GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Paint chips

akimmel

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI AB 6MT
Few months ago I bought GTI mats & repair paint off someone on here and only received the mats thrown in a box careless asf. Dude said he put it in the box but it wasn’t. Spent an extra $20 a mats smh.

Anyways, I still haven’t repaired my chips.
These are the chips I got on my car. View attachment 189800View attachment 189801
Is it me or do these cars chip paint very easily? And it got rust sadly
I had a few tiny chips with rust in them like that. I used some iron remover spray on a qtip, then alcohol on a qtip to prep them. made it so I barely had to sand at all

Anthony3o55

Autocross Champion
I live inland in South Fl where it’s very humid, hot and rains very often. I guess those all come into play.

And I have no idea how long it took to rust. Probably a month or 2 I honestly have no idea

Tacomonster

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Gti 2019
I live inland in South Fl where it’s very humid, hot and rains very often. I guess those all come into play.

And I have no idea how long it took to rust. Probably a month or 2 I honestly have no idea
Moisture definitely doesn’t help. I remember when I worked at the cape, all the cars parked in in the lot were coated in a fine layer of salt. i had never seen anything like it. I would clean it up and patch it before it grows.

Anthony3o55

Autocross Champion
Moisture definitely doesn’t help. I remember when I worked at the cape, all the cars parked in in the lot were coated in a fine layer of salt. i had never seen anything like it. I would clean it up and patch it before it grows.
My car entire paint job becomes rust... Lol

Wdym by it would grow? Could it easily seep through the bottom of the paint

Tacomonster

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Gti 2019
My car entire paint job becomes rust... Lol

Wdym by it would grow? Could it easily seep through the bottom of the paint
rust is oxidation of iron. When oxygen bonds with anything it’s because it’s is a negative 2 charge. Iron which makes up steel on your car has a+2 change so they always attract each other. If it isn’t covered up. Then the surface area will allow more oxygen to bond and produce ironoxide(rust). The larger the area exposed the faster it rust. That’s why you see cars that have large surface areas of rust grow faster than a small area. My point is, you should clean up the rusted area while it’s still small and patch it up with touch up paint.

Tacomonster

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Gti 2019
Defo this ^^ and, yeh, for some reason they do seem prone to paint chips....
Good observation genegenie. In a non compromised car with no chips, the factory paint acts as a buffet to prevent steel exposure to the oxygen. This is normal because once you have chips, there’s no longer a barrier to protect the steel from exposure. The manual recommend washing the under carriage of your vehicle in salty conditions because with salt, it will eat through the paint over time and give the same effect if not washed off. Salt is the worst thing you can do as a splash of it can cover a larger surface than a chip would.

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
Yeh, if left even for few days rust can form on & under paint chips, the overall finish is compromised and it takes longer to get rid of the rust. A mate of my dad's owns a cliff top, static-caravan / trailer holiday home with a bit of land which he rents out to a local car dealer, forget which brand but not VW, as overflow storage parking. So he regularly has a dozen or so new cars parked for several weeks on the cliff top receiving the full 'benefits' of wind, sea air & salt treatment provided by the UK's North Sea. Don't envy the future owners of those cars....

Last edited:

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Just popped in to say if you have a metallic paint, don't use the OEM paint pens. The Flake doesn't flow right out of the pen tip, and it's going to look off.

Look and see if you can find the euro/Russian OEM touch up paint, this comes with a bottle of paint and a bottle of clear with brushes.

Outside that, Dr.Color chip is about the best i've seen for Off the shelf paint correction. Using that currently on some chips I have.