GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Panoramic roof leak

Moke

Car(s)
Golf Estate GT
Hi,
Can anyone give some advice on leaking panoramic roofs? I have a 2016 Golf estate with a panoramic roof. It first started leaking when the car was two years old and still in warranty. When I took it back to VW they said the drain pipes were block and charge me £250 to unblock, they also said it would be another £1200 to strip out the interior to dry out, as it was soaked through. They said none of this was covered by the warranty. I paid the £250 for the service and just lived with a smelly wet car for a few months until it dried out naturally. Six months later water started coming in again so I took it back to VW. This time they said there had been a TSB on Panoramic roofs and they fixed it for no charge, I don't know what they did. 18 months on and the leaks have started again, this time VW have said the roof cassette is cracked and needs to be replaced at a cost of £2,750! There is also a separate leak in the boot which they are charging another £350 to fix. This seems an extortionate amount of money to fix something that has been a long term problem. Although out of warranty now it started when it was in warranty.
I called a local independent VW service garage for a second opinion and they said there was a design flaw with the panoramic roofs across the VAG range and they don't touch them!
As its quite a technical bit of kit, I really don't want to touch it myself. Am I stuck with paying the main dealer £2,750 to fix it, seems like a rip off for something wasn't designed properly in the first place.
Has anyone had any similar experience with panoramic roofs?
Cheers

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Hi,
Can anyone give some advice on leaking panoramic roofs? I have a 2016 Golf estate with a panoramic roof. It first started leaking when the car was two years old and still in warranty. When I took it back to VW they said the drain pipes were block and charge me £250 to unblock, they also said it would be another £1200 to strip out the interior to dry out, as it was soaked through. They said none of this was covered by the warranty. I paid the £250 for the service and just lived with a smelly wet car for a few months until it dried out naturally. Six months later water started coming in again so I took it back to VW. This time they said there had been a TSB on Panoramic roofs and they fixed it for no charge, I don't know what they did. 18 months on and the leaks have started again, this time VW have said the roof cassette is cracked and needs to be replaced at a cost of £2,750! There is also a separate leak in the boot which they are charging another £350 to fix. This seems an extortionate amount of money to fix something that has been a long term problem. Although out of warranty now it started when it was in warranty.
I called a local independent VW service garage for a second opinion and they said there was a design flaw with the panoramic roofs across the VAG range and they don't touch them!
As its quite a technical bit of kit, I really don't want to touch it myself. Am I stuck with paying the main dealer £2,750 to fix it, seems like a rip off for something wasn't designed properly in the first place.
Has anyone had any similar experience with panoramic roofs?
Cheers

You’ve got different laws in the UK so I can’t say how much power you have over the situation, but in America anyone with this issue would be pretty safe contacting VW Customer Care and opening a case, requesting warrantied, or AT LEAST partial warranty coverage of the work required based on your past experience with the issues.

Explicitly reference the documentation from when you brought the car into the dealer originally for the issue after 2 years of ownership. Build the case around the fact you brought this in under warranty previously - were denied warranty coverage - then brought it in again and were granted coverage. The fact VW has ALREADY performed work on the vehicle under warranty opens up the possibility the repair work had caused another issue that lead to the subsequent leak post-warranty.

VW corporate will likely work with you on it.

Good luck

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
You can also post on more UK-centric forums, or in the UK sub forum on this one, seeking recommendations on VW dealers that took good care of other people who were in your situation. They’d likely be better to deal with than these clowns who have already had a rocky road taking care of you with an issue that is a design flaw.

Jomps

Car(s)
Gtd estate
I've just had my car in for a leaking pan roof .what a carry on !
Tried to charge me a fortune saying the sunroof seal had perished and seals weren't covered under warranty. Ended up paying about £700 towards the repairs just to get my car back they had it 5 weeks . Ended up changing both inner and outer seals and the sunroof frame which I suspect was cracked in the first place .

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion
VW issued a TSB on leaking sunroofs covering 2015, 2016 and 2017 Golfs and I've attached it. It's a North American document and I don't think it covers your Estate, but it might be of help and there might be an alternate British TSB that covers your model.

Attachments

• VW Technical Bulletin on Sunroof Leak Repair MC-10125582-9999.pdf
    602.9 KB · Views: 486