GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

P1889 CEL Code

alau24

I've got a 2015 MK7 GTI and I recently had a CEL that comes and goes.
I brought it to a shop to get it scanned and came back with a few codes.
The one of most concern to me is the P1889 for Coolant Shut-Off Valve, as I tried searching through forums and it seems like nobody has had a real solution without the CEL coming back online.

The other code, P0118, is for the engine coolant temperature sensor. Assuming this sensor is faulty, could that result in the other codes popping up, including the P1889?

The shop did a smoke test since the one code came up for Intake Air System Leak, but didn't find anything. Does anybody have suggestions or experiences with the P1889 code? I'm also not sure where the N82 valves are so I could check if the connectors are corroded or if coolant is leaking to the connectors.

Attachments

• IMG_6818.JPG
    IMG_6818.JPG
    243.5 KB · Views: 1,910

alau24

Symptoms

Forgot to mention I've experienced my car stalling a few times since this CEL came on. Sometimes, it just keeps cranking until I shut off and try again. Twice, car came on but then stalls after a couple seconds.

Other than that, I haven't experience any other symptoms like loss in power during acceleration. I've noticed a little inefficiencies in gas mileage, but I'm not sure if that's me going crazy. Don't think it's a spark plug/ignition coil because no misfires came up during the scan.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI

alau24

Beautiful, thank you very much. I have an ECU Stage 1 and DSG tune through Eurodyne. Other than that, not many modifications my car.

I'll take a look at it this weekend. Seems like my car can still function for my daily commute in the meantime.

Amm5890

Passed Driver's Ed
This valve is a PITA to swap out. I had the same exact code and there was a little bit of dried coolant in the electrical connector for it. After replacing the code is no longer there. I do not have heat now though so currently investigating that. You have to remove the intake and discharge pipe and to get to it you’ll have to move a connector out of the way of the vacuum pump.

The connector you should check it the one connected to the n82 valve as well as the big gray connector under the washer fluid fill neck. Both mine were clean.

Mk7Santos

Car(s)
Mk7 gti Mk5 gli