GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Paddle shifter installation gone wrong

edrex

Ready to race!
Hi all,
Got a set of paddle shifter replacements from AliExpress. Read and watched videos on how to install and gave it a shot. The pins came out fairly easily as expected.
Three problems arose: first, when I installed the first one (+ side) and replaced the pin the shifter was locked in place. No movement back and forth whatsoever.
Second problem is when I went to remove that shifter the pin was also jammed and although I got it out eventually I did damage the head and as far as I can find these pins are not available to order by themselves.
Third, once I reinstalled the OEM paddle it also seems to be locked in place now. It hasn’t affected the way the car drives, but does not function to shift gears.
Any ideas where I went wrong?
Below are the paddles I got:

Navi

Autocross Champion
damn man I feel for ya. I hate when I tackle a diy and it goes to shit. Luckily that hasn't happened lately... which means a big fuck up is coming sooner or later lol. Hopefully someone in the area can help you out. So many people do this mod, maybe someone won't mind giving some time to help out.

Last edited:

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
You have to make sure the paddle is aligned correctly and the "wings" inboard aren't caught before putting the pin back in. If the pin is hard to get in, it's not in the right orientation.

edrex

Ready to race!
Thank you. Can you clarify what you mean by wings?

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Many of these knock-off replacements don’t fit well. I bought 2 sets from same Amazon seller. 1 set was too tight and didn’t fit at all, 1 set was too loose. Both would have needed some some of mod to fit properly.

edrex

Ready to race!
nype, yeah I remember reading about your issues with these. Was crossing my fingers that I’d be one of the lucky ones I guess lol
So I understand the new ones not working but now that the old one seems locked up too I’m confused about what the problem is

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
As mentioned it is likely install error! I had a similar thing happen briefly when fitting mine but didn’t continue pushing the pin in any further, after ensuring the paddle was properly aligned it was ok, mine were from aliexpress also and were a little loose due to the holes (on the new paddles) for the pins being a tiny bit too big, I put very tight heat shrink on the pins and they fitted perfectly, I however took them back off because I didn’t like the matte finish (mine were silver), I then removed the anodising with oven cleaner and polished them,

The picture doesn’t do them justice as they’re actually a lovely mirror finish,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk