GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Pad & rotor combo question

Boje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Can anyone confirm for me that I ordered the wrong brake parts for my R? Guessing this is an obvious yes but thought I'd check.

I recently had pads & rotors replaced on my R, using what I thought were the same parts I went through two sets of on my previous car, a Mk7 GTI with PP brakes, except I had slotted rotors on the GTI, but, same dimensions/brand as these. I had them done at a different shop from where I had the two sets on my GTI done, a shop that seems to have a bit more attitude and a bit less inclination to be helpful / resolve issues than I'm used to (asked the guy, he said, "you order the parts, we install them, if they don't fit properly I assume that was intentional on your part"). 1600 miles after install I have rust rings around the rotors (see pics), clunking noises when I'm parallel parking or making a tight maneuver, and occasional squeaks when coming to a complete stop at slow speed. I had none of these issues with two separate sets of the same brakes (except slotted rotors) on my GTI.

Here's what I ordered:

Rotors
Front pads
Rear pads

And if it is simply that those pads are too small, are my options to either live with it, or have the entire job re-done with new rotors as well as pads? Any way to salvage these rotors to use with new, better-fitting pads after 1600 miles...?

Thanks!

IMG_2169.jpg
IMG_2172.jpg

Michael gti07

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Rabbit Cornflowerblu
I have that set of pads on my 2019 GTi.
Only the small unswept portion is rusting. These rotors are uncoated or unpainted? Normal, I don't know if anybody makes pads the absolute full width of disk area. If they did, then the edges of the pads could tear out.
If coated, they didn't quite get it right. Probably ground the disks AFTER coating.
Throw some naval jelly and caliper paint at the affected areas. Normal situation seen mostly when switching between pad sets, with slightly different pad widths.

Clunking noise?, some of the pads integrated metal springs? (positioning spacers?) may need to be bent out. I didn't notice any slop between my caliper and pads, but wasn't looking for that. Check the pads for wiggle, movement, as installed noise might just be pads wiggling. Make sure you applied some caliper grease to the pad contact points, and behind the pads where they contact the caliper. Squeaks will disappear after full wear in.

Also, your disk haven't fully worn off manufacturing grind marks, with the ceramic pads being less aggressive. Mine took a Looong time to wear in. Maybe over 2k.
I only highway cycled them a few times the first week (hard stops from 60+). Always coast a few miles after to cool down without pad deposits on disks.

Boje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R

Boje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Only the small unswept portion is rusting. These rotors are uncoated or unpainted? Normal, I don't know if anybody makes pads the absolute full width of disk area. If they did, then the edges of the pads could tear out.
If coated, they didn't quite get it right. Probably ground the disks AFTER coating.
Throw some naval jelly and caliper paint at the affected areas. Normal situation seen mostly when switching between pad sets, with slightly different pad widths.

Clunking noise?, some of the pads integrated metal springs? (positioning spacers?) may need to be bent out. I didn't notice any slop between my caliper and pads, but wasn't looking for that. Check the pads for wiggle, movement, as installed noise might just be pads wiggling. Make sure you applied some caliper grease to the pad contact points, and behind the pads where they contact the caliper. Squeaks will disappear after full wear in.

Also, your disk haven't fully worn off manufacturing grind marks, with the ceramic pads being less aggressive. Mine took a Looong time to wear in. Maybe over 2k.
I only highway cycled them a few times the first week (hard stops from 60+). Always coast a few miles after to cool down without pad deposits on disks.
This is all excellent info, thank you. I’ve never had these rust circles on my rotors before, maybe I just got lucky with pad sizes, but I’d never thought about the fact that if the rotors are coated then the part of the face not being used by a rotor shouldn’t rust like they are doing in this case. You might be right about them being ground after coating (they are coated). I had the slotted version of these rotors before, maybe they’re manufactured a bit differently. Anyway thanks again, great info

Michael gti07

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Rabbit Cornflowerblu
Your welcome.
Painting the disks is on my list when the current ones get replaced. (it'll be awhile).
I went with the ceramic pads for 2 reasons, dust, and to control how touchy the brakes felt at low speeds.
A+ for both.
(I later put in the ECS Master Cylinder brace, also for better brake feel. The mk7 ,7.5 firewall still flexes under braking!!!)

Boje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Your welcome.
Painting the disks is on my list when the current ones get replaced. (it'll be awhile).
I went with the ceramic pads for 2 reasons, dust, and to control how touchy the brakes felt at low speeds.
A+ for both.
(I later put in the ECS Master Cylinder brace, also for better brake feel. The mk7 ,7.5 firewall still flexes under braking!!!)
Yeah this is my third set of these pads, I like them for the same reasons. Never had these issues before, which is a bit disappointing, but the posi-quiets are still doing their thing (y)

scrllock

Autocross Champion
maybe check the shims (if they came with them), re-grease the backs, and then do some hard stops to re-bed them. but the wear itself looks normal for cheap off the shelf stuff exposed to moisture.

vdub761

Go Kart Newbie
Thank you! Was beginning to doubt myself
No problem man, it only took one winter up in Canada for the Rotor and hat to start rusting, was thinking of sanding them and painting them myself,

but Decided to go with this combo, I have not installed the coated rotors yet but I have installed the carbon fiber ceramic brake pads they due reduce the oem brake dust for sure.

https://www.powerstop.com/product/power-stop-z23-evolution-brake-pads/
https://www.powerstop.com/product/power-stop-evolution-coated-rotors/

Hopefully your able to determine what's going on with your setup

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

This, all of this.

AdamSheikh

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI | 24 RS 3
No problem man, it only took one winter up in Canada for the Rotor and hat to start rusting, was thinking of sanding them and painting them myself,

but Decided to go with this combo, I have not installed the coated rotors yet but I have installed the carbon fiber ceramic brake pads they due reduce the oem brake dust for sure.

https://www.powerstop.com/product/power-stop-z23-evolution-brake-pads/
https://www.powerstop.com/product/power-stop-evolution-coated-rotors/

Hopefully your able to determine what's going on with your setup
For what it's worth, I ran these pads for all of 3 days before ditching them and replacing with EBC reds. The rotors are fine, but the pads inspired zero confidence. The lack of dust was super nice, but not worth the sketchy pedal feel imo. Was never able to determine if I was sent the wrong part or if they were defective, but the pads were already crumbling as I took them off to put the EBCs in. Hopefully you're having a better experience than I did.

Boje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
For what it's worth, I ran these pads for all of 3 days before ditching them and replacing with EBC reds. The rotors are fine, but the pads inspired zero confidence. The lack of dust was super nice, but not worth the sketchy pedal feel imo. Was never able to determine if I was sent the wrong part or if they were defective, but the pads were already crumbling as I took them off to put the EBCs in. Hopefully you're having a better experience than I did.
Weird, yeah, I've had two sets of these pads in the past and liked them a lot – much less bite than stock but I don't mind having to really press the brake pedal, and I'm not tracking my car for which I'm sure they'd be useless. And they really are low dust which I like. Definitely didn't have any weird wear or crumbling problems with the previous sets I had.