GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Parking Assist

dickt

Ready to race!
As this was a cheapish option in the UK, I went for it. I use it regularly and it is a hoot. It makes me smile every time I use it.
It is unbelievably accurate. I used it this pm to park in a smallish spot in Marlow High Street. It was completely accurate on the cars front and rear, and, importantly with flashy alloys, on the kerb.
It is great. Everyone should get it to help them smile.

RedTSI

Passed Driver's Ed
I have it. Thought it would just be a toy/gimmick, but actually it's easy to get used to and the precision is amazing, both wheels end up precisely the same distance from the kerb. (Though I have parked in one space where the distance from curb to white line was the same as the car width without mirrors, in that case I had to manually get closer to the kerb.)

I'm sceptical that people (who have mastered using it) can park faster manually, unless it's in a situation where they can make fewer manoeuvres. (For bay parking it seems to like to have two goes at positioning itself when I would go straight in. Also, I'm not sure that it's a good idea to reverse park if you are going to be loading shopping in the back.) For proper parallel parking where it can't be done in fewer manoeuvres manually, I'd say the park assist must get you in fractionally faster, as I certainly don't spin the steering wheel as fast as it does.

Although I haven't been in any tight parallel spaces, I have used the driving out function, and that's been a bit hazardous for me. A few times I've seized the steering wheel and yanked it to the side as it appeared I was going to clip the corner of the car in front as I exited. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. (In all these cases I could have exited perfectly easily on my own, just wanted to enjoy the gimmick of the car steering for me.)

Last edited:

Ian91

Ready to race!
I believe the new park assist system does bay parking, as we park our car in a garage which is quite a tight space, can the system be used to park in a garage? I know you can use the parking sensors for judging distance etc but it would be very useful if it is possible. It may well be you have to be at a right angle to the garage which in our case would not be possible.

RedTSI

Passed Driver's Ed
No it doesn't help with parking in a garage unfortunately.

Neither does park pilot help much, that tells you how many feet away you are from obstacles, for squeezing through my garage door i need something that distiguishes between different numbers of inches.

Sootchucker

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI (2018)
I have park assist on my GTD as well, and combined with the standard parking sensors and rear view camera, it make parking in pretty much any situation a hoot ! Like others, I remain amazed how accurate the system is.

TBH, the wife is much better at parallel parking than I am and even she is impressed.

dasilva94

I have it and think it's a bit of a gimmiick.

The real heal from pranging your car are the the optical/acoustic parking sensors all round.

JAT

Ready to race!
I have it on my GT, and in the last year or so I could count on the fingers of one hand using it to actually park the car.
I find it far more useful for getting out of tight spots when you get a couple of "eejits" who park too close front and rear.:mad:
It's surprising how many don't realise it's not just for parking ;)

I have park assist but although I find it great for parking I've never understood the getting out of a tight spot part, went back to dealership they couldn't explain either, would be grateful if you could take me through the stages. Thanks in anticipation:):):)

Essjay

Ready to race!
Hi Jat, if you look in the manual under the "Park Assist" section there is a description at the end of the section detailing how to use it to exit a parking space.
In my manual it's on page 226. It explains it much better than I could.

Edit: The only thing I would add is that if you use Auto Hold then I would turn it off whilst using Park Assist. It's not mentioned in the manual, but believe me it's better with it off.

Last edited:

JAT

Ready to race!
Hi Jat, if you look in the manual under the "Park Assist" section there is a description at the end of the section detailing how to use it to exit a parking space.
In my manual it's on page 226. It explains it much better than I could.

Edit: The only thing I would add is that if you use Auto Hold then I would turn it off whilst using Park Assist. It's not mentioned in the manual, but believe me it's better with it off.

Hi, tried this afternoon works a treat, many thanks for your help.

mcmaddy

Ready to race!
No it doesn't help with parking in a garage unfortunately.

Neither does park pilot help much, that tells you how many feet away you are from obstacles, for squeezing through my garage door i need something that distiguishes between different numbers of inches.
It depends how far from the kerb or how far you drive past the garage. It works if it's within the set parameters as a guy round the corner uses it to reverse into his garage.