GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Paint Protection... Has anyone got it done?

SharmaGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey guys,
Was thinking of getting paint protection treatment done to my car..
Been asking around a few places and all of them quoted roughly the same price.. At Around AED 3k (USD800 aprox.)
I have shortlisted a couple of detailers below

1. Wrapstyle (adv. Will lower his price for sure as i get most of my wraps from them.. Uses swiss vax)
2. Prodent - gtechniq

The other one was car care-3m.. Done in a mall :p (burjuman) so i skipped on them

Did any of you get this treatment done to your golfs and by whom??

Would appreciate your input/advice

Happy golfing!

MS :)

dasGTI2

Hey,
I got my car 3 weeks ago and ive been thinking about getting some treatment done too.
I was considering Ziebart as its something that my brother has gone with on his 3 previous cars.
They have something called Diamond Gloss protection. I dont know much about it or how effective it is. They quote around 1.2 - 1.5k for a Golf. Its something you could look into.

BlueBullet

Ready to race!
I've had supaguard done on my mk6 gti inside and out and I'm having it done on my mk7 R.

It's up to you really, I'm not going to advise on the subject. Just mention I've had it done and going to again, after this time I'm unsure if will bother.

Hensonman

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi. I haven't had paint protection done and I don't intend to. I'm using middle of the range shampoo, wax and polish to do the job, myself. But I'm in wet and unsunny UK. I suspect dry, very hot, high UV Dubai will affect paint differently.

SharmaGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Thank you all for your input..
The only thing that caught my concern and lead to thonkign of getting paint protection was that the cleaners who clean my car use a dirty rag /water to clean (thats how it is in dubai.. Got cleaners in every building.. Makes me look like a brat!) and the car is for most of the day parked in the sun.. And being in dubai it does get sand blasted on a daily basis...
Started to get swirls on the paint as well...
Will do some more research and will look into your recommendations as well...

Sbear

Interesting topic, what is the benefit of paint protection?

Is it more for the weather? or the sand? and does it cause less swirls?

Might help as I am deciding between white and black and these are some questions I had.

sanaveed90

Passed Driver's Ed
Thank you all for your input..
The only thing that caught my concern and lead to thonkign of getting paint protection was that the cleaners who clean my car use a dirty rag /water to clean (thats how it is in dubai.. Got cleaners in every building.. Makes me look like a brat!) and the car is for most of the day parked in the sun.. And being in dubai it does get sand blasted on a daily basis...
Started to get swirls on the paint as well...
Will do some more research and will look into your recommendations as well...

What color is your car?
I am planning to do as well, but haven't made up my mind. Majority of the time my car is parked in shade.
So I am thinking if its really necessary.
My GTI is black btw so I am really hoping I dont get those swirls as well.
Its funny because my dad's Dodge is almost 7 years old and is parked in the sun at Al Quoz for the greater part of the morning and afternoon and the paint is as good as new.

SharmaGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Interesting topic, what is the benefit of paint protection?

Is it more for the weather? or the sand? and does it cause less swirls?

Might help as I am deciding between white and black and these are some questions I had.

The benefit of paint protection as to what i was told by the guys at wrap style was, in dubai our cars do get sandblasted everyday and the fine sand patricles slowly starting chipping the paint work on your car.. And the sun helps in fading the color of your car over the years.. I am thinking about it cause i have spotted some nasty swirls on my car (5months old)...

Ill try posting up some pics up..

I think i will get it done this weekend...

SharmaGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
What color is your car?
I am planning to do as well, but haven't made up my mind. Majority of the time my car is parked in shade.
So I am thinking if its really necessary.
My GTI is black btw so I am really hoping I dont get those swirls as well.
Its funny because my dad's Dodge is almost 7 years old and is parked in the sun at Al Quoz for the greater part of the morning and afternoon and the paint is as good as new.

White!

At work we dont have a shaded parking... We did for a bit after the wind blew it away (crazy storm of 2014.. Never forget :p) plus construction is going on all over the place and a massive sand patch right next to the car park.. So not ideal for the car... Plus the guy at work uses a dirty rag as well to clean my car..

I think i might take the plunge and get it done this weekend

UlfB

Advice

Hi Guys (and Gals),

I've been watching these forums for a while, and only just got around to registering.

I'm hopefully taking delivery of my new GTI today, replaces my old mk5, and was wondering what advice you all have on getting the car cleaned.

I live in an apartment complex so can't really do it myself, otherwise that would have been my first choice. Are there any self service car washes in Dubai? Alternatively are there any car washes you would personally recommend.

Not entirely happy taking the new car to the regular eppco stations.

Thanks.

SharmaGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi Guys (and Gals),

I've been watching these forums for a while, and only just got around to registering.

I'm hopefully taking delivery of my new GTI today, replaces my old mk5, and was wondering what advice you all have on getting the car cleaned.

I live in an apartment complex so can't really do it myself, otherwise that would have been my first choice. Are there any self service car washes in Dubai? Alternatively are there any car washes you would personally recommend.

Thanks.

Hey,

Congratulations and welcome.

Well , as I am aware of the situation here in Dubai (do correct me if I am wrong) we are stuck with the silly petrol stations and their dirty rag techniques.

I have recently picked up on detailing which I do over weekends at my friends garage (live in an apartment to ).. using basic armor all products for wheels, turtle wax chrome polish, meguires wax, quick detailer and clay for the body. (bought from ACE and Yellow hat)

I am going to try out paint protection on my car to as mentioned previously. Have been a bit caught up with work so couldn't get around in getting it done. Will be flying to the UK this week so might drop it by. Pro dent and wrap style are the ones I would recommend after a bit of research but be aware it does cost quite a lot.

And if anyone else know any self service car washes in Dubai, please let me know to! :p

Regards,
MS

mukuljuria

Ready to race!
Hi Guys (and Gals),

Thanks.

Hey, congrats on the new car.

I started washing my car at these "service stations" and car washes such as BP in Jumeirah 1(the only one i like honestly), near Le Marche and the ENOC or EMARAT near my house. But after the first month i stopped because of the swirl marks and cheap and quick cleaning that they offer. Water spots and water runoff as soon as you drive off. The BP charges a ridiculous Aed 45 now.
There is also a Mobil 1 in karama, just opposite zabeel park which does a decent job for Aed 25.
But, all of them use the cheap cloths to wipe the cars and glass which leaves streaks that are visible and obstruct the view out the windshield as soon as a little humidity strikes (almost everyday now).

Gave up and started washing it myself at home after i detailed it myself. Got most of the swirl marks off as they weren't too deep yet and not too many either. Now a weekly wash is good enough, water beading due to the detailing and wax and i invested in tire cleaning products, brushes, multiple micro fiber cloths and chamois leather cloths(best to get water off) and an air blower to get water out of the hard to reach places. :p

So, all i'm saying is, avoid eppco/enoc as they are the worst in my opinion.

Give car wash only places a try(such as BP). Get ready for a massive line at BP though. They have a nice system where you drive up, open the engine and they blow out all sand and give the engine cover and top bits a nice wipe down, drive further and get sprayed with water, then soap and then water. As its Jumeirah, all this is done sitting in the car as you slowly drive further after each step. But, be warned, they also use cheap cloths, but BP blow drys most of the car before the wipe down and once you get friendly with the staff you get good treatment such as Windex/Mr muscle spray cleaning for the windows and windshield etc. The clean the interior really well though.

I would also like to know if any self service places exist.

mukuljuria

Ready to race!
Hey,

Congratulations and welcome.

Well , as I am aware of the situation here in Dubai (do correct me if I am wrong) we are stuck with the silly petrol stations and their dirty rag techniques.

I have recently picked up on detailing which I do over weekends at my friends garage (live in an apartment to ).. using basic armor all products for wheels, turtle wax chrome polish, meguires wax, quick detailer and clay for the body. (bought from ACE and Yellow hat)

I am going to try out paint protection on my car to as mentioned previously. Have been a bit caught up with work so couldn't get around in getting it done. Will be flying to the UK this week so might drop it by. Pro dent and wrap style are the ones I would recommend after a bit of research but be aware it does cost quite a lot.

And if anyone else know any self service car washes in Dubai, please let me know to! :p

Regards,
MS

Hey man, i bought the Armor All shield as a first try for detailing and was quite happy. Would like to know how meguairs products are and which ones did you get? I really want to try them but they have a huge variety, was considering the NXT once im done with the armor all but really confused as to what to buy.

Armor all products are way cheaper at Union Coop than yellow hat from my experience (especially if you use them a lot, saves you some money in the long run :p)

Also, if you do get paint protection, the clay bar will be rendered useless so i think thats 200dhs gone to waste :p But good that you made use of it for now. Dont do it too often though, maybe once in a few months (when the dirt and grime and tar accumulates).

I wont be getting the clay bar as I get my car professionaly detailed once a year for roughly the same price as a clay bar :p

Thanks man :D

SharmaGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey man, i bought the Armor All shield as a first try for detailing and was quite happy. Would like to know how meguairs products are and which ones did you get? I really want to try them but they have a huge variety, was considering the NXT once im done with the armor all but really confused as to what to buy.

Armor all products are way cheaper at Union Coop than yellow hat from my experience (especially if you use them a lot, saves you some money in the long run :p)

Also, if you do get paint protection, the clay bar will be rendered useless so i think thats 200dhs gone to waste :p But good that you made use of it for now. Dont do it too often though, maybe once in a few months (when the dirt and grime and tar accumulates).

I wont be getting the clay bar as I get my car professionaly detailed once a year for roughly the same price as a clay bar :p

Thanks man :D

Hey mate..
Meguairs clay wax kit from ACE. I forgot what it was called but will give you full details of it as soon as I get back to dubai.. it was pretty easy to apply and remove and left a nice shine till it started to bloody rain... :p so pretty happy with the product.. not so with the weather...
Bought a wheel cleaner as well (meguairs all wheelcleaner) to but was advised not to use it as it might ruin the finish of the wheels.. So just used car soap to clean it up with a wheel brush.. used some armour all tyre shine to finish it up !

Thanks for the uni cop advise :) will check them out

I love washing my car.. you get to know so much about the car ..