GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Parking brake when off by itself

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Missed that! Sorry. I just read “New posts” somewhat obsessively.

It strikes me that if you’re really upset about this, perhaps you could retrofit the manual ratcheted handbrake. Expensive and ridiculous though.

I think this sort of safety issue is completely inexcusable.
I like the EPB except this very occasional problem on startup.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
It strikes me that if you’re really upset about this, perhaps you could retrofit the manual ratcheted handbrake. Expensive and ridiculous though.

I think this sort of safety issue is completely inexcusable.

Impossible as the car was designed to have the electronic "hand brake" from the factory...so "going backwards" would cause all sorts of insurance cover problems even if you could state that the car is sold with a manual hand brake in NAR & used & fitted as per their version...

Personally I've never had this "fault" happen...,,but I've always started the car with feet pressing both the clutch & brake pedals down.....I always start all my cars with foot on clutch as there is less strain on the engine....& I always have a foot on the brake pedal to make 100% the car isn't going anywhere....this also makes certain that the cars EPB module senses that the brake pedal has been "freshly applied"...therefore it tells the autohold function to keep the brake fluid at the "on pressure" that you have just applied..even if the EPB is "off" which is how I leave my car in the garage (EPB off & car in 1st)

Jgilber0

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
‘21 GTI S 6MT
Impossible as the car was designed to have the electronic "hand brake" from the factory...so "going backwards" would cause all sorts of insurance cover problems even if you could state that the car is sold with a manual hand brake in NAR & used & fitted as per their version...

Personally I've never had this "fault" happen...,,but I've always started the car with feet pressing both the clutch & brake pedals down.....I always start all my cars with foot on clutch as there is less strain on the engine....& I always have a foot on the brake pedal to make 100% the car isn't going anywhere....this also makes certain that the cars EPB module senses that the brake pedal has been "freshly applied"...therefore it tells the autohold function to keep the brake fluid at the "on pressure" that you have just applied..even if the EPB is "off" which is how I leave my car in the garage (EPB off & car in 1st)
That’s interesting. In the US there is a mandated clutch interlock that requires the clutch to be depressed in order to start the car.

As for EPB, I’ve never seen one on a manual car. I like the fact that our US manually-operated setup is so simple.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
That’s interesting. In the US there is a mandated clutch interlock that requires the clutch to be depressed in order to start the car.

As for EPB, I’ve never seen one on a manual car. I like the fact that our US manually-operated setup is so simple.

EPBs have been on manual cars here in UK & Europe for years..MK7 Golf since launch in 2013......& VW first introduced it in 2011 on the Passat...

& there is a clutch interlock (via clutch position sender plunger switch behind clutch pedal) as standard on all EPBs...its part of the design..

ricardosoa

Car(s)
GOLF GTI MK 7.5
I started the car up this morning as I took my foot of the clutch my parking brake disengaged without me touching gas or brake lucky I heard it disingaging or could of been a accident
Hello guys. I’m needing a favor:
I’ve done a retrofit from manual handbrake to electronic handbrake. But there is one function that I couldn’t to do. When I turn on the car and step the accelerator the electronic button brake doesn’t turn off. My car is a golf GTI Mk7.5 2018. Is it possible you send me some admap of ABS to I can compare with mine?
Thanks a ton
Ricardo Soares

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Hello guys. I’m needing a favor:
I’ve done a retrofit from manual handbrake to electronic handbrake. But there is one function that I couldn’t to do. When I turn on the car and step the accelerator the electronic button brake doesn’t turn off. My car is a golf GTI Mk7.5 2018. Is it possible you send me some admap of ABS to I can compare with mine?
Thanks a ton
Ricardo Soares

It will only undo the electric handbrake via the accelerator pedal if the drivers seatbelt is connected....its a safety feature...only other way is to press & hold the button down to deactivate it if you don't have the seatbelt on...

ricardosoa

Car(s)
GOLF GTI MK 7.5
It will only undo the electric handbrake via the accelerator pedal if the drivers seatbelt is connected....its a safety feature...only other way is to press & hold the button down to deactivate it if you don't have the seatbelt on...
Thanks for answer. That’s my problem. The seatbelt is connected but electric handbrake don’t undo. I have to press button for undo handbrake. Normally cars that have electric handbrake have is function automatically

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Thanks for answer. That’s my problem. The seatbelt is connected but electric handbrake don’t undo. I have to press button for undo handbrake. Normally cars that have electric handbrake have is function automatically

I only have a MK7..so my ABS module coding may be different.....I think you need to look in adaptions section of the ABS module for a coding line that looks for driver confirmation i.e driver door, or seat etc...& set that as active..

ricardosoa

Car(s)
GOLF GTI MK 7.5
I only have a MK7..so my ABS module coding may be different.....I think you need to look in adaptions section of the ABS module for a coding line that looks for driver confirmation i.e driver door, or seat etc...& set that as active..
Exactly my friend. There are many differences among mk7 and mk7.5. I see that, because my friend have a mk7. So indeed I need ABS coding for GTI mk7.5. I will appreciate a ton if some guy send me it, please. My email is: ricardosoa@gmail.com.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Was given a Jetta loaner car from the dealer that had the electronic parking brake. When I pulled away from the dealership I was going about 10 MPH and pushed what I thought was the auto start/stop button in the same location as my GTI. It was the brake and it sure stops the car fast from 10 MPH fast. 😂

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Was given a Jetta loaner car from the dealer that had the electronic parking brake. When I pulled away from the dealership I was going about 10 MPH and pushed what I thought was the auto start/stop button in the same location as my GTI. It was the brake and it sure stops the car fast from 10 MPH fast. 😂

It can be used in an emergency. I know of people who have intentionally used it from about 50-60mph!!..:oops: