe repaired) for this part.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
I'm not sure... I just see it listed for real cheap, haha. @Nuje found a place that's discounting that $350 MSRP so I'm tempted to order one just to see what shows up. I reached out to a few places listing it to inquire on what the "U" means, and also to find out if the "X" means remanufactured (or maybe repaired) for this part.
Listed where exactly?

See my edit above about X.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
This is from vwpartsvortex.com... it's a the online store for a dealer service center in New Jersey... I've ordered tons of stuff from them. They are listed on several other online storefronts for dealer service centers as well.

Snip 1.JPGSnip 2.JPG

I guess remanufactured (at least for a steering rack) could also be called exchange, with the dealer wanting a core in return. So VW is (apparently) listing MIB 2.5's for sale on exchange, which saves $400 over a new unit.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
This is from vwpartsvortex.com... it's a the online store for a dealer service center in New Jersey... I've ordered tons of stuff from them. They are listed on several other online storefronts for dealer service centers as well.

View attachment 205337View attachment 205338

I guess remanufactured (at least for a steering rack) could also be called exchange, with the dealer wanting a core in return. So VW is (apparently) listing MIB 2.5's for sale on exchange, which saves $400 over a new unit.
Not sure how they can be listing parts that don't seem to exist in the catalogue! Very odd!

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
'U' suffix is for the core 5NA 035 026 AU $350
PR-ER3 North America
PR-QU8 Satellite Radio
5NA035026C >> 26.11.2018
5NA035026D 11.26.18>> - 08.07.2019
5NA035026E 08.07.2019>>
I understand the PR Codes and the base part numbers. ER8 is a mistake in my first post, it's corrected now to ER3.
I already have MIB 2.5 in my car, I researched all this when I installed mine.

I am asking about the suffixes... Are you saying the AU means these vendors are selling cores? Meaning if I order 5NA 035 026 AU the part I will get will be an as-is part that was returned to VW as a core, that they elected not to repair?

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
core is the old part which when we send the part back to VWOA they issue us the dealer a credit for the given core amount. VWOA sends that part to the vendor to be remanufactured and they receive a credit from the supplier ie... Bosch, GKN, Siemens....
Must be some American terminology...

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
My car is a 2015 Mk7 TDI, haha. Came with MIB I, no nav. I'm not sure of the exact build date but late 2014 I believe. Right now I have a EU spec unit in my car. Had everything activated remotely, no issues with it. I was just out in the canyons this weekend and forgot to download some music/podcasts. So I got to thinking I want XM and decided to look up prices for an NAR spec unit. Saw all these part numbers. I used to only see 5NA 035 026 D and E for sale.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
no it's a internal pseudo core number tells us at Audi/VW the core value and not a part number for sale
Got it, makes sense as to why it's so cheap. All these places often show an item as "in stock" until you order it and they go to source it. So their site showing the part number for sale is really just a mistake with their (what I assume to be semi-automated) inventory system.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
So if I were to order 5NA 035 026 AX I would need to return a 5NA 035 026 A unit... Else I would owe the price for a new 5NA 035 026 A and need to pay that difference, correct?

And the 5NA 035 026 AU isn't really for sale. As I don't have a core of the same part number I would be ordering new anyway.
give me a part num and I get you avail
Sure... 5NA 035 026 D or E
If there is no major difference between the two I would prefer the D model, since the MSRP is over $500 less.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Pay them a visit... they have something that I want? If it's something good I'll go pick it up, has to be worth it, haha. It's only 60 miles but with traffic that'll be a 3 hour drive when I get off work.

Any reason I shouldn't get one of the fancy letter suffix ones (like the , I need the latest/greatest for my old car.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I hit post before I finished that. My thought was that since none of the units are really compatible with my car I would save the $500-ish and buy the -D suffix'ed part number. I don't know why it's cheaper than the rest but this will be the second MIB 2.5 I've bought so savings are welcomed.