GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Paint correction on Urano Grey....any advice?

mindonmatter

Ready to race!
Hey guys,
I plan to do a paint correction and ceramic coating in the near future. This color is beautiful, but shows every imperfection.

My car came from the dealer with some pre-installed stains and swirls in the clear coat. Looks like a couple of bird dropping stains and some hard water stains. Also, a cat jumped on my hood and left a couple light scratches when he slid off due to my fresh waxing.

I have orange, black and red foam pads. And a bottle of Griot's Fast correcting cream. That was a good one-step product on my old car, but have a feeling it may leave the Urano hazy.

I've never worked with VW paint so any advice is much appreciated. Any Urano Grey specific advice would be awesome.

Thanks!

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
Hey guys,
I plan to do a paint correction and ceramic coating in the near future. This color is beautiful, but shows every imperfection.

My car came from the dealer with some pre-installed stains and swirls in the clear coat. Looks like a couple of bird dropping stains and some hard water stains. Also, a cat jumped on my hood and left a couple light scratches when he slid off due to my fresh waxing.

I have orange, black and red foam pads. And a bottle of Griot's Fast correcting cream. That was a good one-step product on my old car, but have a feeling it may leave the Urano hazy.

I've never worked with VW paint so any advice is much appreciated. Any Urano Grey specific advice would be awesome.

Thanks!

I can't help you with the color but for my black Golf I had to step up to a yellow pad from orange and M105 from M205 to get the swirls out of my clear coat. The yellow pad did leave a slight haze however that was easily removed by using a white pad and M205 afterwards. I thought VW paint is meant to be soft but the orange pad was definitely not "cutting it" for me lol. That being said I would try the least aggressive approach first the swirls on my car were pretty bad.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
I can't help you with the color but for my black Golf I had to step up to a yellow pad from orange and M105 from M205 to get the swirls out of my clear coat. The yellow pad did leave a slight haze however that was easily removed by using a white pad and M205 afterwards. I thought VW paint is meant to be soft but the orange pad was definitely not "cutting it" for me lol. That being said I would try the least aggressive approach first the swirls on my car were pretty bad.

Some colors are just harder than others. My wife's Pure White is a bear.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Get ready for pure hell! lol

I had the EXACT same scenario when I took delivery of the car it was covered in stains in the paint and the dealer did a shit job of cleaning it and swirled it up, I ended up taking it to the dealer 3 times after that, 2 of them where they tried to have the internal detail team fix it and a 3rd where they has to pay a outside company to fix it.... they go the stains out which was good but used a filler glaze to hide the micro swirls. I have been battling with the paint since, cause like you said it shows everything! even after doing a 3 stage and top quality microfiber towels its still susceptible to scratches during the final wipe.

i have cut and buff many cars even to the level of wet sanding a black car to cut the peel off and never had I dealt with such nightmare paint (have a PGM GLI also and its fine)

Went through trying all pads (6-7) from Chemical guys and used all 4 levels of their cutting and polishing compounds and none of them could get the paint to the level I expected. then i stumbled on this product .https://tldproducts.com/ and holy shit its amazing check out their Instagram for many vids and reviews, just using the product with a medium polishing pad (minor cut)single stage did a better job than the chemical guys products in a 3 stage process. if the product you try doesn't get to the level you expect i would suggest to try this out.

zimmie2652

Ready to race!
FWIW, It is literally impossible to haze with FCC. Hit that sucker with a medium grit pad and the FCC and admire.

fprintf

Yes, I have a Urano Grey and it maddeningly came from the dealer with preinstalled scratching and a huge hazy area on the hood. I corrected it over an entire Saturday evening using an orange lake country pad and Meguiar's M205, though at times I really wished I'd had M105 on hand.

I put Collinite on it, and a week later I went to do another wash and noticed I introduced more scratches from the washing/drying process, something I haven't had a problem with since taking up this little autodetailing hobby (and my last two cars, an Acura and Mazda show no scratching at all). This paint is crazy soft and the non-metallic flatness of the paint just shows everything.

At this point I'm resigned to keeping the car dirty, washing it and not worrying about the flaws and doing a correction once or twice a year. A correction takes a few microns of clear coat off and I don't have the machine that tells paint thickness, so I worry that my obsessiveness with a scratch-free finish will wear away the clear coat... but obviously I'm not worried enough to pay for paint protection film or anything!

mindonmatter

Ready to race!
Good stuff guys. I appreciate the info. Not looking forward to this correction based on what I've read so far.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Yes, I have a Urano Grey and it maddeningly came from the dealer with preinstalled scratching and a huge hazy area on the hood. I corrected it over an entire Saturday evening using an orange lake country pad and Meguiar's M205, though at times I really wished I'd had M105 on hand.

I put Collinite on it, and a week later I went to do another wash and noticed I introduced more scratches from the washing/drying process, something I haven't had a problem with since taking up this little autodetailing hobby (and my last two cars, an Acura and Mazda show no scratching at all). This paint is crazy soft and the non-metallic flatness of the paint just shows everything.

At this point I'm resigned to keeping the car dirty, washing it and not worrying about the flaws and doing a correction once or twice a year. A correction takes a few microns of clear coat off and I don't have the machine that tells paint thickness, so I worry that my obsessiveness with a scratch-free finish will wear away the clear coat... but obviously I'm not worried enough to pay for paint protection film or anything!

good too see I'm not just loosing my mind! I'm literally scratching this thing when I remove the polishing compound.