GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Paint worn under cargo floor 27k GTI

Michael gti07

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Rabbit, Cornflower B
Anybody without a carpet liner in back should check the area under the trunk "floor".

Finally decided to soundproof my cargo/trunk area in my 2019 Rabbit, ~27k miles.
Found some disturbing paint wear. VW has not equipped the Rabbit with a trunk liner for the spare to sit on, so the cargo floor ?board/bottom? is just sliding on the paint.
It actually wore through the paint in a couple of spots.
Now I have to put some clear coat over the bare metal before I install the Dynamat strips across the bottom of the area, & under the spare.
Anybody else?

I'm not buying the trunk liner, as I really want the soundproofing layer instead. I probably won't put those silly economy size pads back on either
(Although I love having the trunk/cargo area that spectacular blue, sadly, it will be covered.)

Thanks,
Michael

Attachments

• 20210428_175244[1].jpg
    20210428_175244[1].jpg
    5 MB · Views: 76

Ghost GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'19 GTI SE DSG
Not trying to be rude, genuinely curious, but why does it matter? Those areas are not exposed to weather and they are never clear coated to begin with.

Last edited:

Michael gti07

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Rabbit, Cornflower B
No worries,
Well, it may not be worn thru the nickel, but it's annoying for there to be bare metal.
I'll spot clearcoat (no need to open the oem paint repair pen) for corrosion resistance, and lay the rest of the dynamat this weekend.
I'm trying to catch every little bit of damage and whatnot to keep the car in good shape as long as possible.
I average over 10 years and over 150k on my cars.