GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

P050A00 Fault

mindonmatter

Ready to race!
Okay I just threw the same fault again today. No CEL. Shows up as intermittent in OBD11. Only thing I've changed is unplugging auto start-stop from battery.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Could be a coincidence. Sometimes it takes a number of cycles or miles to set again. OBD11 sucks at pinpointing problems. Take it to a dealer or break down and buy VCDS.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Good to know. Thanks W&T.

I just checked history again. The first time the P050A code was thrown was before I did the voltage tweak. So I have now removed the Throttle Response tweak as well. We'll see.

I to did the throttle response tweak/coding and the voltage tweak not long ago, had the same issue, changed it all back and it’s been fine since.

GTI-Jay

Ready to race!
Could be a coincidence. Sometimes it takes a number of cycles or miles to set again. OBD11 sucks at pinpointing problems. Take it to a dealer or break down and buy VCDS.

and say what ? oh i'm not getting any CEL lights or performance issues but my ODBEleven is giving me an error.

mindonmatter

Ready to race!
and say what ? oh i'm not getting any CEL lights or performance issues but my ODBEleven is giving me an error.

Exactly.

I reattached the auto start-stop wire, although I can't believe that would be causing the fault.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Okay I just threw the same fault again today. No CEL. Shows up as intermittent in OBD11. Only thing I've changed is unplugging auto start-stop from battery.

I don't get any faults from disconnecting the auto start stop from the battery.

jfritz

Car(s)
2020 DSG Autobahn
Sorry to resurrect this old thread but adding my two cents in case anyone is searching in the future.
Got this fault on my 2020 car that had 497 miles and was 4 days old from delivery.
VW service--after talking to VW tech case line--reset the learned engine settings and throttle body settings and tested again to confirm CEL did not occur with multiple starts on a cold morning. not sure that actually addressed the root cause, but at least I've got plenty of warranty left.

quailallstar

WOB DJ496
Car(s)
MY19 MK7.5 GTI Bunny
Sorry to resurrect this old thread but adding my two cents in case anyone is searching in the future.
Got this fault on my 2020 car that had 497 miles and was 4 days old from delivery.
VW service--after talking to VW tech case line--reset the learned engine settings and throttle body settings and tested again to confirm CEL did not occur with multiple starts on a cold morning. not sure that actually addressed the root cause, but at least I've got plenty of warranty left.

Just got my first check engine light and it was this same faulty. 2019 GTI DSG Bunny (built 9/2018). 8,800 miles on the odo and Cobb engine and DSG tuned via EQT at 8,000 miles. I've always thought my car idled rough during cold starts since the first day I took ownership. Not sure if this is some underlying issue or normal operating scope for these US-spec EA888 engines during cold starts.

15080 - Cold Start Idle Air Control System
P050A 00 [096] - Malfunction
Intermittent - Not Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 2
Mileage: 14439 km
Date: 2020.07.19
Time: 09:46:14

Engine speed: 914.50 /min
Normed load value: 40.0 %
Vehicle speed: 0 km/h
Coolant temperature: 78 °C
Intake air temperature: 57 °C
Ambient air pressure: 1010 mbar
Voltage terminal 30: 13.769 V
Unlearning counter according OBD: 38
Engine: operating status: IS
STATE_LS_SAE[1]: CL
T_AST_SAE: 12 s
MAP_MES_SAE: 103 kPa
Lambda probe voltage: bank 1: probe 1 (broadband probe): 1.953 V
FAC_TPS_1_SAE: 22.265625 %
FUP_H_SAE: 19770.0 kPa

Googling around I found someone in the JB4 tuned forums with the same "Cold Start Idle Air Control System Performance" fault on their 2019 GTI Rabbit. The culprit could be a clogged air filter, vacuum leak, Idle Air Control (IAC) valve failure, Powertrain Control Module (PCM) failure, Throttle body assembly failure or Wiring issue.

Last edited:

M3LV

Passed Driver's Ed
Same issue here, I‘ve got vagcom And had this fault twice. I’m not tuned yet. I have had brief rough idle on cold start. Once it threw a CEL and stalled. I printed out my vagcom log and stupidly cleared the code. The error has shown up since but I’ve never stalled again and have never gotten another CEL. Brought my scans to dealer while getting an oil change and they said Keep an eye on it, VW won’t do anything without a cel on.

Cssoz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf 7, 2017 1.8T
Is your SAI hose attached to the airbox? Have you done anything to the intake at all?
I have this code and recently changed my intake air filter. Any ideas?
Thanks!

Cssoz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf 7, 2017 1.8T
Good to know. Glad I got another scanner just for fault codes =D

turbovw1

Go Kart Newbie
Bringing up an old thread.

After changing the turbo and getting tuned for the G25, I am now getting this code with poor idle and performance at cold start.

We have checked all the lines to the turbo and intake manifold. All look good. Even hade the tuner to look over logs and everything and he said everything looks good and the issue must be mechanical.

The shop and tuner seem to think the vacuum tap off the RPC manifold is too small and may be causing the issue. They recommend getting another intake manifold but I really don’t want to spend $1900 on a new one with a bigger port.

Can someone point me to the right direction?

turbovw1

Go Kart Newbie
Bringing up an old thread.

After changing the turbo and getting tuned for the G25, I am now getting this code with poor idle and performance at cold start.

We have checked all the lines to the turbo and intake manifold. All look good. Even hade the tuner to look over logs and everything and he said everything looks good and the issue must be mechanical.

The shop and tuner seem to think the vacuum tap off the RPC manifold is too small and may be causing the issue. They recommend getting another intake manifold but I really don’t want to spend $1900 on a new one with a bigger port.

Can someone point me to the right direction?
Bump.

Still having this issue. Any way to help resolve it?