GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Painting Exhaust tips successfully

TheBlondeFella

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 Golf R
Has anyone out there successfully painted their exhaust tips so they didn't flake a actually lasted?

Painted the 4 chrome tips on my R about 2 months ago and the paint from 2 of the tips has flaked off really badly. I thought I did as good a job as can be done with the chrome and used what looked like to be a good high temperature paint.

I've now got 2 options;
1 have them ceramic coated in matt black but I've been quoted almost £200 for that which is crazy money
2 have the chrome stripped professionally and then use high temp primer and paint again in gloss black which will work out at around £100

I'm happy to try them again myself outdent want to waste another £100 if the paint will flake off anyway

TheBlondeFella

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 Golf R
A buddy had his tips powder coated and it came off on his first track day and power coating is only good to about 200C

Last edited:

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
Burger Motorsports has tips in black you bolt on. No need to worry about flaking, can resale later. I have the V1 clip on version in metallic black.

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Cerakote perhaps?

TheBlondeFella

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 Golf R
Holy crap thats $280 for the R!!!!!

Forgot to mention I posted on the wrong exhaust forum. 🙃

Last edited:

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
yes.. i did satin under, with 2k clear coat gloss on top.. and no, it hasnt melted off yet..