GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Parking brake when off by itself

ChrisB2kGolf

Car(s)
Golf S MK7.5
Hello as iwmtom I had this for two years and complained and complained and then complained some more it’s all still logged with Vw. When I spoke to one guy. I said you can’t get out your car with engine and handbrake applied as it could potentially come off and they just shrugged it off. I told on the local school run there is children walking in front and behind my car and could potentially hurt someone . My little girl one day was in front of the car when it released it self just after I started it so it’s very serious but 2 years and around 8 dealership visits and no joy . Mine when off when only lifting off the clutch when starting the car and the advice was don’t use the clutch when staring the car which I then pointed out the car won’t start without the clutch engaged . In the end I got used to it and always kept my foot on the brake. But it’s a serious defect
Hi Mikey,

Sorry I've just seen this! So first off, sorry for not getting back sooner.

Sorry to hear the length you've gone through with this car, I have not had such a negative impact due to the defect but it does worry me a lot, and I too keep my foot on the brake as much as possible. I am still going to chase the dealership on this and see what is said as I like you and IWMTom, I don't believe this is standard functionality as they said to Tom and I don't think they should just be allowed to shrug this off.

I'll keep this post updated as I get on but I am very busy over the next week or so, and so I might not have an update for a while.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Hi Mikey,

Sorry I've just seen this! So first off, sorry for not getting back sooner.

Sorry to hear the length you've gone through with this car, I have not had such a negative impact due to the defect but it does worry me a lot, and I too keep my foot on the brake as much as possible. I am still going to chase the dealership on this and see what is said as I like you and IWMTom, I don't believe this is standard functionality as they said to Tom and I don't think they should just be allowed to shrug this off.

I'll keep this post updated as I get on but I am very busy over the next week or so, and so I might not have an update for a while.
I wish you the best of luck! Please do keep us updated :)

Wooders28

Car(s)
Golf
Just been directed to this thread off the main page, as I've the same issue.

I've almost run over the Mrs carrying our baby, I've almost hit a parked car in the supermarket, and the Mrs has hit her car!!

So, tough titty deal with it, is VW's official answer?...😡

sunnydays123

Car(s)
Golf MK7
Reviving an old thread but I've also been directed here with the same issue - it's been in the dealership once, 'no fault codes', then I found this thread and was able to replicate it (press on accelerator in neutral) which works. But the issue is the unpredictability of it when you start the car...
Is it worth me fighting or just accepting this is the way it is? I've only had the car a year and was hoping to have it a lot longer!

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Reviving an old thread but I've also been directed here with the same issue - it's been in the dealership once, 'no fault codes', then I found this thread and was able to replicate it (press on accelerator in neutral) which works. But the issue is the unpredictability of it when you start the car...
Is it worth me fighting or just accepting this is the way it is? I've only had the car a year and was hoping to have it a lot longer!
You can try and challenge VWUK but frankly it's more effort than it's worth. It won't get fixed.

sunnydays123

Car(s)
Golf MK7
You can try and challenge VWUK but frankly it's more effort than it's worth. It won't get fixed.
Thanks. So what did you do in the end? Accept it and just make sure you keep your foot on the brake when you start the engine (which is what I'm doing now)? If I'm in the driver's seat, it's just an inconvenience. But if I'm out of the car for example de-icing, then it's a bigger concern. And it's happened with my belt off and a door open, so theoretically it could happen in a situation where I'm not in the car.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Thanks. So what did you do in the end? Accept it and just make sure you keep your foot on the brake when you start the engine (which is what I'm doing now)? If I'm in the driver's seat, it's just an inconvenience. But if I'm out of the car for example de-icing, then it's a bigger concern. And it's happened with my belt off and a door open, so theoretically it could happen in a situation where I'm not in the car.
VW settled out of court. The car continues to have a problem, but I have documentation from them that states there is not a fault and it "is the state of series production" so it's their liability if a future owner has an issue with it.

It should only cause a problem on first start up if your revs go beyond the release threshold momentarily.

lightbody

Car(s)
2017 Golf GTI mk7.5
Parking brake is designed to automatically disengage if you drive backwards or backwards. I rarely actually push the button to turn it off because of this

lightbody

Car(s)
2017 Golf GTI mk7.5
That's not what anyone is talking about here.
I apologise. I've now caught up and read the full topic.

To me, the electronic handbrake, as with keyless entry, is the answer to a problem that nobody had, and just adds another thing to go wrong, as has happened here with what appears to be badly written software, as you say earlier. I've got used to it, but I'd still rather have an normal handbrake.

Jgilber0

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
‘21 GTI S 6MT
Does this affect USA MK7.5 6-speed manuals with a simple ratcheting handbrakes? It looks like everyone on this thread is in the UK.

UK manual transmission cars have wholly electronic parking brakes. Is that correct?

Or can the ratcheted manual handbrake disengage somehow?

Thank you

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Does this affect USA MK7.5 6-speed manuals with a simple ratcheting handbrakes? It looks like everyone on this thread is in the UK.

UK manual transmission cars have wholly electronic parking brakes. Is that correct?

Or can the ratcheted manual handbrake disengage somehow?

Thank you
This only affects the EPB.

This thread is in the UK section ;P

Jgilber0

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
‘21 GTI S 6MT
This only affects the EPB.

This thread is in the UK section ;P
Missed that! Sorry. I just read “New posts” somewhat obsessively.

It strikes me that if you’re really upset about this, perhaps you could retrofit the manual ratcheted handbrake. Expensive and ridiculous though.

I think this sort of safety issue is completely inexcusable.