GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Paint chips

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
This is actually an awesome suggestion based on the above video that I posted...

"The best way to safely buildup your skill set is to grab a cheap car panel from a car wreckers and use that to practice on before attempting it on your beloved car!"

Honestly, if I had time and was mechanically inclined (I do computer stuff, I'm not completely useless), I'd learn how to do this... I can see it being valuable/satisfying.

Tacomonster

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Gti 2019
Let me tell you a story, grab some popcorn.

I got two nasty (they were small, I have OCD) paint chips on the hood of my S5 three weeks into ownership. Every single time I passed the front of the car my eyes went right to them, it was maddening. A giant rock (tiny pebble) hit the hood, skipped, hit the hood again and then finally ricocheted off the windshield (didn't chip the windshield, thank god). It bothered me so much that it managed to come up in a few conversations. This inevitably lead to a friend saying "I know a guy that can fix it without respraying the hood, it'll look mint."

Long story short - I call this guy, told him make/model/year/color, talked price ($280), ensured he understood that I wanted it to look like it never happened, read reviews and ended up agreeing to leave my car at his shop (detailer). Two days after I dropped it off, my hood was exactly as my friend told me it would be, mint. I was stunned. I asked him over and over what he did and at first he wouldn't tell me... but I am convincing. He ends up giving me this link and says this is the exact process he follows:

Well I would NEVER try to do this on my own, you may want to. If you can follow this process, it will literally look brand new/like it never happened.
Dude you should consider being a story writer. You are good at story telling. Having said that thanks for the info. Im pretty handy but not talented.

Tacomonster

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Gti 2019
@launchd - I’d also not be brave enough to sand my paintwork when repairing paint chips!

@Tacomonster; Dr Colorchip is good - we also have Chipex in the UK which is essentially the same kit.

I‘ve used Chipex and had decent results, although I found it took take a little practice to get results I was happy with. However, if you’re not happy with your initial efforts, you can just remove the paint you’ve applied using the blending solution in the kit and start again.

I’ve never used my Chipex kit on a paint chip as large as 3mm x 4mm and realistically, if you’re looking for a factory condition finish to the repair, you might not get that with a Chipex or Dr Colorchip paint kit - you’re more likely going to need a repair like the ones demonstrated on the Ferrari in the video posted by @launchd or get a localised SMART repair. IMO the colour of your car is also a factor in how well a Dr Colorchip will ‘hide’ the damage - you’re more likely to still notice it after repairing it on a darker, more highly reflective paint colour like Dark Iron Blue metallic than you would on a lighter non metallic colour like white. However, it’ll be cheaper to do it yourself, and you’ll probably get a certain amount of satisfaction from doing it yourself.

Good luck; I hope you get it sorted to your satisfaction, whether you do it yourself or go for a more expensive repair option.
Same, sanding is scary considering a small slip up can be a large headache. Any reason you didn’t go with the oem vw markets?

Tacomonster

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Gti 2019
I use the VW paint pen...kinda. I use the pen and dab some point onto a piece of cardboard, then apply it to the car via model paint brushes.
How close was it to factory with the pen? I had used a pen before with my old Subaru and it turned out horrible. not even close to the original color. It looked like I applied tar on my panels.

cb1111

The problem with some metallic colors is that the paint is applied in one direction - when you try to touch it up, those metallic "flakes" will look out of place.

Can you add two pictures of the damage - one close up and the other from a bit of a distance so we can see where it is on the panel.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Same, sanding is scary considering a small slip up can be a large headache. Any reason you didn’t go with the oem vw markets?
I don‘t use the VW touch up pens as I find the paint in the pen gets quite thick and blobby after a few uses - I assume it’s as a result of exposing the paint in the pen to the air when the cap’s unscrewed.

Also, IMO the supplied in-cap brush in VW’s paint pens is too large to get a good result on small paint chips - I also prefer using the end of a cocktail stick (or an unfolded paper clip) as it’s easier to apply a small amount of paint more precisely than with the VW brush (I use the cocktail stick application method in small paint chips with Chipex paint too). Also the VW paint pen paint is more difficult to remove than Chipex / Dr Colorchip paint if you’re not happy with your efforts.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
The problem with some metallic colors is that the paint is applied in one direction - when you try to touch it up, those metallic "flakes" will look out of place.

Yes, it can be quite difficult to get an accurate colour / shade match with some metallic paints, as the metal flakes in the touch up paint are unlikely to line up the same as the metal flakes in the factory paint, so reflect the light differently and possibly create the impression of a colour shade mismatch.

Last edited:

Tacomonster

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Gti 2019
Ok so I took your advice and ordered the dr paint chip product. Thank you for all you feedback guys. I’ll apply that when it arrives and update. You folks are wonderful people. Thank you 😊

Tacomonster

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Gti 2019
So here’s the update: I got my dr paint chip and got right to work. I followed the instructions and watch the YouTube videos over and over to make sure I didn’t mess up anything.
I notice that it didn’t seat well as the chips were too deep so I kept restarting. My ocd kicked in and 5hrs later I came to the conclusion that this is the best I can do. I’m glad I’m not a professional or I would be out of business.
It’s annoying that I can’t do anything about it but at lease it’s patched up to prevent rust. Man I hate people who don’t have an ounce of consideration for others. Thanks for all you help folks.

Attachments

• E0897CD0-4C47-49AF-B7F7-6EE515A4558B.jpeg
    E0897CD0-4C47-49AF-B7F7-6EE515A4558B.jpeg
    10.8 MB · Views: 176

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
So here’s the update: I got my dr paint chip and got right to work. I followed the instructions and watch the YouTube videos over and over to make sure I didn’t mess up anything.
I notice that it didn’t seat well as the chips were too deep so I kept restarting. My ocd kicked in and 5hrs later I came to the conclusion that this is the best I can do. I’m glad I’m not a professional or I would be out of business.
It’s annoying that I can’t do anything about it but at lease it’s patched up to prevent rust. Man I hate people who don’t have an ounce of consideration for others. Thanks for all you help folks.

Not bad, the nice thing about touch-up paint is that you can do it over and over as many times as you like. I use a product called the Blob Eliminator to fix my mess-ups.

Last edited:

Anthony3o55

Autocross Champion
Few months ago I bought GTI mats & repair paint off someone on here and only received the mats thrown in a box careless asf. Dude said he put it in the box but it wasn’t. Spent an extra $20 a mats smh.

Anyways, I still haven’t repaired my chips.
These are the chips I got on my car.
985459DA-B388-477E-BE5F-8204EDAA1A4F.jpeg
C3245D55-7739-43A4-A644-0AF2122FCB0E.jpeg

Is it me or do these cars chip paint very easily? And it got rust sadly

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
The Dr Colorchip is really designed for small chips and fine scratches, which is why the paint is thinner than the OEM touch-up paint. So the larger the area it has to fill, the more coats/layers are required to make them even. At least, that's what I noticed when I was fixing the 1,576 chips on my hood last Saturday.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
Few months ago I bought GTI mats & repair paint off someone on here and only received the mats thrown in a box careless asf. Dude said he put it in the box but it wasn’t. Spent an extra $20 a mats smh.

These are the chips I got on my car. View attachment 189800View attachment 189801

How long did those take to go rusty? I was too lazy to patch a bunch of chips on my hood up this time last year and they survived a Wisconsin winter without rusting. I think they are smaller and less deep than the ones in your picture though.

Tacomonster

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Gti 2019

These are the chips I got on my car. View attachment 189800View attachment 189801
I can’t say but I believe the car is treated at the primer level. I’m surprised your is rusting. Do you live by the ocean?