GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Paint Color Names

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
Many a times, I just don't understand some of the color names out there. Heck, isn't Red for the GTI called Tornado Red or something? I don't know about you but I've never seen a Red tornado. They could of gone with Blood Red, Red Apples Red, or Firehouse Red. I don't know, just saying.

How about for black, ABYSS BLACK ? The Abyss is pretty damn dark.

Phur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2013 VW GTI Autobahn
I mean, Volkswagen based many of the car names off of wind. (Golf, Jetta, Passat) So that makes tornado red make a bit more sense. 🤷‍♂️

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
This is an oryx. My cars paint is white oryx pearl. Wat?

1632262868739.png

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
I mean, Volkswagen based many of the car names off of wind. (Golf, Jetta, Passat) So that makes tornado red make a bit more sense. 🤷‍♂️

Noice fun fact. Didn't know that. Yes, it can make a bit more sense now with that in mind. Still... THERE ARE NO RED TORNADOS!!

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP

Phur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2013 VW GTI Autobahn

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion
Our TDI Sportwagen 6M was Salsa Red. Now that color name makes sense! :)

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
Our TDI Sportwagen 6M was Salsa Red. Now that color name makes sense! :)

Haha, that's gnarly. I had to double check it and found plenty of threads referring to that, lol.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I do feel like there's room for improvement on white. Appliance White, Refrigerator White, Boring Ass White, Needs Bronze Wheels White, You Got out of 79 in a 65 Because It's White, Bitch I Ain't Got Time for No Colors White.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
Recalling the Salsa Red color, the VW showroom brochure cautioned against "dipping your chip in it". :D

That would of been cool in reference to actually "tuning" your car or as they used to call it, "chipped" it.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
slight derail. When you are asked "what color did you paint it?" it is fun to use the actual name. I painted the kitchen "Little Pond" then you can ask people what color that really is.

sloopercat

Go Kart Newbie
I actually named color as part of my job. Company made the colorants for tinting paint in the stores. Most of those systems had 1000 colors. We used to grab street maps, lists of parks, flower names etc. We were finishing up one color system and had this rather nasty purple color left, we named it Ticuf, which was understood if you read it backward.

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion
I found that Valspar paint at Lowes sometimes reuses the same paint color name for a different tint. I painted a piece of furniture in Coastal Dusk, then went to buy more two years later and found it was not the same color! :confused: